Windows 10: No display on laptop's external monitor-Monitor recognized but blank

Discus and support No display on laptop's external monitor-Monitor recognized but blank in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; After the recent Windows 10 update, my wife's laptop no longer displays on the external monitor. All was well before the update. I am comfortable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by delpi767, Dec 7, 2017.

1. delpi767 Win User

No display on laptop's external monitor-Monitor recognized but blank

After the recent Windows 10 update, my wife's laptop no longer displays on the external monitor. All was well before the update.

I am comfortable that Windows sees the monitor because clicking on Display Settings shows two displays. If I unplug the HDMI cable, only one display is shown.

I have confirmed that the monitor works by trying it with another laptop. I have also changed the HDMI cable between the laptop and the external monitor.

Device manager reports that I have the latest display driver installed.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

:)

delpi767, Dec 7, 2017
  2. ASams23 Win User

Windows 10 and displaying content on two external monitors.

Windows 10 display options is not detecting both my external monitors. It detects the laptop and one of the external monitors. I need to display different screens of information on each external monitor. What do I need to do to get both external monitors
    recognized?

ASams23, Dec 7, 2017
  3. CRXTim Win User
    dual external displays on lenovo g50-45 and windows 10

When I try and connect a second monitor to either VGA or HDMI ports, it works fine, giving me a display on the laptop and whichever display I plug in. When I try and use 2 external displays, the laptop recognizes there are 3 displays (the laptop screen
    and the 2 external monitors) but it only allows me to display on the laptop and one or the other of the external displays. I want to display solely on the 2 external displays and turn off the laptop screen. I say it recognizes both external monitors because
    when I go into settings, it shows 3 displays.

I do not get any error messages.

When I switch the cables, the laptop defaults to the HDMI when I have both HDMI and VGA connected, but when I disconnect the HDMI, the display shows up on the monitor plugged into the VGA port.

CRXTim, Dec 7, 2017
  4. No display on laptop's external monitor-Monitor recognized but blank

Hi delpi767.

If you press the Windows key + P how is it set. Is it set to extend?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 8, 2017
  5. delpi767 Win User
    Ken,
    Yes, it is set to Extend. When I change it back to "PC Screen Only" the external screen goes black. When it is set to extend, there is a faint bluish glow on the screen.
    Dave

delpi767, Dec 8, 2017
  6. pyramid10 Win User
    In my 1607 Home, I have four options: Duplicate, Extend, Show only on 1, Show only on 2. Is "PC Screen Only" the latest way of saying one of the above?

May I assume the visible mouse cursor does not show up on the other screen in the extended mode? (the virtual orientation of the second screen relative to the primary screen may be different from the physical orientation. And the Update may have altered the accustomed condition? Just eliminating possibilities.)

May I assume the second screen is blank in the duplicate mode?

May I assume, if there is the option to show the desktop on the second screen only, that both screens go blank?

pyramid10, Dec 8, 2017
  7. delpi767 Win User
    pyramid10

Each of your assumptions is correct.

When I set the display option to PC Screen only, the external monitor indicates that it is receiving no signal.
    When it is set to Extend or Duplicate, the monitor indicates that it is receiving a signal and the screen has a very slight blue tinge.

delpi767, Dec 8, 2017
  8. No display on laptop's external monitor-Monitor recognized but blank

Have you opened the Catalyst Control center?

Are the two monitors listed?

Caledon Ken, Dec 8, 2017
  9. delpi767 Win User
    Catalyst of for AMD video products. The laptop uses an Intel graphics chip. I've tried to update the drivers (installed are best) and tried the Intel graphic app, all to no avail.

delpi767, Dec 8, 2017
  10. Ohhhh. Sorry mixing your spec and her laptop.

Find older driver. Yes older. Say from three months ago. If this works then we have to tell Windows to lay off driver updates and you will have to make sure you backup the file up. You potentially will need to re-install after every Feature update.

By chance is this a 530 Graphics?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 8, 2017
  11. Helmut Win User
    Go to the Laptop manufacturers website and download the Intel HD Graphics driver. Install that then go to Windows updates.
    What you want is a working driver not the latest.

My Laptop has Intel HD4600 Graphics and I have never messed with the driver it has always come from MS updates for 4 years. The external monitor has worked all the time thru Windows 8.1 thru all the version updates of Windows 10. Zero effort, it just works.

I presume you know where the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel is, Right Click desktop > Graphics Properties...
    There are more options in there than the Windows 10 way.

Check the Laptop HDMI socket carefully for damage.

Helmut, Dec 9, 2017
  12. Caledon Ken, Dec 9, 2017
  13. delpi767 Win User

Thank you everyone. I have judiciously followed everyone's advice but to no avail. However, we are now up and running.

Remember that all was working until Windows imposed an update. After that, no external display. Because everything had been working and no hardware had been touched, I assumed that Windows was guilty (as it often is).

In the past, I've been bitten by the assumption that (not motorized) hardware does not simply fail, and I may have been bitten again.

Finally, is desperation, I replaced the HDMI cable with an RGB cable and voila, all is well. Whether the HDMI port on the computer has failed or something in software is messed up, I have no idea but at least she is up and running.

Hopefully my frustrations will help someone else. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Dave

delpi767, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. No display on laptop's external monitor-Monitor recognized but blank - Similar Threads - display laptop's external

2. blank laptop monitor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    blank laptop monitor: Why is my laptop monitor blank but external monitor is not blank https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blank-laptop-monitor/56875dcc-7090-4fa0-a6ee-2dc5be853cfb
  3. blank laptop monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    blank laptop monitor: Why is my laptop monitor blank but external monitor is not blank https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blank-laptop-monitor/56875dcc-7090-4fa0-a6ee-2dc5be853cfb
  4. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor: HiI have an external monitor I am trying to connect to laptop through HDMI. My laptop detects that there is a second monitor, but the monitor doesn't display anything. I've tried many different solutions: updating, roll backing, and even uninstalling my drivers. Those...
  5. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor: HiI have an external monitor I am trying to connect to laptop through HDMI. My laptop detects that there is a second monitor, but the monitor doesn't display anything. I've tried many different solutions: updating, roll backing, and even uninstalling my drivers. Those...
  6. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Laptop stopped displaying to external monitor

Laptop stopped displaying to external monitor: Today I went out after playing some games. When I came back and turned on my laptop that was connected to a monitor, no display came up. I have tried changing out monitors and hdmi cables, reinstalling video drivers, etc. My laptop still detects the monitor and says it is...
  8. Laptop suddenly not displaying to external monitor

Laptop suddenly not displaying to external monitor: I am so besides myself. I used my laptop with my 32inch TV as I usually do sometimes to watch movies and, I set the TV to automatically search for best display after choosing the highest resolution possible. The PC notified me that the resolution was too high or something. I...
  9. External monitor display

External monitor display: MS Office app menu bar and ribbon text is huge on my second monitor. How do I make it smaller? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-monitor-display/a7d43aa3-5e2c-4093-b089-97a901838bc7
  10. external monitor is not recognized

in Windows 10 Customization
    external monitor is not recognized: My Dell laptop running Windows 10 does not recognize external monitor Insignia https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-monitor-is-not-recognized/5c0283c6-7783-4201-8dd8-99cff3042745