Windows 10: No bass in surround

Discus and support No bass in surround in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My setup: Nvidia GTX 970 with one of the HDMI ports connected to my Sony STR-DH750 receiver. Running on Windows 10 Home 64-bit. The problem:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mow1469, Dec 29, 2016.

1. mow1469 Win User

No bass in surround

My setup:

Nvidia GTX 970 with one of the HDMI ports connected to my Sony STR-DH750 receiver. Running on Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

The problem:

Sound works but I have no base when setup in 5.1 speaker configuration. I have it with plain "surround" and stereo, but as soon as I switch to true surround, I have nothing.

What I've done so far:

In my searching I have found the workaround to change the driver in device manager to straight HD Audio device but that didn't work for me. Also have tried other settings as well to no avail.

Anyone have any other ideas I can try?

Thanks.

:)

mow1469, Dec 29, 2016

2. best headphone for lumia 920

I want to know the best headphone with dolby surround & extra bass for Lumia 920.

PerwezIzHre, Dec 29, 2016
  3. graceboy9 Win User
    Nokia Belle FP1 and Dolby Digital Plus!

Do you really want to say that you are hearing a true 5.1 surround sound with complete bass effect.or just a shadow of it.then it is great otherwise a thing to satisfy non purists

graceboy9, Dec 29, 2016
  4. fireberd Win User

No bass in surround

When you use HDMI the sound is generated by the Video Card, not the regular PC sound card.
    Check the spec's for the GTX970's audio to see if it fully supports 5.1. Your post isn't clear but as I read it you are changing to 5.1 in the Sony. Does the Sony have an option to simulate 5.1 when only a stereo signal is input?

fireberd, Dec 29, 2016
  5. mow1469 Win User
    I will have to look and see if it fully supports 5.1, but I assumed so since I fired up a game to see and surround sound "worked" but no bass.

And when playing stereo content, like a mp3, there is no bass either.. unless I switch to stero in the speaker config.. it's the goofiest thing.

mow1469, Dec 29, 2016
  6. fireberd Win User
    Most new PC's have a digital S/PDIF audio output. If you have an S/PDIF cable and the Sony has an S/PDIF interface you could try that, which uses the PC sound card and see how that works, rather than the HDMI that you are using now.

fireberd, Dec 30, 2016
  7. mow1469 Win User
    Thanks for the reply, I actually put in a soundcard with that output in and am getting the same thing.

So that is starting to tell me it is either something inherent to W10 or maybe something I need to set up on my receiver differently.

I did notice that during my testing, the receiver flashed "PCM Linear" on it but from what I have been researching, that may not be something to worry about.

mow1469, Dec 30, 2016
  8. fireberd Win User

No bass in surround

There are several posts on here about no Bass in surround sound. Do a forum search for that and see if one of them is the same as your problem and if the problem has been fixed.

I don't have a surround sound speaker system so I can't test it on mine.

fireberd, Dec 30, 2016
  9. mow1469 Win User
    Yeah I have searched and tried a few things from this site to no avail. Thank you for trying to help, it is appreciated.

mow1469, Dec 30, 2016
  10. fireberd Win User
    Best option, until a fix is found, may be to run "stereo" and have the Sony convert it to 5.1 (many 5.1 capable amps will do that).

fireberd, Dec 30, 2016
  11. mow1469 Win User
    Good idea. I'm also going to try running one connection from the video card. What I mean by that is currently I have one HDMI port going to a monitor and another sent to the receiver. In theory that shouldn't matter, but you never know.

I think you are on to something though, seems this might be more a setting somewhere on my receiver than anything else at this point. I've tried other drivers, other connections (HDMI and SPDIF) and installed a separate sound card with the same result. While the test for 5.1 works and hits all the speakers, I understand that isn't a "true" result as it were.

I'm getting closer I think though just through sheer process of elimination.

mow1469, Dec 30, 2016
  12. FakeCrap4 Win User
    Registered just to say I'm having the exact same problem.

My GTX 1080 is outputted via HDMI to my Denon S920W receiver. Sound/surround works but there's no bass in stereo sound, and very little bass in 5.1 bitstreamed videos (DTS/etc).

If I output sound via my USB DAC (Fiio E10k) to my receiver via digital coaxial, bass works as it sound in stereo (but it doesn't do 5.1 well, which it isn't intended to anyways).

