Windows 10: NO Excuse for NOT taking backups (Laptop done in 8 mins)

Discus and support NO Excuse for NOT taking backups (Laptop done in 8 mins) in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi folks Just another post telling people they should ALWAYS take backups Just did an average laptop backup with a fair amount of programs (Office... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jimbo45, Nov 19, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

NO Excuse for NOT taking backups (Laptop done in 8 mins)

Hi folks

Just another post telling people they should ALWAYS take backups
    Just did an average laptop backup with a fair amount of programs (Office suite, photoshop etc) with Macrium to external HDD.

Entire thing only took 8 mins.

NO Excuse for NOT taking backups (Laptop done in 8 mins) [​IMG]

At these sorts of speeds it should be a matter of course to take one regularly.

Incidentally - also far better to restore also a clean OS from a good backup if you get an infected machine rather than take maybe several hours using typical A/V cleansing stuff !!!! Of course ensure the backup is CLEAN though.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 19, 2017
  2. huggy54 Win User

I cant see all my devices to restore from when setting up my new Lumia 950 XL

I have done this, but I dont think
    Backup is complete, as im missing some sms messages.

So I tried to do another backup of my Lumia 930 (windows 8.1) manually, but it always fails at 96% (tried loads of things but still failing).

So then I tried to backup my Lumia 920 (windows 8) which does backup with no issues, but I cant see the backup one OneDrive at all, its just not there, but I I look on the Lumia 920 it says last backup 10 mins ago.

Anyone able to tell me the following;

1) Why I cant see my Lumia 920 ( Windows 8) backups on OneDrive even though the backups are successful.

2) How to get past 96% of backup on lumia 930 (windows 8.1)?

huggy54, Nov 19, 2017
  3. windows 10 laptop issue battery plugged in not charging

Strongly agree! Long-term major issue across many brands unresolved. No excuse.

rocket1057, Nov 19, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

8 mins for 60 GB means you have a pretty fast pc,and presumably ssds.

I take about 15 mins for a mid range laptop with only 30GB backing up to an hdd.

2GB per minute is more realistic for average pcs.

Real problem is many keep all data on C drive and have hundreds of GB.

cereberus, Nov 19, 2017
  5. Mooly Win User
    Just timed mine (using AOMEI) at 2 mins and 25 seconds for a full backup. It reports a transfer rate of around 210Mbit/s which works out correct. 145 seconds total run time at 210Mb/s would be 30Gb. My used space is actually around 27Gb which allows for the couple of seconds to initiate and finalise the run.

I have around 18 programs installed and over 15000 indexed files.

As Jimbo says:

NO Excuse for NOT taking backups

*Smile

Edit... this is a Dell laptop with just 4Gb RAM

Mooly, Nov 19, 2017
  6. Barman58 Win User
    I have terabytes but I also sleep so backup overnight,

Aomei gives me a 1.6Tb, (compressed), in a file backup for data and 72GB, (compressed), for the system, ( This includes a lightroom catalogue of 30,000 images on SSD for speed of access (around 34GB) actual image files are part of data backup around 700GB )

System backup takes about 20 Mins to an External drive via USB3, Data backup takes around 4-5 hours to same drive

Barman58, Nov 19, 2017
  7. RolandJS Win User
    While my backups take far longer, I'm still happy when it comes time to restore *Smile

RolandJS, Nov 19, 2017
  8. NO Excuse for NOT taking backups (Laptop done in 8 mins)

Does the backup time include verification?

radiowaves, Nov 19, 2017
  9. Helmut Win User
    I use the same here and it takes around 2 hours, not 8 mins. I/O is 450 Mb/s a limitation of the Storage medium/hardware used the next limit upwards in the system is the 1 Gb/s Network Card and components.
    Those 3 Gb/s are fantasy speeds to most users.

Helmut, Nov 20, 2017
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

should be fine if laptop OS is on an SSD and backup is to USB3--->sata connector connected to another SSD (external).

Same backup took around 40 mins when running to external USB3 HDD.

Took around 1 hr 10 when running to an old laptop HDD (1 TB 2.5 inch) connected by SATA==>USB2 connector.

Shows that poor or sluggish I/O is much more problematical of poor computer performance than willy nilly upgrading processor or RAM -- even today people often spend a fortune on hardware but scrimp on DISKS using hideously slow ones.

