Windows 10: No excuse any more for failing to take decent Backups

Discus and support No excuse any more for failing to take decent Backups in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi there. I think we've all said this "Ad Nauseam" but these days with decent computers and reasonable HDD's (better if SSD's) there absolutely is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jimbo45, Mar 9, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

No excuse any more for failing to take decent Backups

Hi there.

I think we've all said this "Ad Nauseam" but these days with decent computers and reasonable HDD's (better if SSD's) there absolutely is NO reason not to take a backup before even doing relatively maintenance.

I've just taken a backup of a test W10 system running on a modest i3 CPU - the OS partition was approx. 40 GB used, backup file 22GB using medium compression setting (default) and the total time was just over 6 mins -- hardly a lot of time that can save you HOURS if anything goes wrong. Backup was to an external USB portable Toshiba HDD.

Using latest version of Macrium here's the screenshot.

No excuse any more for failing to take decent Backups [​IMG]

(If you don't like Macrium there are other good programs too) -- the point here is to USE THEM - they don't take a long time and you will save oodles of time and grief later - even if you don't alter your system much -- Components fail, HDD's break or you might want to swao them for bigger ones or SSD's etc.

ALWAYS TAKE REGULAR BACKUPS !!!!!! They don't take long these days.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 9, 2016
  2. illinjah Win User

Txt from Nokia to say an update is available, but there isn't!

You are a funny fella. No excuse any more for failing to take decent Backups :) Like someone gives a damn about if find that a decent explanation or if you excuse it! No excuse any more for failing to take decent Backups :D

illinjah, Mar 9, 2016
  3. basmic Win User
    Txt from Nokia to say an update is available, but there isn't!

In any case, I do not call that a decent explanation. Nor does it excuse Nokia for misleading me.

basmic, Mar 9, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

But Jimbo it is too hard.

With NAS's coming down in price and same with the larger USB sticks and cards are available really cheap, no reason that anyone should "forget".

Had one guy on the FB Microsoft page, that assumed that since it is Windows, he should not have to make backups. He felt that it is Microsoft's responsibility.

I do a once a month image backup on the three machines. No need for a weekly, since all documents and media are on a Amazon Cloud storage.

bro67, Mar 9, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    That's a bit of a feeble excuse -- I'm not sure what planet the Ms guy is on --- Hardware does get broken / lost / stolen/ updated etc. so a small backup every so often should be a matter of course.

As far as the wretched cloud is concerned -- I'm not sure on the usefulness of it or otherwise when you are dealing with several TB of data -- even a fast wifi connection will take time and upload speeds are usually considerably slower than downloads.

Data backups are another issue - I'm referring specifically to the OS -- if your computer breaks / unuseable then you probably won't have decent access to the cloud -- you won't want to do complex spreadsheets for example on a tiny tablet or mobile phone even if you can retrieve your data.

For NAS - yes prices are cheaper than desktop computers these days -- I'm using a GEN 8 HP PROLIANT 4 Bay microserver with 256GB SSD, and 4 X 4 TB HDD's running CENTOS 7 on it.

I used the DVD connector for the SSD and used the built in RAID controller so I could boot from the SSD (otherwise you can only boot from HDD bay1/2 or USB / Micro SD card in AHCI mode) . In RAID 0 I created the SSD as a single RAID 0 device which could be booted and 2 X 8 TB Raid 0 logical devices -- good enough for what I need. Every so often I run an "incremental / differential" backup on data and copy also to a backup external USB. It's good enough for data. My machines are backed up to the NAS and the images also copied to external USB. Works fine so far.

This NAS box is used as my PLEX and Music server too - the Raid 0 works fine that way I get full access to all 5 Disks and can boot from the SSD. I don't need full RAID 10 etc. This is a HOME server !!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 9, 2016
  6. jimbo:

To begin, I heartily agree with your backup approach, as I use Macrium Reflect on ALL my PCs -- even the ones in the "extended family" (which none of them EVER make an effort to back up).

MR has been offering their amazing SW for Free for years now, so it's not the cost of the SW, and now that 1TB spinners can be had for $50 USD, it's not the cost of additional drives.

That said, I don't think "excuses" is the issue; instead, I think that a great majority of folks simply either (1) aren't aware that backups are needed, or (2) think the process is too hard for them to even try.

When I TRY to explain the need for backups to other folks, I get the all-too-common response "Whatever!"

Mark Phelps, Mar 10, 2016
  7. dafanman Win User
    Shout that from the roof tops, It simply cannot be stated enough!!!!

dafanman, Mar 10, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Jimbo you know that I was joking at the first sentence. I totally agree that there is no excuse these days to do a backup or image of your hard drive. Sometimes I feel like reaching through the Internet and smacking those that keep blaming Microsoft for them losing their files, when they are not paying attention during upgrades.

bro67, Mar 10, 2016
  9. b1rd Win User
    I wanted to add quick trick to make things even easier (which I've posted before, I know).

