Windows 10: No Browser but Edge Will Connect

Discus and support No Browser but Edge Will Connect in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Our problem is eerily similar to the one posted by grandpa1948 Edge browser owns my laptop. I didn't want to piggyback onto his thread, and from... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by boweasel, Feb 17, 2017.

1. boweasel Win User

No Browser but Edge Will Connect

Our problem is eerily similar to the one posted by grandpa1948 Edge browser owns my laptop. I didn't want to piggyback onto his thread, and from reading his thread, he didn't seem to achieve any resolution.

This is a Toshiba Satellite L755-S5153. It has Firefox, IE11 and MS Edge. The only browser that connects to the Internet is Edge. What is different about Edge? Is it actually a browser in the IE, Chrome, Opera and Firefox sense of the word?

I have run every test and process I can think of
    • SFC /scannow
    • Adwcleaner
    • Malwarebytes
    • Windows Defender
    • netsh winsock reset
    • netsh int ip reset
    • chkdsk /r /f
    Nothing has made a difference. Netsh int ip reset gives me an error. Trying to install Chrome gives me errors. (I have turned off the Windows Firewall).
    No Browser but Edge Will Connect [​IMG]

Before I discovered that Edge worked we actually went out and bought a new laptop. We'd done a terrible job of bookmarking and I wanted to take my internet history and copy it to the new laptop - Need to copy IE11 History to new PC - Access Denied. If you open the link you'll see that the topic has received next to nothing in response

:)

boweasel, Feb 17, 2017

2. edge browser will only connect via vpn

I have Mozilla, explorer and edge browsers. Edge browser will
    only connect via my vpn (astril). The other browsers will connect with vpn on or off, how can I get Edge to connect with vpn off?

JefesitoHK, Feb 17, 2017
  3. Nick Dich Win User
    edge browser will only connect via vpn

Hi Jefesito,

There might be incorrect settings on Microsoft Edge, the reason why it will only connect via VPN. We need to ask you the following questions so we can further assist you with your concern:

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Is this a brand new computer?
    • Is this a work computer or just a personal computer?
    • When did this issue started?
    • Did you received any error message while connecting?
    • Do you remember changing any settings on this computer before the issue stated to happen?
    • What other troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We will be waiting for your response.

Nick Dich, Feb 17, 2017
  4. No Browser but Edge Will Connect

Have you tried changing and purging DNS?

ipconfig /flushdns
    wmic nicconfig where DHCPEnabled=TRUE call SetDNSServerSearchOrder ("208.67.222.222","208.67.220.220")

Download WN.bat and run it as admin to reset network.
    If you receive and error in the end, you need to take ownership of this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nsi\{eb004a00-9b1a-11d4-9123-0050047759bc}\26

how to take ownership permission of a registry key in windows 10 - Howtosolveit - YouTube

TairikuOkami, Feb 18, 2017
  5. boweasel Win User
    Thanks, and I really had high hopes for this one. I'd already found the registry 26 permission bit in the W8 forum, had already tried it, and found it did nothing. But I did the flushdns, downloaded the bat file, ran it in an elevated prompt, and again went into the registry. The check mark had disappeared from Full Control, so I put it back in, hit apply, hit okay, and rechecked the permission. The check mark was still there.

Trying to access IE11 or Firefox, however, still gave me the same errors as before - Server not found or Page cannot be displayed.

Then I rebooted the PC. Not only did IE and FF still not work, but the 26 Full control permission checkmark had disappeared.

And I have no idea what the phrase means after the flushdns (I did the ipconfig /flush in an elevated prompt, but nothing was done with the 'wmic....' string.
    ipconfig /flushdns
    wmic nicconfig where DHCPEnabled=TRUE call SetDNSServerSearchOrder ("208.67.222.222","208.67.220.220")

boweasel, Feb 18, 2017
  6. TairikuOkami, Feb 18, 2017
  7. boweasel Win User
    I don't know how to do that in Windows 10 apparently. This is as far as I get

boweasel, Feb 18, 2017
  8. boweasel Win User

I have already tried going into Reset This PC, choosing to keep my files. It says 'Getting a few things ready, it slowly goes to 100%, the machine reboots to a blue screen reading 'Resetting Your PC'. It again slowly climbs toward 100%, but at some point it says 'There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made.' There is but a single button which says 'Cancel'.

