Windows 10: No Audio via HDMI after monitor wakes from sleep - AMD Radeon HD 7800

Discus and support No Audio via HDMI after monitor wakes from sleep - AMD Radeon HD 7800 in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hey! So I'm running my audio via HDMI from my graphics card and it plays through the speakers built into my monitor. When I first did the Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by wafcross, Aug 9, 2015.

1. wafcross Win User

No Audio via HDMI after monitor wakes from sleep - AMD Radeon HD 7800

Hey! So I'm running my audio via HDMI from my graphics card and it plays through the speakers built into my monitor.

When I first did the Win 10 update I had no audio whatsoever, and followed some suggestions on online forums that lead me to disable the Realtek High Definition Audio which I did and upon a reboot- my HDMI audio was working.

But then I had another weird issue. My PC is set to never sleep as I use it as a media server, but my screens turn off automatically after 10 minutes. What im finding is that when I wake up my monitors the audio stops. When I view playback devices I can't do any tests because "the device is already in use by another application"

(note: I have the checkbox for allowing an application to take exclusive control of a device un-checked).

So far there are only 2 ways to restore audio. 1) restart the PC. 2) go into device manager > Sound, video and game controllers > AMD High Definition Audio Device > Disable... wait a few moments > Enable.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!

:)

wafcross, Aug 9, 2015
  2. borg0128 Win User

Loss of audio on AMD HDMi audio interface after waking up from Sleep mode.(0x8889000F)

To add some additional background, in looking at forums this happens on Windows 10 with Nvidia and Intel HDMI audio as well. From my own personal experience with my home theater PC (with an AMD Graphics Card) that I upgraded to Windows 10, the only reliable
    work around for me was to create a batch file that would do the following:

1. Disable the AMD High Definition Audio Device

2. Wait for user input ('pause' command)

3. Re-enable the AMD High Definition Audio Device.

This allows you to avoid having to reboot but doesn't address the cause of the problem (which I haven't been able to find yet either). Step 2 was necessary for me because without it, the batch file would fail to re-enable (associated services likely were
    still stopping).

Using this method also requires the installation of Windows Device Console (Devcon.exe) which can be downloaded from Microsoft. There's a nice explanation here: Enable/disable a device from the command line

Additionally, there's a helpful thread on tenforums.com that talks about this issue: No Audio via HDMI after monitor wakes from sleep - AMD Radeon HD 7800 - Windows 10 Forums

The fact that it happens with HDMI Audio for every major graphics chipset maker and wasn't an issue in Windows 8 tells me this is an issue with Windows 10, as opposed to AMD, Intel and Nvidia coincidentally having the same problem with their respective drivers.
    Might not be a 'bug' and might just mean Windows 10 handles HDMI audio differently by design, but it's annoying regardless. Ultimately I downgraded back to Windows 8.1 because, quite honestly, I shouldn't have to run a batch file every time my monitor gets
    turned off or goes to sleep.

borg0128, Aug 9, 2015
  3. soccer81 Win User
    Windows 10 Blue Screen Error

I uninstalled the video driver (AMD Radeon HD 7700) and reinstalled from the AMD website this morning and received another unexpected store exception error this evening after waking the pc from sleep.

soccer81, Aug 9, 2015
  4. No Audio via HDMI after monitor wakes from sleep - AMD Radeon HD 7800

chris1neji, Aug 9, 2015
  5. Iriman Win User
    The only workaround that I've found is a restart. Its quite the pain, since my monitor is set to sleep 5 mins after not using it to deter my toddler. There hasn't been a time yet that the audio has recovered just waking up the monitor. hopefully we'll see a fix soon!

Iriman, Aug 10, 2015
  6. okEric Win User
    Having the same issue here too. It's annoying as heck having to reboot when I can't swap the audio to my TV. I've disabled my monitor from going to sleep and just set a blank screensaver to see if that makes a difference.

okEric, Aug 13, 2015
  7. hwajai21 Win User
    i'm having this same issue after Win 10 Pro upgrade, with sound to my monitor via Displayport.
    4770K, AsRock Z97 Extreme4, 7850 2GB.

have to disable/enable AMD High Definition Audio Device to get sound going again... annoying... (i did already disable onboard audio / remove Realtek drivers..)

hwajai21, Aug 14, 2015
  8. MRQ
    MrQ Win User

Having the same issue as all of you above here.

In my PC the only audio device enabled is the one from AMD's videocard. It worked perfectly fine before I upgraded to Windows 10; in Windows 8.1 I never experienced this issue. Upgrading to the latest version of AMD's driver for Windows 10 did not solve the issue (yet) unfortunately.

[EDIT]
    Since this issue/workaround can be really annoying, I created a simple program using AutoIT to disable & enable the 'AMD High Definition Audio Device'. This solves any audio issues for me.