BTW Macrium R7 -couldn't get it to work --kept getting unspecified error. R6 working just fine so will stay with that until R7 has been out longer.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 20, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    In the end, speed is not determinig factor but reliability. For those on slower pcs/drives use of differential backups is a good way to speed things up. On really fast systems, just full backups is adequate.

cereberus, Nov 21, 2017
  12. I use Macrium. Image full backup once a month-200gb. I run incrementals daily. Both run unattended from Task Scheduler. Recently updated to 512gb I7 SSD laptop. Now full backup takes 40 min vs 2 hours with old laptop. Incrementals take from 15 to 90 seconds vs 15 to 30 minutes. Have 5tb external as backup media.

lagunasrfr, Nov 22, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

Personally, I keep data on a separate drive, so it keeps OS image lean and mean, and backup valuable data to onedrive. I do not bother backing up my videos partition regularly (80% of my data) as that is non critical to me. I do back it up every three months or so to an external drive. I can always redownload stuff pretty quickly anyway.

By keeping data from OS, it speeds image backup by order of magnitude, plus if the restore did fail, I can do a clean install without losing data.

cereberus, Nov 22, 2017
  14. Barman58 Win User
    I keep my data on separate data partitions over a number of drives, the only data on the System SSD drive is my adobe lightroom catalogue as it speeds things up when processing, the actual images are on a 1TB Images partition on another drive. All my standard user folders are redirected to a general Data drive both System and data are backed up weekly.

I also have a few drives attached to my main router and these contain Mirrors of the data partitions so that provides some redundancy, I have to look at an unlimited cheap UK based online backup option to complete the set-up

Barman58, Nov 22, 2017
  15. RolandJS Win User
    "...By keeping data from OS, it speeds image backup by order of magnitude, plus if the restore did fail, I can do a clean install without losing data..." -- cereberus. Words of gold on a silver platter! That is exactly what and why I do as cereberus does.

RolandJS, Nov 25, 2017
Thema:

1. NO Excuse for NOT taking backups (Laptop done in 8 mins) - Similar Threads - Excuse taking backups

2. Windows take 10 min to boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows take 10 min to boot: Hi I have a problem, my Windows is taking... 20 minute to boot , I reinstalled Windows No problem occurred, but after two days and after downloading the updates, the same problem occurred windows take 20 min to boot Ssd is new...
  3. Excuse me.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Excuse me.: I'm pretty sure HTML5 is illegal. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excuse-me/d6b3cbe4-145e-4370-87a4-7dab4f27c47e
  4. Initial Display takes 8-9 mins, then everything works fine!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Initial Display takes 8-9 mins, then everything works fine!!: I am having 8-9 minutes to wait before the Desktop appears after the start. Once it is there, everything works perfectly fine. I have undone the last update but nothing changed. Then Windows did the fresh update and nothing changed. I tried disabling App.rediness as well as...
  5. it would take 10 mins for my laptop to shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    it would take 10 mins for my laptop to shutdown: Sometimes when I shut down my laptop, it takes ttoooo loonggg.. it would take 10 mins for my laptop to shutdown, even worse, my laptop restarts after shutting it down... What is happening? Please i need help... submitted by /u/xGhosTx1298 [link] [comments]...
  6. Macrium Free - absolutely no reason to avoid taking backups 4 Mins !

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Free - absolutely no reason to avoid taking backups 4 Mins !: Hi there With speed of modern computers and I/O devices there's really no reason to avoid taking backups -- so many problems could be avoided if people imaged their systems regularly. Here's a reasonable backup - base W10 system with Office 2016 installed and a few small...
  7. Theres NO excuse for NOT taking Backups 8 Mins for Windows !!

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Theres NO excuse for NOT taking Backups 8 Mins for Windows !!: Hi there There's no excuse these days for NOT taking backups Windows 10 X-64 on laptop -- 232 GB SSD backed up to external 232 GB SSD connected via USB3-->sata connector. 8 Mins to do --and that includes running an active Virtual Machine while the backup was running....
  8. Logon Takes 3-4 mins

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Logon Takes 3-4 mins: Hey all Using Windows 10 Redstone, intel i7 laptop, with ssd. Startup takes about 8-10 secs after restart (power up). I've been using the hibernate feature for a long time, but last week when I restarted my computer it did not log on after I've entered my password. The...
  9. Backups - these days around 5 Mins so no excuse

Backups - these days around 5 Mins so no excuse: Hi there I think it's worth labouring this point -- backing up your OS these days can really be done in a few minutes so there is 100% NO EXCUSE for not doing it. If your OS is say on an SSD a backup will take for an average system only around 5 - 10 mins (do it for...
  10. No excuse any more for failing to take decent Backups

No excuse any more for failing to take decent Backups: Hi there. I think we've all said this "Ad Nauseam" but these days with decent computers and reasonable HDD's (better if SSD's) there absolutely is NO reason not to take a backup before even doing relatively maintenance. I've just taken a backup of a test W10 system...