Windows 10: No ESD files showing in C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources Anything I can do?

Discus and support No ESD files showing in C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources Anything I can do? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Trying to create an ISO from an ESD using the ESD to ISO tool so I can fix my DISM/Restorehealth issue with the build. Only issue I am having is there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pittguy578, Feb 5, 2016.

1. No ESD files showing in C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources Anything I can do?

Trying to create an ISO from an ESD using the ESD to ISO tool so I can fix my DISM/Restorehealth issue with the build. Only issue I am having is there are no images in that folder and I can't go back to previous build either*Sad

:)

pittguy578, Feb 5, 2016
  2. JohnC Win User

You didn't say which build you are on. If you are not running an insider preview it would be easier to use the techbench iso for the source of an install.wim to use for DISM. You can find it in the tutorial forum here. Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums .

JohnC, Feb 5, 2016
  3. 14257 is the build. This is ending up being a disaster. I tried the tech bench and it isn't allowing me to keep all of the files and APPS like I had done previously when I had been able to do an "upgrade" using the same build I already have installed.

pittguy578, Feb 5, 2016
  4. JohnC Win User

No ESD files showing in C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources Anything I can do?

Files are listed alphabetically in the \Sources folder. Just keep scrolling down, install.esd should still be there. The techbench iso is for the consumer builds it is not what you want.

JohnC, Feb 5, 2016
  5. Word Man Win User
    I have read that install.esd is disappearing from Insider builds once the upgrade install is done. Therefore, I always copy the install.esd from the C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources folder to the folder where I have the ESDtoISO.cmd file BEFORE I restart for the upgrade.

Then I burn the iso to DVD, delete the iso and the extra install.esd, and run extended disk cleanup.

I haven't checked if the install.esd is actually disappearing myself, I simply take that precaution.

Word Man, Feb 5, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    The OP is referring to Insider Preview 14257 .
    I can confirm that the Install.esd is still in my Sources file.

No ESD files showing in C:$Windows.~BT\Sources Anything I can do? [​IMG]

davidhk, Feb 5, 2016
  7. Word Man Win User
    I was well aware which build the OP is referring to. Thanks for the confirmation.

Word Man, Feb 5, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

How do you do that ?
    On Insider Preview, new build is downloaded and installed by Windows Update.
    How to stop the Install process and copy the Install.esd first ?

davidhk, Feb 5, 2016
  9. Word Man Win User
    When it is prompting for a restart is when I do it. There is some discussion of when is the best time to do it in the thread following Kari's tutorial on his ESDtoISO tool but I haven't grasped every nuance since it's such a lengthy thread. However, the tool completes what appears to be a fully functional iso with an install.wim in the sources folder.

Word Man, Feb 5, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    .......... when it prompts for restart..................

OK. Thanks.

davidhk, Feb 5, 2016
  11. Word Man Win User
    Not a problem. It's interesting to note that your install.esd (assuming it's build 14257 by the date/time stamp) is 2,053,078 kbytes. Mine is larger, at 2,636,311 KB -

No ESD files showing in C:$Windows.~BT\Sources Anything I can do? [​IMG]

(this screenshot from browsing the Macrium Reflect image I captured this morning before letting the upgrade restart)
    I wonder if it's because the difference in timing of when I captured mine versus yours perhaps being AFTER install and restart?

Word Man, Feb 5, 2016
  12. Kyhi Win User
    You have to snag the Install.esd - before allowing the Reboot...
    Just copy the install.esd to another location..

because after the Reboot (upgrade) it is removed..

13. Word Man Win User

That was covered in posts #5 and 9. Do you expect to see the difference in size between my install.esd and davidhk's install.esd? Packed versus un-packed ?

Word Man, Feb 5, 2016
  14. The update wasn't showing in my laptop but it is now. Going to snag the 14257 esd on there before I restart it No ESD files showing in C:$Windows.~BT\Sources Anything I can do? :)

pittguy578, Feb 5, 2016
  15. davidhk Win User
    On Post #3, you said " 14257 is the build." So you have the latest Insider Preview installed.

If that is the fact, then where and how did you get another update for 14257 ?

davidhk, Feb 5, 2016
Thema:

1. No ESD files showing in C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources Anything I can do? - Similar Threads - ESD files showing

2. How do I delete an ESD file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I delete an ESD file?: I have 2 ESD files: one for Windows 10 and one for Windows 11. I want to delete the one for Windows 10 as I don’t need it anymore… How do I delete one but not the other?...
  3. How do I delete an ESD file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I delete an ESD file?: I have 2 ESD files: one for Windows 10 and one for Windows 11. I want to delete the one for Windows 10 as I don’t need it anymore… How do I delete one but not the other?...
  4. How do I delete an ESD file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. ESD Folder in C: Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ESD Folder in C: Drive: Hey there, I've recently reinstalled windows 10 using windows media creation tool and after that I've found a folder named 'ESD' in my C: Drive. So what is it and can I delete it?...
  6. Can I delete ESD folder in c drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I delete ESD folder in c drive.: Hi, I observed a file name ESD in c drive and can i delete it because my c drive is filled. Is this file from media creation tool where I wanted to repair windows 10....
  7. ESD File

ESD File: Hey there! I have downloaded an esd file of windows 10 2004 update. I have to clean install my laptop. Should I convert esd file into iso and then install it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/esd-file/e6d50484-88cb-4821-be51-dba1adb957e9
  8. ESD folder on disk C

in Windows 10 Support
    ESD folder on disk C: Could this folder be used to run a dism restorehealth and if so what would the cmd look like to direct the repair. I just seem not to be able to direct the dism direction, thanks. Oh and it has and install esd in the sources folder. 129392
  9. C:\$windows.~bt\sources HAS NO ESD FILE

C:\$windows.~bt\sources HAS NO ESD FILE: Since 14901, now on 14926, no such file. Drive space low enough system sometimes complains; perhaps in such case upgrade proceeds without local esd file (HOW that could be is a mystery but it's all i can think of) Microsoft Answers doesn't know. Any idea where ESD...
  10. ESD file

ESD file: In the $windows.~WS folder and then Sources there is a file Installx64.esd can that be used to create a ISO file that can be burned to do an Install? also would rufus be able to create a bootable usb? thanks. Shipinomore 30057