Windows 10: No Free Space, OEM Partition too Large?

Discus and support No Free Space, OEM Partition too Large? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently did what I thought was a clean install of windows 10. I now have no room at all left on the laptop to install anything, I am down to 400mb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stumpy27, Jan 24, 2017.

1. stumpy27 Win User

No Free Space, OEM Partition too Large?

I recently did what I thought was a clean install of windows 10. I now have no room at all left on the laptop to install anything, I am down to 400mb of free space.

I am not sure what the problem is. I thought a clean install would free up more space. Any suggestions? The OEM partition seems large, could that be the problem? Or did I miss some stuff with the clean install? Should I have installed it on a different partition? I'd like to install some stuff on it before I travel this weekend, otherwise it is pretty useless.

Thanks.

No Free Space, OEM Partition too Large? [​IMG]

:)

stumpy27, Jan 24, 2017
  2. 154Neil Win User

Win 10 Pro Activation Failed get “ Activation failed because this device doesn’t have a valid digital entitlement or product key. Error code 0x803F7001”

Okay, I am getting close to actually understanding.

When I get the custom and see the partitions, I have 3 partitions :

Partition 1 39.0 MB with 30 MB free and type is OEM (reserved)

Partition 2 (OS) 297.6 GB, 233.1 GB free, Type is System

Partition 3 450 MB, 112.0 MB free, type OEM (Reserved)

There are noUnallocated space

Should I delete partitions 1 & 3 than install it on Partition 2. If that is the case how do I get to use the area of partitions deleted. Or should I delete all partitions then formation and then install?

Please advise

154Neil, Jan 24, 2017
  3. W10 update says I don't have enough disk space? On a new laptop.

Can you give us more information. What is the total size of the HD. What is the TOTAL free space on the OS partition, and is there any free space on different partition on the same HD?

There is a good free app called tree size (by Jam software) that will tell you what is using the space.

20 Gb free will (very soon) be a problem even if you do not upgrade to win 10 and either the HD is partitioned or it is too small.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jan 24, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

It appears you have 2 separate HDD's....with the OS installed on both. The C drive is the default drive for booting. So I'm guessing with your clean install you didn't remove (delete) the previous partitions on either drive.

As for your issue of low space.....I see nothing that indicates that. Usually with a low space issue you recieve an error message and the drive or partition in question shows as "RED". Which I don't see.

What do you have set as your boot drive? It should be the C drive.

Plankton, Jan 24, 2017
  5. Plankton Win User
    Oh crap...I see it now. It now looks like with your clean install you put the OS on the wrong drive. You should have selected the D drive. You may want to start over and do another clean install and this time delete all the drives and partitions.

Plankton, Jan 24, 2017
  6. stumpy27 Win User
    Thanks, that makes sense. When I was trying to reinstall Windows, all the partitions were reserved and it wouldn't let me install on any of them, so I had to create a new one, that must have been where I made the mistake. I figured I would have to start over.

stumpy27, Jan 24, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    Remove second drive install to first drive but delete acer paritions its empty anyway then install

Samuria, Jan 24, 2017
  8. stumpy27 Win User

That worked. Formatted the acer partition and installed to that. Thanks for the help!

stumpy27, Jan 24, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    Most likely a Hybrid drive. That M.2 card is not supposed to even be accessible by the OS or user. Appears that the Acer area is the true install and most likely the Disk 1, which is the Hybrid drive is just being used as Page file area.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. No Free Space, OEM Partition too Large? - Similar Threads - Free Space OEM

2. How to restore the free space partition?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to restore the free space partition?: It used to be the D disk but now it becomes this free space oneI can't upload the picture https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-the-free-space-partition/97c9bd5c-ccda-47d3-8c48-255adf9cfccd
  3. How to restore the free space partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore the free space partition?: It used to be the D disk but now it becomes this free space oneI can't upload the picture https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-the-free-space-partition/97c9bd5c-ccda-47d3-8c48-255adf9cfccd
  4. How to restore the free space partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Deleting files too large for recycling bin not freeing up space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleting files too large for recycling bin not freeing up space: When I delete files too large for the recycling bin it just disappears and it doesn’t free up space, after deleting I can’t find the files anywhere submitted by /u/Vireviper [link] [comments]...
  6. Disk Management partition free space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Management partition free space: Win 10 Pro, 21H2, fully up-to-date. Disk Management shows status of partitions 1, 4, 5, 6 and C: partition 3 on the 512GB SSD boot drive disk 1. It lists the capacity of the partitions, how much is Free Space, and % Free. For partitions 1, 4, 5, 6, it says their entire...
  7. Disk Management partition free space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Management partition free space: Win 10 Pro, 21H2, fully up-to-date. Disk Management shows status of partitions 1, 4, 5, 6 and C: partition 3 on the 512GB SSD boot drive disk 1. It lists the capacity of the partitions, how much is Free Space, and % Free. For partitions 1, 4, 5, 6, it says their entire...
  8. Disk Management partition free space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Wiping the free space in recovery partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wiping the free space in recovery partition: I'm selling my laptop and deleting everything except the windows. Is there a way to securely wipe the free space in recovery and uefi partitions?i did the other volumes with cipher w in cmd but don't know how to address these drives with that command. submitted by /u/cs-k...
  10. Monitor Usable Space is Too Large for Screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitor Usable Space is Too Large for Screen: Something happened about a month ago where the usable area of the screen is not all visible. For instance, when a desktop item is updated the icon for it will appear in the upper left corner of the screen...but only the right half will be visible. It appears that the monitor...