Windows 10: Enable S mode in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable S mode in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable S mode in Windows 10 How to Enable S mode in Windows 10 Windows 10 in S mode is a mode that can be applied to a Windows edition to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable S mode in Windows 10

How to: Enable S mode in Windows 10

How to Enable S mode in Windows 10

Windows 10 in S mode is a mode that can be applied to a Windows edition to enable a productive Windows experience that's streamlined for security and performanace. By exclusively using apps in the Microsoft Store and ensuring that you browse safely with Microsoft Edge, Windows 10 in S mode keeps you running fast and secure day in and day out. The same technology that makes Windows 10 in S mode secure also creates some differences when creating software images for Windows 10 devices.

In previous versions of Windows, Windows 10 S was a separate edition that required working with a different Windows image than non-S editions. Starting with Windows 10 version 1803, you can Enable S mode on supported Windows editions.

It is not well publicized yet but you can set up S mode in PRO and Home at least (not sure about other SKUs).

To enable S mode, you'll create an unattend.xml file, and then use DISM to apply the unattend file to a mounted Windows image.

Here's How:

Step 1 - create file stucture for dism commands

I created the following file structure to do this

C:\test\answerfiles containing the xml file (I called it myunattend.xml file) created in step 2

C:\test\images containing the install wim file that we modify from the default in the standard MS iso.

Mount standard 1803 or 1809 ISP as a drive and copy install.wim from sources folder (note - I downloaded iso direct rather than via mct which uses install.esd)

C:\test\offline which needs to be created up front even though blank.

Step 2 - Create myunattend.xml file

Here we can use ADK and Windows SIM to create the unattend file.

See tutorial link below for the instructions to download and run elevated Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment are in steps 5.3 & 5.4.

Create Windows 10 ISO image from Existing Installation | Windows 10 Tutorials

using latest 1803 ADK

For 1809 you need :-

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...iderpreviewADK

and only installed the following component as per

Enable S mode | Microsoft Docs

i.e.amd64_Microsoft_Windows_CodeIntegrity component to Pass 2 offline Servicing

and set

amd64_Microsoft_Windows_CodeIntegrity\SkuPolicyRequired to 1.

I then saved the xml file as myunattend.xml in folder as above.Y

You can skip all the ADK/SIM stuff by simply copying following code to myunattend.xml file if you like using notepad or similar.

Code:
    Step 3 - apply dism to unattend file

Type the following command to mount the offline Windows image.

Code:
    For Home, change name to "Windows 10 Home"

Type the following command to apply the unattended answer file to the image.

Code:
    Type the following command to commit the changes and unmount the image. Code:
    Sometimes it does not properly dismount the files and gives an error message. The install.wim file is properly updated though. If you get that error, run following to tidy up dismounting.

Code:
    Step 4 - Install Pro 10 S

Create usb installation flash drive using standard windows iso, and replace install.wim in sources directory with modified install.wim in images directory

Install and setup in normal way, choosing Home or Pro as appropriate

You now have PRO or Home 10 S running in S mode.

You can in fact modify same install.wim twice repeating Step 3 above so iso has both Home 10S and Pro 10S.

Step 5 - Optional - Create bootable iso

Crete two new subfolders

c:\test\iso

c:\test\iso\isofiles

Copy all files from bootable installation drive to c:\test\iso\isofiles

Run following command from command prompt in windows adk kit. If you just copied xml file, you will need to install this as per link (install latest 1803 adk) - only need to install deployment tools ( copy of picture by @Kari)

Download and install the Windows ADK | Microsoft Docs

Edit: for 1809 use this link (until above link is updated)

Download Windows Insider Preview ADK

Enable S mode in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Enable S mode in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Code:
    You will now have a bootable iso 10S.iso in c:\test\iso folder.

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Sep 1, 2017
  2. cereberus Win User

Ok - when time permits, I will have a crack but not at the moment.

As a suggestion, perhaps a guide subsection in the tutorials section mihht be useful i.e. guides like this that are easy enough to follow but assume sone experience?

I have written a couple of guides that people here have happily followed but they do not have every click e.g. I might say "use fix wondows boot problems"using Macrium Reflect, rather than showing every click, putting a reference to the MR Tutorial.

I could video every step and create a video more easily I suppose.

cereberus, Oct 27, 2019
  3. How to enable developer mode in Windows 10

Hi Roshan,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We are glad to provide the assistance required to help resolve the issue.

For now, I suggest that you perform the steps below to enable Developer Mode via Group Policy and check.

1. Open Group Policy Editor and navigate to the following setting:

Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > App Package Deployment

2. You will need to edit and Enable the following two policies

• Allow all trusted apps to install
    • Allows development of Windows Store apps and installing them from an integrated development environment (IDE

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  5. New FF - passwords

Hi:

If that setting is already enabled, then I suggest as the next troubleshooting step might be Mozilla Safe Mode (not to be confused with Windows Safe Mode)):

Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode | Firefox Help

• Please report back and let us know the outcome, as it will dictate the next steps.
    • Also: please tell us what AV/AM/firewall programs are you running on this system?

