Windows 10: No DVD Playback After Upgrading to Windows 10

Discus and support No DVD Playback After Upgrading to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 Home 64 Bit. After upgrading from Win7, I cannot play back or burn DVDs. I can however play audio CDs. I have tried the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by vivek137, May 4, 2016.

1. vivek137 Win User

No DVD Playback After Upgrading to Windows 10

I am running Windows 10 Home 64 Bit. After upgrading from Win7, I cannot play back or burn DVDs. I can however play audio CDs. I have tried the registry tricks suggested in other posts, but without success.

:)

vivek137, May 4, 2016
  2. dwflo Win User

DVD play capabilities in Windows 10

All of the Windows DVD playback always refers to the Windows 10 upgrade.

What if you buy the full version of Windows 10? Is DVD playback in the full install, or will I need to install it?

dwflo, May 4, 2016
  3. Widows 10 - Media Center?

Hi Samm,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Windows Media Center is not a part of Windows 10 and isn't available after upgrading to Windows 10. If you use Windows Media Center, you are alerted during upgrade that Windows Media Center is not available on Windows 10. We know that some users use Windows
    Media Center to play DVDs, and so a free DVD playback app is being provided in Windows 10 for Windows Media Center users.

Please refer to the following link for further information:

DVD playback options for Windows

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, May 4, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, there's no native DVD player in Win 10. You need to download 3rd party software- desktop or universal app. Easy to get for free (just search - or you probably know one already).

How to play DVDs in Windows 10 for free | PCWorld

Note: it's easy to get yourself into more difficulty than you want by changing settings or hacking. And things go wrong for some with Win 10 in ways not seen in previous editions (just search here for 'start menu not working'. Those who don't use disk imaging to protect themselves (Macrium Reflect (free) is highly recommended) sometimes come to regret it..

dalchina, May 4, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    It has already been suggested to you.
    I just want to add that I use VLC and it plays both DVDs and CDs. ( You can set Windows Media Player to play audio CDs if you want ).
    VLC can play almost all type of formats. So you don't have to worry about installing codecs at all. It is well known and widely recommended.
    Download official VLC media player for Windows - VideoLAN

davidhk, May 4, 2016
  6. fireberd Win User
    Also, for burning CD/DVD's the free Imgburn will do what you need.

fireberd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. No DVD Playback After Upgrading to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - DVD Playback Upgrading

2. DVD Playback issues after reformatting.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD Playback issues after reformatting.: In the last couple of months, I had to reformat my machine and reinstall Windows 10. After doing so, the built-in BD player in my laptop started having issues. It would generally read blurays without issue, but suddenly became finicky with DVDs, often failing to read them...
  3. DVD Playback issues after reformatting.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD Playback issues after reformatting.: In the last couple of months, I had to reformat my machine and reinstall Windows 10. After doing so, the built-in BD player in my laptop started having issues. It would generally read blurays without issue, but suddenly became finicky with DVDs, often failing to read them...
  4. DVD Playback issues after reformatting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. DVD Playback

DVD Playback: I recently purchased an HP Elite Tower PC. It has a DVD r/w drive. Why can't I play my DVDs on it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-playback/02a81bd6-725f-4e89-82b8-e5bb1a30e1a1
  6. DVD playback problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DVD playback problem: I just bought a brand new HP laptop with Windows 10 which came with a DVD player. I bought the Microsoft DVD program and downloaded it to my machine. While the DVDs play normally, if I pause playback to go do something and the machine enters sleep mode, when I come back and...
  7. DVD Playback

DVD Playback: Windows 10. Why is it that commercial DVDs will not playback on Media Player or any other program? I installed Ultra DVD player and the discs still won't paly. I installed Fast Player for DVD which is suppose to be free but it keeps asking me to pay for an upgrade before it...
  8. cd/dvd playback

cd/dvd playback: my laptop refuses to play any cd or dvd - wtf? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-playback/5abc09c7-3544-4ebf-bf5c-5a556b5e319d
  9. dvd does not playback

dvd does not playback: Hi my dvd player will not playback it sent me an error code https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-does-not-playback/71b00ee7-4c3a-44f8-ab72-53ec80697502
  10. Video playback skipping after Windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Video playback skipping after Windows 10 upgrade: I did a fresh format of Windows 10 on my laptop and ever since any video playback skips/stutters about every few minutes in VLC or Media Player. I have updated my graphics card, sound card, and am up to date on windows 10. I've seen other threads in other forums on this and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. video playback settings in windows 10

2. dvd video playback settings in windows 10