Windows 10: No boot device problem

Discus and support No boot device problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A friend called me last night saying water was spilled on his laptop (running Windows 10) and that it would not turn (on). He brought it over and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sinjin, Jun 20, 2018.

1. sinjin Win User

No boot device problem

A friend called me last night saying water was spilled on his laptop (running Windows 10) and that it would not turn (on). He brought it over and it would not power up. I said I would look at it and he left. I then lifted the lid and saw that the machine did, in fact, have power. I saw the following on the screen:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (building 083)
    Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

This product is covered by one or more of the following patents:
    US6,570,884, US6,115,776 and US6,327,625

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Series v1.38 (06/16/15)
    PXE-E61: Media teat failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
    No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine

===================================================================================

I took the hard drive out of the machine and connected it to a laptop of mine (running Windows 7) using a USB adapter. The HDD will power up and my computer can see it. However, the drive has Bitlocker encryption and I cannot read anything on it.

I did see some water in the computer upon taking it apart and left it overnight to dry. I put most of it back together today, turned it on, and got the same message I posted above. I looked up the PXE-E61 message online. Pursuant to that, I went into the BIOS. The computer can see the hard drive. It accurately has its size showing as 1TB. I then enabled the onboard NIC so that PXE boot was disabled. The machine rebooted and this time it simply says no boot device found. I went back into BIOS and re-enable PXE boot so now I am back to the original message.

I would GREATLY appreciate any help, suggestions, and or advice that people can offer. Thank you.

:)

sinjin, Jun 20, 2018
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Boot Device not found

Hi Alan,

Corrupted system files or it boot to a different hard drive that it why you received the message Boot Device no found. To better assist you, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any changes prior to this issue?
    • Which build and version of Windows 10 are you using?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to perform automatic repair:

• Force turn off your computer/device 3 times until you reach the Automatic Repair environment.
    • On the list of options under Advance options, choose Start-up Repair and perform the instructions.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jun 20, 2018
  3. dalchina Win User
    Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Jun 20, 2018
  4. Arjay Dom Win User

No boot device problem

Boot problem

Hi Brandon,

Windows boot up problem can be caused by boot sequence and hardware issues.

For us to properly assist you, please answer the following questions:

• To avoid performing the same troubleshooting steps, can you tell us the troubleshooting steps that you've tried performing to resolve Windows 10 boot up problems?
    • Any error messages when booting your PC from the recovery drive?
    • Have you made any hardware or software changes on your device prior to the issue?

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Arjay Dom, Jun 20, 2018
Thema:

No boot device problem

1. No boot device problem - Similar Threads - boot device problem

2. Problem selecting and saving boot device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem selecting and saving boot device: I am using a computer with a X99-A ii motherboards. I am able to select the appropriate boot drive by clicking on it, and the computer boots ok immediately afterwards. But the selection is not saved.I have tried the instructions found online to move the selected drive up to...
  3. Laptop and boot device problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop and boot device problems: My laptop randomly would not let me login in and said I need a key ID. I don’t have one/ don’t remember it and I tried to reset my laptop but it won’t work. It now says boot device not found. I genuinely don’t know what’s wrong and I cannot access anything on my computer now....
  4. Laptop and boot device problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop and boot device problems: My laptop randomly would not let me login in and said I need a key ID. I don’t have one/ don’t remember it and I tried to reset my laptop but it won’t work. It now says boot device not found. I genuinely don’t know what’s wrong and I cannot access anything on my computer now....
  5. Laptop and boot device problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Default Boot Device Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default Boot Device Problem: I bought a new SSD drive along with my old HHD.I moved windows to the new SSD and from the BIOS I changed the Boot device to the SSD. The problem is when I restart the PC it runs the windows again on the HHD by default and I have to change the boot device manually every time...
  7. Default Boot Device Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Boot Device Problem: I bought a new SSD drive along with my old HHD.I moved windows to the new SSD and from the BIOS I changed the Boot device to the SSD. The problem is when I restart the PC it runs the windows again on the HHD by default and I have to change the boot device manually every time...
  8. Inaccessible Boot Device problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Inaccessible Boot Device problem: I decided to factory reset my computer and wipe everything from it to start fresh. However while waiting for it to load, i was greeted with the blue screen of death and the problem being that there was an error while trying to load up my laptop. The problem was with it having...
  9. “Inaccessible Boot Device” and Boot Loop Problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    “Inaccessible Boot Device” and Boot Loop Problem: Hello, I apologize in advance if this is marked incorrectly. I have an ASUS ZenBook UX330UAK and encountered a blue screen with the error “Inaccessible Boot Device”. This happened while I had 2 external hard drives plugged into the laptop. I was in the middle of copying...
  10. Problem: Inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem: Inaccessible boot device: Hi. I accidently switched off the current while Windows10 was shutting down. It was also probably in the middle of a Windows Update process. When I try to restart the computer I get a blue screen with error message "Inaccessible boot device". I have tried to restore to an...