Windows 10: NO !! Do NOT Defrag SSD's !!

Discus and support NO !! Do NOT Defrag SSD's !! in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Should You Defrag an SSD? 77319 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by wen, Feb 14, 2017.

1. WEN
    wen Win User

NO !! Do NOT Defrag SSD's !!

2. Wolfles Win User

Window 10 will not boot up no matter what I do.

Will this do? Also, the SSD is a full sized SSD, I'm just questioning whether I'm supposed to delete the recovery partition.
    NO !!  Do NOT Defrag SSD's !! [​IMG]

Wolfles, Feb 14, 2017
  3. Window 10 will not boot up no matter what I do.

Did you try booting the Samsung which I assume is the SSD? The Device which is showing as ready to boot in your picture is an Hitachi hard drive, which is not the SSD is it?

I also asked if you know for sure it was a UEFI install. Did you choose Windows 10 installation media as a UEFI device, did you notice if it created a UEFI System or System Reserved partition? If not a UEFI device then as I said you need to boot the SSD
    drive directly.

Did you check the chart in
    BIOS Boot Menu Key
    for your Asus model because it also has F2 and DEL besides F9 as keys to boot firmware?

Try powering up while pressing each of those keys, after trying to boot the SSD from the boot menu.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Feb 14, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

In the search box in the upper right corner of this page type in defrag SSD and search. About 20 threads come up, such as:

Should SSD's be defragmented

NavyLCDR, Feb 14, 2017
  5. Devilz Win User
    I always use Samsung magician software to optimize SSD. Never tried defrag through windows though

Devilz, Feb 14, 2017
  6. pparks1 Win User
    Ha, glad we cleared that up. Article from 2012.

NO !!  Do NOT Defrag SSD's !! [​IMG]

pparks1, Feb 14, 2017
  7. sml156 Win User
    This has been common knowledge even before this article was written (2012) and those drives that he recommends were made before 2010.

I'm not sure how you would go about defragging a SSD in Win 10, you can optimize it which just runs trim.

sml156, Feb 14, 2017
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Windows' Defrag.exe won't let you defragment SSDs but third party utilities will.

The best way IMHO is using caching software that prevents fragmentation on any type of drive.

To the question about whether or not you should defragment a SSD, I'd say normally not for our end user kind of use.
    Would it kill the drive if you do ? Nope, not at all.
    Would you notice a speed difference ? Most probably not.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Feb 14, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. NO !! Do NOT Defrag SSD's !! - Similar Threads - Defrag SSD's

2. How do I turn off Defrag on SSD Windows 11 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I turn off Defrag on SSD Windows 11 Home: SSD keeps trying to defrag. I have Windows 11 Home. When I go to Optimize Drives and highlight SSD, there is no option to make changes. How do I turn off Defrag? Driving me crazy!!!...
  3. How do I turn off Defrag on SSD Windows 11 Home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I turn off Defrag on SSD Windows 11 Home: SSD keeps trying to defrag. I have Windows 11 Home. When I go to Optimize Drives and highlight SSD, there is no option to make changes. How do I turn off Defrag? Driving me crazy!!!...
  4. Is it safe to defrag and optimize an SSD? If not what do I do if I already did it multiple...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to defrag and optimize an SSD? If not what do I do if I already did it multiple...: I have done multiple “Defragment and Optimize Drives,” to my SSD thinking that it would boost some performance in my games. However a lot of people say that it is bad to do this to my SSD. What should I do?...
  5. Is it safe to defrag and optimize an SSD? If not what do I do if I already did it multiple...

Is it safe to defrag and optimize an SSD? If not what do I do if I already did it multiple...: I have done multiple “Defragment and Optimize Drives,” to my SSD thinking that it would boost some performance in my games. However a lot of people say that it is bad to do this to my SSD. What should I do?...
  6. Does Windows 10 or 11 disk defragment recognize an SD card as SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Windows 10 or 11 disk defragment recognize an SD card as SSD?: I have an SD card in my Surface Pro 6 configured in device manager as a separate D:\ USB NTFS mass storage device. Does the Windows Optimize Drives schedule treat it as an SSD or as a spinning drive? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think the best-practice defragmentation...
  7. Does Windows 10 or 11 disk defragment recognize an SD card as SSD?

Does Windows 10 or 11 disk defragment recognize an SD card as SSD?: I have an SD card in my Surface Pro 6 configured in device manager as a separate D:\ USB NTFS mass storage device. Does the Windows Optimize Drives schedule treat it as an SSD or as a spinning drive? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think the best-practice defragmentation...
  8. Does Windows 10 or 11 disk defragment recognize an SD card as SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Should I disable Defragment & optimize drives in Windows 10 with a NVMe SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I disable Defragment & optimize drives in Windows 10 with a NVMe SSD?: As the title says, my question is, should I disable the Defragment and Optimize drives? I have a NVME SSD and by default this feature in turned on in Windows 10. So is it recommended? Or should I disable it?...
  10. Should I disable Defragment & optimize drives in Windows 10 with a NVMe SSD?

Should I disable Defragment & optimize drives in Windows 10 with a NVMe SSD?: As the title says, my question is, should I disable the Defragment and Optimize drives? I have a NVME SSD and by default this feature in turned on in Windows 10. So is it recommended? Or should I disable it?...