Windows 10: No dual boot menu at all?!

Discus and support No dual boot menu at all?! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, ] I recently (clean) installed Windows 10 on a new SSD. Windows 7 resides on my first drive. 1) I first set the USB to boot from; 2)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by meimeiriver, Feb 13, 2016.

1. No dual boot menu at all?!

Hello,
    ]
    I recently (clean) installed Windows 10 on a new SSD. Windows 7 resides on my first drive.

1) I first set the USB to boot from;

2) Began to install Windows 10;

3) First snare: upon first reboot, after removing the USB, the system just started my old Windows 7 (!). (I expected a dual boot menu there.)

4) Rebooted, set SSD to first disk, and finished installing Windows 10;

5); Tried to add boot menu later (both in Windows 7 and Windows 10), using the Advanced System Settings, to no avail: neither OS sees another boot partition.

Question, how can I dual boot, after all?!

Thanks.

:)

meimeiriver, Feb 13, 2016

2. Teclast tbook restore dual boot menu

"Teclast tbook 16 power" after windows updates, the dual boot menu gone. How to restore the dual boot menu and boot into android. Thanks.

danielLAM98, Feb 13, 2016
  3. No dual-boot at all?!

You said that you inserted the WIndows 7 key during install? Is that the only time you inserted it, and as a result did you confirm that Windows 10 had been activated
    before inserting the Windows 8 key?

This is important because merely inserting the qualifying key during
    Clean Install Windows 10 Upgrade
    will usually not work for activating free Upgrade in Version 1511. As it says in

Activation in Windows 10
    one must wait until after install to submit and activate with the old OS Product Key. So there's a possibility the Windows 7 key was never effectively used for Activation.

Either way I'd wait to see if Windows 7 loses Activation. We've seen some cases where Keys no longer used to qualify for Upgrade are blocked and need phone activation of the old OS to retrieve them.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Feb 13, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

No dual boot menu at all?!

5. topgundcp Win User
    Boot into Windows 10, Open disk management, take a note on the drive letter of the other Windows 7 then Open Admin Command and type:
    bcdboot x:\Windows
    Where x is the drive letter of Windows 7.

topgundcp, Feb 13, 2016
  6. Thx. *Smile I remember that program from a decade or so ago, LOL. I'll check it out.

I just hope, when I boot from Windows 10 (second disk), Windows will really see it as the first disk (else my system could be hosed)

7. Will try that too, Thx! You guys are great! *Smile

8. No dual boot menu at all?!

Thanks, that worked!! *Smile

I don't get the pretty Windows 10 boot menu that way, but I can live with that. *Smile

9. topgundcp Win User
    In Windows 10, From Admin Command:
    bcdboot %windir%
    You should get a GUI Boot Windows

topgundcp, Feb 13, 2016
  10. And thx again! *Smile

meimeiriver, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

No dual boot menu at all?!

1. No dual boot menu at all?! - Similar Threads - dual boot menu

2. Dual boot not working [Menu and advanced options]

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual boot not working [Menu and advanced options]: Good morning / evening everyone i have windows and kali linux installed on my machine , when i first installed kali , there was a problem and it's that kali didn't appear in the dual boot menu , only windows 10 did , i solved this issue by booting into windows then going to...
  3. Removing old DOS dual-boot menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Removing old DOS dual-boot menu: Back in the day, this PC dual booted to either W7 or 10, each on a separate drive. At start up, the classic DOS boot choice menu would offer either. If not chosen manually the default O/S would boot. Today, W7 is history, and that entry in the msconfig/boot menu has been...
  4. Dual boot menu: problem with Windows update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dual boot menu: problem with Windows update: I use two operating system on my laptop: Windows 10 and Ubuntu. So when I turn on the device it offers the dual boot menu to choose the OS. However after every update the boot menu ceases being visible and the system bypasses the boot menu directly to load Windows 10. This...
  5. dual boot menu and gnu grub

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    dual boot menu and gnu grub: in windows 10 i got only one os (that is win 10 ) and i still see dual boot menu and when i open my pc it starts from gnu grub please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-menu-and-gnu-grub/e73f0933-cd9e-4cd5-9936-e6d3c3851390"
  6. Dual boot no option menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot no option menu: I'm currently running ver 14393 (32) and tried installing 14986 (insider) on a partition. The install went ok but the installed version had some problems: repeated BSODs and really slow response. The hard part was getting back to my working version. I thought there was a boot...
  7. Dual Boot No Boot Menu

Dual Boot No Boot Menu: Ladies and Gentlemen I am in a new arena and need some help. I have been in the INI and BCD Arena but not the EFI MBR. I decided to go with a new motherboard and AMD RYZEN CPU. I set up the new system and moved my hard drives with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and Windows 8.1 Pro...
  8. graphical style dual boot menu

graphical style dual boot menu: Hi , I have a dual boot system ( windows 10 (1st default), windows 8.1 (2nd)) . The dual boot menu in windows 10 is graphical style but in windows 8.1 is classic , black-white line style . How can fix it , in order to have graphical mode both ? i don't like classic line...
  9. Strange Dual-Boot Menu Problem

Strange Dual-Boot Menu Problem: I have a dual-boot problem. My desktop PC has two harddrives, Drive 0 and Drive 1. Drive 0 (my primary boot drive) has a single partition containing Windows 10 on Drive C:. Drive 1 has two partitions: a 100MB System Reserved partition containing the MBR, etc., and a large...
  10. No boot menu on dual boot WIn8.1↔10

No boot menu on dual boot WIn8.1↔10: HIYAS I have installed Win10 on secondary partition while keeping Windows 8.1 as primary. Everything went fine, after few reboots Win 10 was ready to use. After setting up things I rebooted, In boot manager I have two entries - Windows 10 as default - Windows 8.1 I choose...