Windows 10: No boot from menu

Discus and support No boot from menu in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I'm on Windows 10 32bit and have made a bootable usb Windows 10 64bit using 'Windows 10 media creation tool. My mother board (ms-7788)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MonkeyMan, Oct 25, 2015.

1. MonkeyMan Win User

No boot from menu

Hello, I'm on Windows 10 32bit and have made a bootable usb Windows 10 64bit using 'Windows 10 media creation tool.

My mother board (ms-7788) originally came with Windows 7 and its own bios. I now can't access the original bios and the uefi gives me no boot from option. Tried all methods found through me old friend Google.

Any help appreciated.

:)

MonkeyMan, Oct 25, 2015
  2. kimoefat Win User

No startup boot menu

I used to have ubuntu and installed beside it windows 10 but now it boot only to windows.how to show boot menu .

when i saw advanced system setting it only saw windows although the partition of ubuntu isn't show in windows.

Original title: Start up boot

kimoefat, Oct 25, 2015
  3. No startup boot menu

Hello Kimoefat,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

As an initial recommendation, I would suggest you to access the System configuration utility and check if the Operating System installation path for Ubuntu exists. To do so, follow the below steps.

• Type msconfig in the search bar and select System Configuration from the search results.
    • Select the boot tab in the System configuration console to check if the installation path for Ubuntu exists.
    If it exists, next logical step is to check if the boot menu time out has been set to 0, which results in Boot menu not showing up.

The boot menu time-out determines how long the boot menu is displayed before the default boot entry is loaded. It is calibrated in seconds. To change the boot menu time-out, use the Bootcfg
    /timeout switch. Valid values are from 0 through 999. You cannot use Bootcfg to set an indefinite time-out.

You can run the following Run command line to set the boot menu time-out accordingly. To do so, follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt

• Type in the following command: bootcfg /timeout 10

timeout 10
      will set the time frame to 10 seconds
    However, if the Boot path for Ubuntu does not exist in the boot menu of System Configuration utility, I would suggest you to check if the Ubuntu is overridden by the Windows installation or if the Ubuntu installation files are corrupted.

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 25, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

No boot from menu

At first screen when you switch on the computer (boot logo or computer status) press ESC 2-3 times (just to make sure it is detected from the computer). You should enter BIOS. Navigate the menus and you should find how to enable the legacy BIOS again. It is called CMS in some other BIOS. Make sure you enable your computer booting from legacy devices and UEFI, not only UEFI. Save settings and exit. Now you should be able to boot from legacy devices. To choose boot device, press F8 at first screen. The hotkeys (ESC for BIOS and F8 for boot selection) may vary, see your Manual, but ESC and F8 are the most common for desktop motherboards.

spapakons, Oct 25, 2015
  5. alphanumeric, Oct 25, 2015
  6. MonkeyMan Win User
    Thank you for your responses, I think that I've failed due to a basic mistake. I'm using a usb keyboard! I don't think that it's registering. Doh! I will try and get my hands on one and leave a post indicating the end result.
    in the mean time, is there a way to start the boot from usb process direct in Windows.

MonkeyMan, Oct 25, 2015
  7. RolandJS Win User
    Not entirely duh; I was using a USB mouse and USB keyboard on my desktop before buying and using PS/2 mouse and keyboard. I can't remember having post/boot issues. Wait, does it matter that I was and still am using Windows 7 Pro?

RolandJS, Oct 25, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

No boot from menu

Regarding USB mouse and keyboard, some motherboards detect them is DOS mode (BIOS, before Windows load) some not. It depends in the BIOS settings. There is a setting for manually enabling them in pre-Windows environment but I had some cases when they didn't work properly in Windows if enabled in BIOS. Take care.

Yes, you can start a clean install from Windows. Run Windows Setup from Windows and select Custom Installation (not upgrade). If you are presented with the option to keep your programs and files, select to revise settings and choose a clean install instead. I cannot remember exactly how to do it now, but if you see the on-screen instructions it should be pretty obvious. This will save some files in the disk and restart your computer. Upon restart you can format the disks and clean-install Windows, like you would by booting from the USB or DVD-ROM.

spapakons, Oct 25, 2015
  9. If you have UEFI you can do this, https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html If you don't, or you installed in legacy mode, that option will be missing. How old is your motherboard? Most will let you access the BIOS with a USB keyboard. Mine is wireless and I can still get access. Did you turn off Windows fast Startup? If it's enabled your PC doesn't fully shut down, even when you select shut down. It goes into a hybrid sleep mode. That mode is known to make it very hard or even impossible to access the BIOS. You need to boot up from a cold start for that, not a sleep or hibernate mode.

alphanumeric, Oct 25, 2015
  10. MonkeyMan Win User
    Thank you Alphanumeric. I have fast start-up off. Got the pc about 3 years ago running Windows 7 32 bit. Accessed the standard bios back then with no problems. I'm sure I've changed the keyboard since then. I got my Windows10 upgrade a month ago (32bit). Sounds crazy but in first start-up the power lights on other usb items light instantly. On the keyboard it only apeers after Windows kicks in. Off to pick up a cheep ps/2 keyboard tomorrow to clear this up. I hope. Just burnt a DVD in case that tried to boot first. No luck.

