Windows 10: No drag and drop in Windows Explorer (and other oddities)

Discus and support No drag and drop in Windows Explorer (and other oddities) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; You didn't say you were getting a red circle status indicator on the DnD. My assumption was that the drop target was not being recognized. This is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by loungebob, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Mystere Win User

No drag and drop in Windows Explorer (and other oddities)

You didn't say you were getting a red circle status indicator on the DnD. My assumption was that the drop target was not being recognized. This is a totally different problem than what I had been trying to help you troubleshoot.

Mystere, Jun 10, 2015
  2. loungebob Win User

No, not that I know of. It's the Win10 build 10130 full install. No Explorer add-ons. I did install Adobe CC & Acrobat and ACDSee. I will check if that's got anything to do with it. Would be surprised though, never has before. Which Icons are different?

loungebob, Jun 10, 2015
  3. loungebob Win User
    Yes, I did.
    "I cannot drag and drop within Windows Explorer (sort of)
    - I can drag and drop within the same Folder/subfolder structure, e.g. on the right side of Windows Explorer I can dnd a file to a subfolder but I cannot dnd a file over to the left side (This PC) to any of the folders, nas drives, san drives or local drives (shows red crossed through circle)"

Last part in brackets. Might not have found the right words to describe it though....

loungebob, Jun 10, 2015
  4. loungebob Win User

So, at the end of the rope and my patience.

Installed and tested 2 alternative Windows Explorer apps and they both let me drag and drop wherever I want.

So, this must be something within Windows Explorer blocking me, right? Or is that too simplistic?

loungebob, Jun 11, 2015
  5. loungebob Win User
    Upgrading to 10147 solved the dnd issue. But even though I chose to upgrade and retain my old settings, some stuff windows just reset. One of those is the Libraries, Pictures, Downloads etc. folders in Explorer (which I removed through the registry). I have a slight suspicion that was the culprit. I'll fiddle with it a little later and see if it kills dnd again.

loungebob, Jun 24, 2015
  6. Justdave Win User
    loungebob,

I know it's been a few weeks since you posted this problem with DnD. I'm having the same problem and I also tweaked the registry to remove certain items from File Explorer. Do you know at this time whether the registry tweaks was causing the problem?

Justdave, Jul 18, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    If Drag and Drop worked before you tweaked the registry and it didn't after than it's the tweaks that did it.

BunnyJ, Jul 19, 2015
  8. Justdave Win User

Yeah, probably. I'm just not sure if that was when the DnD problem started. I think it was, not sure

Justdave, Jul 19, 2015
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    Try to undo the hacks and see what happens. If it fixies the issue than the problem was/is in the hacks to the registry.

BunnyJ, Jul 19, 2015
  10. loungebob Win User
    It most definitely was one of the reg hacks. Even when I just reinstalled the same build, it restored DnD ability. Was too lazy to go and figure out which one broke it though.

loungebob, Jul 20, 2015
  11. loungebob Win User
    And I hate, hate, hate that MS decides to restore certain reg settings when I install security patches! GRRRRR!

loungebob, Jul 20, 2015
  12. Friendly greetings!
    I had the exact same problem and found this thread via Google a couple days back. Since then, I've tried lots of things and nothing worked. Now I've finally found the culprit. It was a registry hack from a website called Windows Central that removes Quick Access from the File Explorer. In the following registry path...

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}

...the DWORD value "Attributes" was changed from a0100000 to a0600000. This takes care of the Quick Access folder, but also removes drag and drop functionality from the navigation pane. After changing Attributes back to a0100000, everything is back to normal. I'll just leave this here in case someone else runs into the same issue.

Tastentier, Aug 7, 2015
  13. Wanda Win User

How about plain drag and drop, like on a web course I'm doing. I have to drag and drop the matching answer and I can't move the icons.

Wanda, Aug 19, 2015
  14. RHV
    RHV Win User
    My attributes are a0100000 and it still would not let me DnD. I found a youtube video where someone said VMWare was not yet fully compatible with 10, but add the tools. I added VMWare tools and DnD works like a charm. Just registered to post my results.

15. AdrianMrn Win User
    Thank you so much

AdrianMrn, Dec 2, 2015
Thema:

1. No drag and drop in Windows Explorer (and other oddities) - Similar Threads - drag drop Explorer

2. Windows 11 Explorer Drag&Drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Explorer Drag&Drop: After new updates Explorer Drag&Drop function is removed for being unpopular. I think this is a great mistake. Sorry to let you know that I'm gonna quit using Windows after this update. Thanks...
  3. Windows 11 Explorer Drag&Drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Explorer Drag&Drop: After new updates Explorer Drag&Drop function is removed for being unpopular. I think this is a great mistake. Sorry to let you know that I'm gonna quit using Windows after this update. Thanks...
  4. drag and drop and other unespected issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    drag and drop and other unespected issues: a couple a days ago suddenly i couldn t drag and drop files from one to another folder neither using mouse or touchpad . also have problems holding left shift to upper case letters , does not happen to the right shift . i m sure that is not a mouse or keyboard problem cause i...
  5. drag and drop and other unespected issues

drag and drop and other unespected issues: a couple a days ago suddenly i couldn t drag and drop files from one to another folder neither using mouse or touchpad . also have problems holding left shift to upper case letters , does not happen to the right shift . i m sure that is not a mouse or keyboard problem cause i...
  6. Drag and drop

Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  7. file explorer drag and drop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer drag and drop: After my last update there is no right pane in the file explorer to drag and drop files. Please advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-drag-and-drop/f2190733-2938-485c-880e-58d172f73f16
  8. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drag and Drop: I use drag and drop to transfer data onto my network computers, but since the latest update 1903 (18362.449) drag and drop won't work. I re-imaged back a couple of months and drag and drop works ok so the fault is with the latest update. Please advise. Deric...
  9. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and Drop: When did the ability to drag and drop from the taskbar to the desktop end? 122324
  10. Unable to Drag-And-Drop in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Drag-And-Drop in Explorer: I find I'm unable to drag an drop in Explorer. For instance, when I want to extract a file from a zip file I drag to the folder and drop it but it doesn't get placed in the folder. This occurs with any drag and drop procedure. I am however able to copy and paste....