Windows 10: Windows Insider build - Alternative method to clean install

Discus and support Windows Insider build - Alternative method to clean install in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Windows Insider build - Alternative method to clean install [img] Information Some members have had issues with upgrading to and clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 19, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Windows Insider build - Alternative method to clean install

How to: Windows Insider build - Alternative method to clean install

Windows Insider build - Alternative method to clean install [​IMG]
    Information Some members have had issues with upgrading to and clean installing latest Insider Fast Ring builds, Windows Setup failing in offline phase before reaching OOBE.

In this tutorial I will show a practical workaround for those who cannot clean install Insider build. This does of course not help those who want to upgrade, but makes life easier for those wanting clean installed latest Insider build without crashes and GSOD in Windows Setup.

The workaround completely bypasses Windows Setup offline phase, deploying a Windows image which contains all drivers for your specific hardware, and when booted, boots directly to OOBE.

The procedure might look complicated and time consuming, but this is in fact easy, straight forward and relatively fast.

Clean install Insider build - The Alternative Method
    1.) Clean install a plain vanilla official release of Windows 10 (tutorial), at the moment of writing this it is version 1809. Upgrade it fully to be sure you have all drivers working.

2.) When updated, export current drivers to a folder (see Part Two in this tutorial).

3.) Get the Insider upgrade downloaded but do not restart to offline phase, just create the ISO using tutorial) to get ISO.

4.) Mount the Insider ISO you made (tutorial)

5.) Delete the original install.wim (or install.esd) file on your USB install media you used to clean install latest official release of Windows 10, the WIM (or ESD) file is located in %USB%\Sources folder.

6.) Copy your custom Insider install.wim file, the one now containing all required drivers, to %USB%\Sources folder.

At this point, you have an install media with everything except install.wim being original, latest official Windows 10, only WIM file being for the latest Insider build.

7.) Boot from modified USB. On region selection screen, press SHIFT + F10 to open Command Prompt:

8.) In Command Prompt, run DISKPART (#1 in next screenshot) and enter command LIST VOL (#2) to list existing volumes. Check the Volume number and letter for your Windows partition and drive letter for your install media containing custom install.wim (#3).

9.) Enter command SEL VOL #, replacing # with actual volume ID for Windows partition (#4). Enter following command to format Windows partition (#5 in screenshot):

format fs=ntfs quick label=Windows

10.) Enter command EXIT to quit DISKPART (#6)

11.)
    Enter following command to deploy (fancy geek word for clean install) custom Windows Insider build image containing your drivers, replacing drive letter D in ImageFile switch with actual drive letter for your install media, and C in ApplyDir with actual drive letter for Windows partition (#7):

dism /Apply-Image /ImageFileWindows Insider build - Alternative method to clean install :D:\Sources\install.wim /Index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\

12.) Close Command Prompt, close Windows Setup region selection. PC will reboot directly to OOBE, completely bypassing Windows Setup offline phase.

That's it. You have now a clean installed latest Insider build.

Kari

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 19, 2018

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Oct 27, 2019
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Mussels Win User

Installing Windows Vista/7 Via flash drive (Mussels Method)

Thread updated with a newer method that allows multiple windows OS's on the one USB. nice little windows GUI, but a few more steps than the old method.

This method supports XP.

Mussels, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Insider build previews

Because you are running a Windows Insider Preview build, you might be seeing defects or bugs in the build you are using, which is still under development. I suggest you use the Feedback Hub to submit a bug report detailing your problem.

You should only run Windows Insider Builds for testing purposes, not for production.

I recommend you revert to a commercial build such as the recently released Windows 10, 1803 revision.

Go to a working computer, download, create a bootable copy, then perform a clean install.

Step 1: How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Step 2: How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

If there are files on the drive you want to recover, see - How to: Perform a Custom install of Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

Andre Da Costa, Oct 27, 2019
  6. CK011885 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Insider build - Alternative method to clean install - Similar Threads - Insider build Alternative

2. Feedback - Alternative methods?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Feedback - Alternative methods?: I am unable to download the Feedback Hub, due to company policy on my work computer. Is there any other way to provide feedback on changes you would like to see implemented in Microsoft Windows?I would really like to see Microsoft move the 'Unpin from Quick access' selection...
  3. Feedback - Alternative methods?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Feedback - Alternative methods?: I am unable to download the Feedback Hub, due to company policy on my work computer. Is there any other way to provide feedback on changes you would like to see implemented in Microsoft Windows?I would really like to see Microsoft move the 'Unpin from Quick access' selection...
  4. Methods of clean installing Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Methods of clean installing Windows 10: Does it make any difference between clean installing Windows 10 with a booting via USB with UEFI support and b running the Setup.exe file within the bootable USB folder?...
  5. Linux with w10 - alternative methods?

in Windows 10 Support
    Linux with w10 - alternative methods?: Is this a fair summary of the possible ways to use Linux on a machine with w10 already installed ? w10p 1909 build (up-to-date), digital license, MS Account linked, single user. Option 1: With w10 shutdown use a Linux live bootable usb and operate the Linux system only from...
  6. Question on Clean Install method

Question on Clean Install method: Latest download Win10 download (Home version) Today at end of media creation tool's attempted Win10 install USB creation, I got msg box that said, Problem running this tool on this device, error 0xC1800116-0xA001B. So I ended up just downloading the ISO with the media...
  7. Windows Insider build 18362.1 install faliure

Windows Insider build 18362.1 install faliure: Let's get straight to the point: I am currently running build 18358.1 (19h1 insider preview) that I got form the Fast Ring. I got the update for build 18362.1. However when it reaches 94% of "Getting things ready" it gives the error message : " Error 0xc1900107 Status:...
  8. Windows won't install update to insider build

Windows won't install update to insider build: I have registered my account to get insider builds, and am currently signed up under the "Active development of Windows" category with the pace of new builds set to slow. I am currently on build 17134.228 and trying to update to 17713.1002. Windows Update (via settings) shows...
  9. Alternative methods for unpinning from Start?

in Windows 10 Support
    Alternative methods for unpinning from Start?: I don't know if this is a bug or fluke, but I had two Office 2016 apps pinned to Start in Win10. Later, I uninstalled Office 2016. Instead of the two pinned items also disappearing, they stuck around, but now they're just blank squares that (of course) do nothing. The...
  10. Windows Insider - Clean install latest Fast Ring build

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Windows Insider - Clean install latest Fast Ring build: How to: Windows Insider - Clean install latest Fast Ring build [img] Information Microsoft has a clear policy to release ISO images for Windows 10 Insiders only when a build will be released to Slow Ring. Quite a many of us keen Fast Ring Windows Insiders create an ISO...