Some things should just be simple!

MonkeyMan, Oct 26, 2015
  11. Installing or upgrading to Windows 10 won't make your BIOS UEFI by the way. That's determined during manufacture. If it is UEFI you can install in UEFI or legacy mode, your choice. If its only a legacy BIOS that's all you get. What mode you install in will not change the BIOS menu you see when you access the BIOS. The BIOS is independent of the OS installed. My laptop has a UEFI BIOS and my older desktop PC is only legacy BIOS. I run Windows 10 on both.

alphanumeric, Oct 26, 2015
  12. spapakons Win User
    Regarding the USB keyboard, it may have to be enabled from BIOS to work in pre-Windows environment, but if you quickly press ESC (most motherboards) or F2 (Asrock motherboards and notebooks) you should be able to enter BIOS and change it if necessary. You have only a few seconds to do that, so you have to be quick. Press ESC 2-3 times at first boot logo (to make sure it is detected).

spapakons, Oct 26, 2015
  13. No boot from menu

Legacy USB support I think? For USB keyboard emulation. Resetting the BIOS to defaults should enable it. It's enabled by default.

alphanumeric, Oct 26, 2015
  14. spapakons Win User
    Yes, that is the setting I'm talking about. Check if it is enabled.

spapakons, Oct 26, 2015
  15. MonkeyMan Win User
    Ps/2 keyboard did not work at first. I did a cmos reset and all was good. Thank you for all contributions.

MonkeyMan, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

No boot from menu

1. No boot from menu - Similar Threads - boot menu

2. Can't find boot priority order in bios menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find boot priority order in bios menu: I got an SSDc installed in my laptop which is the main drive now with the os. I wanted to switch back to a different drived as main boot priority. I even migrated os from C to D successfully but, in the bios menu all I see is:Boot mode UEFIFast bootPXE Boot to lanIPV4 PXE...
  3. Can't find boot priority order in bios menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find boot priority order in bios menu: I got an SSDc installed in my laptop which is the main drive now with the os. I wanted to switch back to a different drived as main boot priority. I even migrated os from C to D successfully but, in the bios menu all I see is:Boot mode UEFIFast bootPXE Boot to lanIPV4 PXE...
  4. Can't find boot priority order in bios menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I am using Windows 11 and everytime I start my laptop it ask me to go to boot menu.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am using Windows 11 and everytime I start my laptop it ask me to go to boot menu.: I have a ACER Core i3 laptop and i have been using windows since 5 years. I have started facing this problem very recently. When ever I start my laptop it asks me to go to the Boot Menu. I tried to restart it many times yet the problem stays the sameCan you please tell me how...
  6. I am using Windows 11 and everytime I start my laptop it ask me to go to boot menu.

I am using Windows 11 and everytime I start my laptop it ask me to go to boot menu.: I have a ACER Core i3 laptop and i have been using windows since 5 years. I have started facing this problem very recently. When ever I start my laptop it asks me to go to the Boot Menu. I tried to restart it many times yet the problem stays the sameCan you please tell me how...
  7. Window 10 stuck in boot menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window 10 stuck in boot menu: I TRY SO MANY THINGS BUT IT IS NOT FIX ITS START WHEN I REINSTALL WINDOW 10 BECAUSE OF MY WINDOW DENFENDER IS NOT ONAFTER WINDOW 10 INSTALL 100% THAN IT SHOW VERIFY INSTALL THEN MY LAPTOP SHUT DOWN AND RESTART AND BLUE SCREEN APPEAR AND AFTER IT STUCK IN BOOT MENU AND AFTER...
  8. Window 10 stuck in boot menu

Window 10 stuck in boot menu: I TRY SO MANY THINGS BUT IT IS NOT FIX ITS START WHEN I REINSTALL WINDOW 10 BECAUSE OF MY WINDOW DENFENDER IS NOT ONAFTER WINDOW 10 INSTALL 100% THAN IT SHOW VERIFY INSTALL THEN MY LAPTOP SHUT DOWN AND RESTART AND BLUE SCREEN APPEAR AND AFTER IT STUCK IN BOOT MENU AND AFTER...
  9. Window 10 stuck in boot menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. I can’t access the boot menu

I can’t access the boot menu: So basically I got a hammy-down pc from 2016 that has a msi motherboard, so my question is why can’t I open the boot/bios menu on startup, because nothing turns on until I get to the windows log in screen and I really need to change the disk I boot to, because I boot to a 27...