Windows 10: No arrows in Photo preview ONLY in Google Drive folders

Discus and support No arrows in Photo preview ONLY in Google Drive folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Photo previews of photos within a folder that is being sync'd to my Google Drive are NOT showing previous / next arrows. The same photos within a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mucci, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Mucci Win User

No arrows in Photo preview ONLY in Google Drive folders

Photo previews of photos within a folder that is being sync'd to my Google Drive are NOT showing previous / next arrows. The same photos within a folder not being sync'd to my Drive show arrows.

Anyone know what the deal is here?

No arrows in Photo preview ONLY in Google Drive folders [​IMG]

:)

Mucci, Aug 18, 2016
  2. JeffR_972 Win User

WINDOWS 10 -- Photos App Why cant I use my arrow keys to scroll through photos in a folder?

Well - I forced windows to rebuild the index, and i kept the google drive folder in there.

Arrows are still working when going to the google drive folder (both via quick access link and via the "this PC/users/..." folder).

The photos app still can't see any content within the google drive/google photos folder when starting the photos app on its own.

New finding: while the indexing was in process (i had just started it), the local Pictures folder didn't have the arrow functionality, and another folder within my Documents folder didn't have functioning arrows (my received files). Once indexing was done,
    the arrows in those local folders worked.

Using the Ctrl-A workaround in an explorer window did allow for arrow functions, but in my mind that isn't an option - the workflow just frustrates me.

Finally, I also just added my onedrive for business folder to the "where to look" section of the photos app, and it sees photo content there. My onedrive folder is a locally synced folder similar to the google drive folder (neither of them are "cloud only".

JeffR_972, Aug 18, 2016
  3. JeffR_972 Win User
    WINDOWS 10 -- Photos App Why cant I use my arrow keys to scroll through photos in a folder?

Oddly enough - i just tried to replicate the problem by re-enabling the indexing of the google drive folder, and the arrows still work.

So I can't say whether the issue occurs when opening photos app first. However, I just opened the photos app, and picked the "folders" tab at the top. If i choose the google photos folder (this folder and the "pictures" folder are the only ones shown),
    it says "No readable photos, videos, or folders found".

JeffR_972, Aug 18, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

It depends on what program you are using for previewing those files with.

bro67, Aug 18, 2016
  5. Mucci Win User
    Using the default: Windows Photos

Mucci, Aug 18, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    I would try something else. Especially with your resolution set so high.

bro67, Aug 18, 2016
  7. Try adding your Google drive to Windows Index

If that doesn't work, add your Google drive to a Library. You can create a new Library or add the folder to an existing Library
    Adding a location to a Library automatically adds that location to the index.

Slartybart, Aug 18, 2016
  8. Mucci Win User

Tried both indexing the Drive folder and included my Drive folder within the Pictures library but still isn't working.

Mucci, Aug 18, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    You do not need to add Google Drive to your Index. It actually slows down finding and loading photos. The arrows are because of your high resolution, not indexing.

There are keyboard shortcuts to go through photos. Left and Right arrows have always been the change to next or previous picture. 7 Keyboard Shortcuts for Photo Viewer If you can assign a mouse setting to scroll left or right, that can help. I use the Logitech M570 Trackball and it comes with two extra buttons that can be reassigned for picture scrolling.

bro67, Aug 18, 2016
  10. Mucci Win User
    It's not a resolution issue. Keyboard shortcuts don't work either.

Mucci, Aug 19, 2016
  11. The arrows show on the non-Google drive folder - how could high resolution affect only the Google drive folder?

Indexing can slow down searching IF the index is huge (indexing all files on C: or everything on the computer).

Mucci,

Please check your Google Drive folder security settings

Advanced
    System should have full rights
    Permissions should be inherited
    Also, is there an Album for Google drive in the App?

Slartybart, Aug 19, 2016
  12. Mucci Win User
    I clicked on "Enable inheritance" and the advanced security tab went from this:

to this:

...however I still don't have arrows in Photos preview. I'm not sure what you're talking about with the Album for Google Drive.

Mucci, Aug 19, 2016
  13. No arrows in Photo preview ONLY in Google Drive folders

Slartybart, Aug 19, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    Again, try a different program if the Keyboard Shortcuts are not working. Also it can be another tile or app that could be keeping you from using the Left & Right Arrows, even if you have clicked on Photoviewer to bring it forward.

There are way better free options like Gimp and others that work better than the freebie that Microsoft put on their OS. Also none of this has to do with Security Permissions, inheritance of rights, etc. It is nothing more than the program not working like it should.

bro67, Aug 20, 2016
  15. Mucci Win User
    FYI - I just got the Windows 10 Anniversary update and the problem is fixed.

Mucci, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. No arrows in Photo preview ONLY in Google Drive folders - Similar Threads - arrows Photo preview

2. Add Google photo and google drive support to the photo app.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add Google photo and google drive support to the photo app.: Hello, dear developers! I apologize for my English.I wanted to suggest that you add integration with Google photos and google drive services into Photos App. This will be convenient for policyholders using android smartphones. Thanks!...
  3. Add Google photo and google drive support to the photo app.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add Google photo and google drive support to the photo app.: Hello, dear developers! I apologize for my English.I wanted to suggest that you add integration with Google photos and google drive services into Photos App. This will be convenient for policyholders using android smartphones. Thanks!...
  4. Cannot remove read only property from google drive folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot remove read only property from google drive folder: Close dialogue box read only is still there. I literally cannot move the files.I also cannot copy from this folder.I https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-remove-read-only-property-from-google-drive/d27e458e-d05b-4392-a411-c6eca28dac63
  5. Cannot remove read only property from google drive folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot remove read only property from google drive folder: Close dialogue box read only is still there. I literally cannot move the god **** files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-remove-read-only-property-from-google-drive/d27e458e-d05b-4392-a411-c6eca28dac63
  6. photo preview only working on some

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    photo preview only working on some: some photo previews aren't working and some will only work on medium and not large extra large. have checked that setting to only show the preview not icons....
  7. Photos doesnt show the pics located inside the google drive folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos doesnt show the pics located inside the google drive folder: I added the google drive folder which contains my pics into the list of sources in the Photos App ,but it doesnt show anything in the collection or in the folder view ? Other "local" sources works fine ,from the drive folder it doesn't ;any one got an idea what might have...
  8. Application "Photos" - only photo preview

Application "Photos" - only photo preview: Hello. If I have photo files and movies mixed in the folder or loosely on the desktop, the default application "Photos" shows me a preview not only of photos, but also screenshots of the first frames of the movies. How can I change the settings of this application so that it...
  9. Google changing how Google Drive and Google Photos work together

in Windows 10 News
    Google changing how Google Drive and Google Photos work together: Many of you store your photos and videos on both Google Drive and Google Photos, which keeps them safe and easy to access. We’ve heard feedback that the connection between these services is confusing, so next month, we’re making some changes to simplify the experience across...
  10. Photos app doesn't see images located in Google Drive folders

Photos app doesn't see images located in Google Drive folders: I backup photos from my phone to Google Photos which then automatically syncs them to my hard drive to a folder in Google Drive. The folder containing these images in Google Drive has been included in the Pictures library, but the Photos app doesn't see them and says "No...