Windows 10: No boot menu on dual boot WIn8.1↔10

Discus and support No boot menu on dual boot WIn8.1↔10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; HIYAS I have installed Win10 on secondary partition while keeping Windows 8.1 as primary. Everything went fine, after few reboots Win 10 was ready to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Anakunda, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Anakunda Win User

No boot menu on dual boot WIn8.1↔10

HIYAS
    I have installed Win10 on secondary partition while keeping Windows 8.1 as primary. Everything went fine, after few reboots Win 10 was ready to use. After setting up things I rebooted, In boot manager I have two entries
    - Windows 10 as default
    - Windows 8.1
    I choose more choices, change booting default and select Windows 8.1, then back to boot menu. Windows 8.1 take first place, I select it and boot. After closing Windows 8.1 session I reboot and await the boot menu but ooooooooops, there's none *Eek. Something had to go wrong. I used Paragon HDM advanced recovery CD to autorepair boot issues but apparently without any effect, boot menu missing. Now I don't know how to selectively boot to Windows 10.
    Thanks for any advice how to restore my Windows boot menu (with Windows 8.1 as default).

:)

Anakunda, Jul 17, 2015
  2. bobrcnut Win User

Replace dual boot XP/Win8.1 with dual boot XP/Win10?

From what I've seen here, it will not be possible to set up a new dual boot system with Windows 10 in one partition, but what about replacing Win8.1 with Windows 10 on a system that is ALREADY dual boot? In other words, can I boot into the existing Win8.1
    system, then do the Win10 upgrade to that partition without affecting the XP partition?

bobrcnut, Jul 17, 2015
  3. LewisAM Win User
    Dual Boot Win10 & Win8.1

I setup a dual boot system for Win10 and Win8.1 because I need to run software for a client that is not Win10 compliant. But after the installation of Win10 it says that it is not activated. How do I activate the Win10 system?

LewisAM, Jul 17, 2015
  4. No boot menu on dual boot WIn8.1↔10

Are you booting into 8.1 without any problem?

cyberrufus, Jul 17, 2015
  5. Anakunda Win User
    Yeah no problems with Win8, except that on boot screen the wheel is missing (cosmetic issue) and no boot menu at all.

Greatest solution would be flexible 3rd party UEFI boot manager as Windows BCD has been always obscure, hardly repairable and hardly maintainable.

Anakunda, Jul 17, 2015
  6. Anakunda Win User
    internal HDD, 5th partition

No boot menu on dual boot WIn8.1↔10 [​IMG]

Anakunda, Jul 17, 2015
  7. Try assigning a drive letter to your 10 partition. If you used D, for instance, you would enter the following command in an elevated prompt to create the boot files:

Code: bcdboot D:\Windows[/quote] Opening msconfig from a run command will give you the option of viewing the boot entries and choosing a default.

Edit: Is there a reason your 10 partition doesn't have a drive letter assigned to it?

cyberrufus, Jul 17, 2015
  8. Anakunda Win User

So no

bcdboot U:\Windows

finished success, but the only effect is that boot wheel animation shows up again now. Boot menu skipped though.

Anakunda, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. No boot menu on dual boot WIn8.1↔10 - Similar Threads - boot menu dual

2. dual boot menu and gnu grub

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    dual boot menu and gnu grub: in windows 10 i got only one os (that is win 10 ) and i still see dual boot menu and when i open my pc it starts from gnu grub please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-menu-and-gnu-grub/e73f0933-cd9e-4cd5-9936-e6d3c3851390"
  3. Previous dual-boot: deleted old Win8, now Win10 won't boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Previous dual-boot: deleted old Win8, now Win10 won't boot: EDIT What actually went wrong and how to prevent this from happening to you: What happened was that when you installed Windows 10, the setup program saw the system partition and boot files on the old hard drive and, by default, updates the old system partition/boot...
  4. Dual boot no option menu

Dual boot no option menu: I'm currently running ver 14393 (32) and tried installing 14986 (insider) on a partition. The install went ok but the installed version had some problems: repeated BSODs and really slow response. The hard part was getting back to my working version. I thought there was a boot...
  5. Dual Boot No Boot Menu

Dual Boot No Boot Menu: Ladies and Gentlemen I am in a new arena and need some help. I have been in the INI and BCD Arena but not the EFI MBR. I decided to go with a new motherboard and AMD RYZEN CPU. I set up the new system and moved my hard drives with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and Windows 8.1 Pro...
  6. graphical style dual boot menu

graphical style dual boot menu: Hi , I have a dual boot system ( windows 10 (1st default), windows 8.1 (2nd)) . The dual boot menu in windows 10 is graphical style but in windows 8.1 is classic , black-white line style . How can fix it , in order to have graphical mode both ? i don't like classic line...
  7. No dual boot menu at all?!

No dual boot menu at all?!: Hello, ] I recently (clean) installed Windows 10 on a new SSD. Windows 7 resides on my first drive. 1) I first set the USB to boot from; 2) Began to install Windows 10; 3) First snare: upon first reboot, after removing the USB, the system just started my old...
  8. Strange Dual-Boot Menu Problem

Strange Dual-Boot Menu Problem: I have a dual-boot problem. My desktop PC has two harddrives, Drive 0 and Drive 1. Drive 0 (my primary boot drive) has a single partition containing Windows 10 on Drive C:. Drive 1 has two partitions: a 100MB System Reserved partition containing the MBR, etc., and a large...
  9. Dual boot: Safe to delete 1 OS ?

Dual boot: Safe to delete 1 OS ?: Hello ! Currently, I have dual boot Win7 and Win10. And the only reason I have Win7 is because the drivers for a printer were not updated to Win10. Now recently HP did just that, and I no longer need Win7. The way I have it set up is that I have Win7 on one partition,...
  10. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?: Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact. Is this possible? Can I just go through the upgrade process from...