Great to see how far MS has come in providing detailed explanations about what's wrong with a PC.

boweasel, Feb 18, 2017
  9. lx07 Win User
    You could try this (new in the 1607 version) - it removes the network driver and after reboot resets everything to defaults...

Settings > Network and Internet > Status > Network reset

10. boweasel Win User
    Thanks for the reply...
    Well, this is the 1607 build. But it didn't do squat. Same errors as before on launching Firefox, IE11 or installing Chrome

boweasel, Feb 18, 2017
  11. lx07 Win User
    You ran sfc /scannow you said. Did it report anything?

Did you run dism?

Reason I'm asking is this odd mswsock.dll 'not designed to run on windows' error you have. It should definitely exist (in system32). It is a standard bit of the OS. DISM might fix it if SFC didn't.

Give this a go: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

There is nothing wrong with your netsh int ip reset access denied by the way. That is normal - I get the same. You could fix it like this Error when resetting tcp/ip stack but it probably isn't the cause of your error.

12. boweasel Win User

I would post the DISM log file, but it tells me the file is too large for the forum.

boweasel, Feb 18, 2017
  13. lx07 Win User

This jumps out from the CBS log
    Not sure what you could do. Restore mswsock.dll back from installation ISO perhaps.

Hopefully someone better at looking at these logs can help.

14. boweasel Win User
    I have searched the drive for occurrences of mswsock.dll

boweasel, Feb 19, 2017
  15. boweasel Win User
    It's been a week now.... Anyone else have any thoughts on this.... other than a complete reinstall?

boweasel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. No Browser but Edge Will Connect - Similar Threads - Browser Edge Connect

2. Using Edge as browser unable to connect to internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using Edge as browser unable to connect to internet: We tried using chrome and it worked just fine but edge, which we’ve been using for years will not connect to the Internet what could cause this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-edge-as-browser-unable-to-connect-to/eca56c73-1059-42ec-adb5-4cb5a62f0e7a
  3. Using Edge as browser unable to connect to internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using Edge as browser unable to connect to internet: We tried using chrome and it worked just fine but edge, which we’ve been using for years will not connect to the Internet what could cause this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-edge-as-browser-unable-to-connect-to/eca56c73-1059-42ec-adb5-4cb5a62f0e7a
  4. Using Edge as browser unable to connect to internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. edge browser

in Browsers and Email
    edge browser: Hi is their a way to put a menu bar like on internet explorer? the reason why is when using internet explorer you can click on file-send- link by email can not seem to find that option with edge. EDIT: i should of said this is on a win 7 work computer i use 160084
  6. Browsers don't connect - except old Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Browsers don't connect - except old Edge: I recently made a repair install on my hardly ever used 2nd machine. Now I notice that I can only browse the Internet via Edge, no other browser connects - they keep trying forever. Email program gets stuck. Download speed can be measured via speedtest app. I checked all...
  7. NO BROWSER CONNECT EXCEPT MICROSOFT EDGE

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NO BROWSER CONNECT EXCEPT MICROSOFT EDGE: After updating Windows to version 1803, my browser Opera stop to work, then I installed Chrome and Firefox to check, bu the only browser working is Edge. When I open a site in Opera it doesn't work, but after I open the same site in Edge, then it opens in Opera also....
  8. edge browser

in Browsers and Email
    edge browser: hi all,I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 a while ago.I can get the start menu ok but cant get the edge browser or cortona.When I click on edge it comes on for a few seconds then leaves the screen.Anybody got any ideas why?Your help would be very much appreciated....
  9. Edge is not connecting to the net but others browsers do...

in Browsers and Email
    Edge is not connecting to the net but others browsers do...: Not having Edge means some of the tiles do not work, Any that need your location, contact support, money, People etc.. Also I cannot add a user profile connecting my Hotmail account because it will not connect to the net.. I looked into the MS Community and Tech Net but...
  10. Edge Browser

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Browser: How do I download & install the Edge Browser? 5765