I added shortcuts for Macrium & AOMEI to the context menu, so I can knock out a quick back up while I stretch. Once you configure the output destination for the image, it's pretty much 3-4 clicks and that's it. Plus, it appears that with Macrium you configure it to delete older back ups, as you replace them with newer images, if you want.

(I used Ultimate Windows Context Menu Customizer to create the context menu shortcuts.)

No excuse any more for failing to take decent Backups [​IMG]

10. WHS
    whs Win User
    That's nice but not really necessary. I hate to overload these context menus. A simple shortcut does the same.

11. dalchina New Member
    Problem with image backups now is it takes too long to actually find the backup drive (assuming use of an external USB drive), connect it, and start the backup...*chuckle

And I've even made sure my backup USB drive is always allocated the same drive letter so it matches the backup plan.

(That's using SSD + USB3, differential or incremental)

dalchina, Mar 12, 2016
  12. Wullail Win User
    I agree , using the latest version of macrium , a 'windows boot' backup (3 partititions for me) took 15 minutes to backup to a NAS drive.

Really not that hard.

Wullail, Mar 12, 2016
  13. eLPuSHeR Win User

Agreed. I also use MR and create a full system partition backup every ten days or so. It takes less than 10 minutes and can save you a lot of trouble if something goes wrong (no need for lenghty clean installations).

eLPuSHeR, Mar 12, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    Not that hard to find them. All of mine are kept in a directory for each of us, it is dated for when it is done and whether it is a Windows or Linux backup as the leading part of the name. It takes less time to pull a image backup off of a NAS, if you are doing them like I do, which is only keeping the current and last one after 30 days.

bro67, Mar 13, 2016
  15. WHS
    whs Win User
    That is a matter of organization and setup. I have my target disk for images in an external enclosure. It suffices to turn the switch. In rare cases I have to change the disk in the enclosure (5 second job) because I used the enclosure for something else.

Thema:

1. No excuse any more for failing to take decent Backups - Similar Threads - excuse more failing

2. Backup Fails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup Fails: I have three PCs on my home network. Two of them are running Win 10 pro, and one is running Win 10 home. One of the Win 10 Pro PCs has an external hard drive connected to it USB that I use for backups using the Win 7 Backup and Restore facility. The PC running Win 10 Home...
  3. Excuse me.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Excuse me.: I'm pretty sure HTML5 is illegal. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excuse-me/d6b3cbe4-145e-4370-87a4-7dab4f27c47e
  4. excuse me what?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    excuse me what?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/akakun73 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ex65pa/excuse_me_what/
  5. Looking for a Decent internet Download manager ? any Recommendations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for a Decent internet Download manager ? any Recommendations: Hi Looking for a Decent internet Download manager ? any Recommendations Any thing good fast and has worked for you as i am not tech savvy Thank you oh i forgot either it is free or i get lucky for a registry code dont have money for this *Biggrin 147205
  6. Backup fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Backup fails: Dear reader, Thank you to take some of your precious time to read my post and help me solve the following problem with the system backup Following latest windows update version: 10.0.17134 build 17134 ASUS T200TA ; Windows10 version: 10.0.17134 build 17134 There is no...
  7. NO Excuse for NOT taking backups (Laptop done in 8 mins)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    NO Excuse for NOT taking backups (Laptop done in 8 mins): Hi folks Just another post telling people they should ALWAYS take backups Just did an average laptop backup with a fair amount of programs (Office suite, photoshop etc) with Macrium to external HDD. Entire thing only took 8 mins. [img] At these sorts of speeds...
  8. Theres NO excuse for NOT taking Backups 8 Mins for Windows !!

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Theres NO excuse for NOT taking Backups 8 Mins for Windows !!: Hi there There's no excuse these days for NOT taking backups Windows 10 X-64 on laptop -- 232 GB SSD backed up to external 232 GB SSD connected via USB3-->sata connector. 8 Mins to do --and that includes running an active Virtual Machine while the backup was running....
  9. Backups - these days around 5 Mins so no excuse

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Backups - these days around 5 Mins so no excuse: Hi there I think it's worth labouring this point -- backing up your OS these days can really be done in a few minutes so there is 100% NO EXCUSE for not doing it. If your OS is say on an SSD a backup will take for an average system only around 5 - 10 mins (do it for...
  10. Device Backups doesn't work any more

in Windows 10 Support
    Device Backups doesn't work any more: Hello! I noticed that the option of 'Backed up device settings' doesn't work anymore, since I had windows 8.1. and even after upgrading to Windows 10, it's all the same. any help would be appreciated 67207