Three steps to take:
    1. Extract all files from the ZIP to a directory; eg. c:\Apps\hdmiaudiofix
    2. Execute 'amdaudiofix.exe', during the first message I advise you to PIN it to your start menu.
    3. Everytime you have HDMI Audio issues, you just click the HDMI Audio Fix icon at your start bar; this will not show any message but simply disable + enable the AMD hdmi audio device.

Source code is also in the zip (amdaudiofix.au3). Special thanks to NirSoft for creating the included 'DevManView'-application.

Please let me know how it works for you.

Attachment was removed. It can be found here:
    [removed]

9. BEN
    Ben Win User
    Hi,

Thanks a lot for creating a small program to fix this issue while MS/AMD dare to take care of it (hopefully someone already reported it to them)
    I cannot download your program, though, @MrQ .

I get a "network error"

10. MRQ
    MrQ Win User
    Did not have this issue, but now, it seems the whole attachment got removed by something/someone.

Instead, I have put the file on my own webhosting:

[removed]

11. BEN
    Ben Win User
    Hmm, strange, still have the same issue. "network error".
    Can you ask someone else to try to d/l it to see if they have the same issue?

12. MRQ
    MrQ Win User
    No issues for my friend. Have you tried a different browser or even a different pc?

13. BEN
    Ben Win User

Ok, found the issue: avast webshield was blocking it.
    Thanks,

14. MRQ
    MrQ Win User
    Not sure why but I am happy you succeeded. Let me know how it works for you. *Smile

15. hwajai21 Win User
    update/edit: still no sound when coming out of sleep with the 15.8 beta drivers....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hey ya'll was just going to give a heads up that AMD released 15.8 beta drivers yesterday for windows 10 64bit.

can't say 100% for sure that the sounds issue is resolved but i did send to my computer to sleep manually and i had sound when i came back.

might be worth a shot. i'll report back in a couple days if it keeps working.

hwajai21, Sep 1, 2015
Thema:

1. No Audio via HDMI after monitor wakes from sleep - AMD Radeon HD 7800 - Similar Threads - Audio via HDMI

2. Monitor will not wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor will not wake from sleep: When my PC wakes from sleep it always used to wake the monitor as well but now when the PC wakes the monitor does not respond. The only way to solve the problem is to do a hard reset of the PC. The PC is definitely waking from sleep. it is just the monitor.I have read...
  3. External Monitor Via HDMI Won't Turn on After Waking Up From Sleep/Hibernation/Reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Monitor Via HDMI Won't Turn on After Waking Up From Sleep/Hibernation/Reboot: Dear Sir/Madam, I hope you are safe and well. Summary: External monitor connected to laptop's HDMI port will not turn on/receive video input after awakening from sleep/hibernation or sometimes reboot. the monitor will turn on after unplugging and reconnecting. The...
  4. AMD Radeon HD 6620G updat

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    AMD Radeon HD 6620G updat: How do I update AMD Radeon HD 6620G https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/amd-radeon-hd-6620g-updat/5121767e-b05b-4dc5-8a68-8f8ce430b31d
  5. Monitor will not wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor will not wake from sleep: I have tried many fixes found on the internet,i have changed setting after setting,created numerous power plans,tried different display port cables,i have a dell alienware 34 inch monitor,I9 9900k,asus rog maximus xi code mobo, evga ftw 2080 ti hybrid,corsair 64 gb 3200 MHz...
  6. AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series not displaying HDMI output in Windows 10

AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series not displaying HDMI output in Windows 10: I changed my drive to a ssd so I reinstalled Windows 10 on it. I normally use my computer with a VGA monitor but sometimes I plug it to a bigger TV screen with an HDMI cable to watch movies and such. After the install I can't get the HDMI to show anything, it just shows NO...
  7. AMD Radeon HD 3450

AMD Radeon HD 3450: So I recently purchased a refurbished PC, which is: Dell Optiplex 980 x64 based. It has the following basic specs: CPU: i5 650, 3.20GHz (Dual-Core) RAM: 8GB Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134 Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 3450 When I tried to run a few games like...
  8. HDMI not working with AMD Radeon HD 4200

HDMI not working with AMD Radeon HD 4200: Hi. I have a HP Pavilion dv4 with AMD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 graphic controller. When I installed Win 10, I was able to use the HDMI port to watch movies in my TV. Some time ago, the HDMI output didn't work anymore. I guess some Win 10 update broke the driver or...
  9. AMD Radeon HD 6300M adapter does not see HDMI port after Upgrade

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    AMD Radeon HD 6300M adapter does not see HDMI port after Upgrade: After upgrade to Windows 10, I cannot display from my HP laptop via HDMI to my TV. This is bad since I play movies using my laptop. Where can I find a display driver that supports Windows 10? The laptop HDMI worked with Windows 7 & 8. 64438
  10. Monitor waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor waking from sleep: I have my settings configured so my monitor will go to sleep. It goes to sleep but then immediately wakes back up. Looking to see what is waking it shows unknown? [img] Any idea on what is causing it to wake up? I think it's the new monitor because it didn't happen...