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Oct 27, 2019
  6. The Ultimate Realtek HD Audio Driver Mod for Windows 10

For those who just need to enable Dolby Digital Live 5.1 for your realtek sound card here is complete manual. Works for me in Win 10 Creators update (1703). Easy installation if you do not need these Dolby things just allow DDL 5.1

Here is the post #27
    https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...by-digital-live-dts-interactive.228612/page-2
    and here is the link for Realtek R2.80 driver doownload (can not be found on Realtek official site)
    MEGA

You also need to enable Test mode before installation of the driver.

Enable Test mode:

Step 1. Open the Windows command promt as "Run as Administrator".

Step 2. Run "bcdedit -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS" (without the "").

Step 3. To finalize the process run "bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON" (without the "").

Step 4. Reboot and you're done.

To disable it do step 1 and run these commands on step 2 and 3:

Step 2. "bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS" (without the "")

Step 3. "bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF" (without the "")

Then do step 4 and you're done.

Then you can continue to installation of the driver.

I hope I helped you, if any questions, ask here I'll try to answer you if I'll be able.

dargissimo, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable S mode in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable mode

2. User disappeared after enabling safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User disappeared after enabling safe mode: I was accessing the hidden administrator cdm through enabling safe mode via restart. However my personal user profile has stopped appearing at the login page when entered into safe mode. This has still been the case after exiting to normal mode.I have attempted to perform a...
  3. User disappeared after enabling safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User disappeared after enabling safe mode: I was accessing the hidden administrator cdm through enabling safe mode via restart. However my personal user profile has stopped appearing at the login page when entered into safe mode. This has still been the case after exiting to normal mode.I have attempted to perform a...
  4. how do i enable typing mode after starting voice access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i enable typing mode after starting voice access: With "Speech recognition" I used to be able to say "Start typing", and then I could do code development or run Unix commands for example by spelling them out. I could not figure out a way to do that with the new "Voice access".Now I can only dictate, but cannot do coding....
  5. how do i enable typing mode after starting voice access

how do i enable typing mode after starting voice access: With "Speech recognition" I used to be able to say "Start typing", and then I could do code development or run Unix commands for example by spelling them out. I could not figure out a way to do that with the new "Voice access".Now I can only dictate, but cannot do coding....
  6. Enable Physical Keyboard in Tablet Mode Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable Physical Keyboard in Tablet Mode Windows 11: Hi. My issue is somewhat unique. I have an HP Envy 360 laptop. The hinge broke and now the screen doesn't work. I'm planning to get a new laptop at some point but for now I got a portable monitor. What I'd like to be able to do is, for the time being, basically fold the...
  7. Enable Physical Keyboard in Tablet Mode Windows 11

Enable Physical Keyboard in Tablet Mode Windows 11: Hi. My issue is somewhat unique. I have an HP Envy 360 laptop. The hinge broke and now the screen doesn't work. I'm planning to get a new laptop at some point but for now I got a portable monitor. What I'd like to be able to do is, for the time being, basically fold the...
  8. How to enable Device Discovery in Windows 11 Developer Mode

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable Device Discovery in Windows 11 Developer Mode: [IMG]In this post, we will help you with how to enable Device discovery in Windows 11 Developer Mode. The Device discovery feature helps to discover unmanaged devices such as mobile devices, network devices (like switches and routers), workstations, etc., which are not yet...
  9. Driver Unloaded Without Cancelling Pending Operations when enabling SVM mode - Windows 11 Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Driver Unloaded Without Cancelling Pending Operations when enabling SVM mode - Windows 11 Error: Hi all, I am trying to enable SVM mode on my Ryzen 3700x, but after I enabled SVM in the bios and I reboot to windows I get a Blue screen of death with the text:"Driver unloaded without cancelling pending operations. What failed: aehd.sys"when I disable SVM windows boots...
  10. Driver Unloaded Without Cancelling Pending Operations when enabling SVM mode - Windows 11 Error

Driver Unloaded Without Cancelling Pending Operations when enabling SVM mode - Windows 11 Error: Hi all, I am trying to enable SVM mode on my Ryzen 3700x, but after I enabled SVM in the bios and I reboot to windows I get a Blue screen of death with the text:"Driver unloaded without cancelling pending operations. What failed: aehd.sys"when I disable SVM windows boots...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Enable active-active mode

2. how to enable windows 10 s mode

3. enable s mode

4. how do i activate windows 10 s mode,
  5. enable s mode windows 10,
  6. enable windows s mode,
  7. install programs with s mode enabled