I tried switching the NVIDIA HD driver to the default windows 10 HD audio but it makes no difference.

Unfortunately, on the fly remixing is not preferable to studio mastered audio

FakeCrap4, Dec 31, 2016
  13. mow1469 Win User

No bass in surround

So to add to the troubleshooting list, I am now going straight from my video card .. to the receiver .. to my monitor and have switched to the Microsoft HD driver... same issue.

In doing more google searches, I suspect this is something with W10. There are just too many people with different set ups having the exact same issue but some are resolved with updating the driver while others like myself and fakecrap4 haven't had luck doing that.

I'm going to keep plugging away ... bass works if I change it to stereo so I could live with that for a while and even though the PCM signal being passed shouldn't be an issue, something about that raises a red flag.

mow1469, Dec 31, 2016
  14. mow1469 Win User
    Okay I will mark this as solved as I have fixed my issue. Here is what I did:

• After trying all the common suggestions about drivers and such, I had no luck
    • On a whim, I bought a sound card and hooked it up via the optical cable.
    • I also changed the speaker settings on my receiver from Large to Small.
    • I removed all sound drivers other than those for my sound card (Soundblaster ZX)

I now have bass in surorund sound. I also have it set to 5.1 in Windows and have checked all speakers with a surround sound audio file I downloaded.

My guess is that the driver coming off of the Nvidia card is only in 2.1 and it just can't decode/send the right sounds to the receiver over HDMI.

At any rate, hopefully this will help someone else.

mow1469, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

No bass in surround

1. No bass in surround - Similar Threads - bass surround

2. Low sound and no bass on my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low sound and no bass on my laptop: I cloned a NVMe SSD with Windows 11 to use it on a new model of my previous laptop Lenovo X1 Yoga Gen 4 to Gen 8. The Lenovo Vantage app updated all the drivers and all, and everything works fine except for the sound.I do have sound, but it's very low and has no bass. I tried...
  3. Low sound and no bass on my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Low sound and no bass on my laptop: I cloned a NVMe SSD with Windows 11 to use it on a new model of my previous laptop Lenovo X1 Yoga Gen 4 to Gen 8. The Lenovo Vantage app updated all the drivers and all, and everything works fine except for the sound.I do have sound, but it's very low and has no bass. I tried...
  4. Whenever I record a video on my Windows 10 laptop I end up having very bass boosted videos...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Whenever I record a video on my Windows 10 laptop I end up having very bass boosted videos...: So ever since I got my computer I have never figured out why every time I would record a game or stream I would have a sort of bass-boosted style sound that comes out of the recording during my games. The thing is, it sounds normal from the speakers and only affects the...
  5. Whenever I record a video on my Windows 10 laptop I end up having very bass boosted videos...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whenever I record a video on my Windows 10 laptop I end up having very bass boosted videos...: So ever since I got my computer I have never figured out why every time I would record a game or stream I would have a sort of bass-boosted style sound that comes out of the recording during my games. The thing is, it sounds normal from the speakers and only affects the...
  6. Whenever I record a video on my Windows 10 laptop I end up having very bass boosted videos...

7. Bass not detected by pc

Bass not detected by pc: I have a bronco bass from Long&Mquade and I try plugging it in to my pc and it would detect and it would record it when i did it with an electric guitar. My pc has a plugin thingy that fits the cord that guitar's use but when I plug my bass into it with the same cord, my pc...
  8. Bass not detected by pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bass not detected by pc: I have a bronco bass from Long&Mquade and I try plugging it in to my pc and it would detect and it would record it when i did it with an electric guitar. My pc has a plugin thingy that fits the cord that guitar's use but when I plug my bass into it with the same cord, my pc...
  9. How to fix my headset bass being too high

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix my headset bass being too high: I have an asus tuf a15 and I use hyper x cloud 2 wired and after doing a driver update while the headset was plugged I noticed that my audio sound a lot different on the headset the bass is too high that it almost hurt and feel uncomfortable. I did not change any setting from...
  10. No bass in surround sound After Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No bass in surround sound After Windows 10 update: It works on my phone perfect. But when my laptop is plugged in no bass. Its flat and plain sounding. Any one know how i can fix it 14170