Windows 10: No Hardrive Dell Inspiron 5785

Discus and support No Hardrive Dell Inspiron 5785 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; [img] My laptop ie 2 years old. bought with windows 8.1 and updated to 10 when it first came out . My hard drive has disappeared , can anyone advice... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by kittenwoman, Mar 6, 2017.

1. No Hardrive Dell Inspiron 5785

No Hardrive Dell Inspiron 5785 [​IMG]

My laptop ie 2 years old. bought with windows 8.1 and updated to 10 when it first came out . My hard drive has disappeared , can anyone advice me please ..?
    every night i put it off and morning Ive no battery left . Battery good so isnt shutting down. So when i put on in morning with plug out i get a hard drive error .. No hardrive . Please help me

:)

kittenwoman, Mar 6, 2017

2. My Passport Ultra (external hardrive)

Okay so I connected my external hardrive-my passport ultra, to my dell inspiron 15r laptop running windows 10, but for some reason it doesnt seem to do anything. the external hardrive lights up and makes a sound as if it is
    running but my laptop doesnt do anything and when i try to look for it on my computer it can't be located. do i need to download some type of program or drive? please help!!!

thanks for your time and help, Bianca

BiancaKlassy, Mar 6, 2017
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Windows Hello unsupported on my computer

Hi Linda,

Windows Hello is a security system designed by Microsoft that uses bio metrics to log you into your Windows 10 laptop. To take advantage of facial recognition, your device needs a special kind of camera that can scan your face, so not all laptops with webcams
    are compatible. Kindly check the list which compatible with Windows Hello.

• Dell Inspiron 13 5379 2-in-1
    • Dell Inspiron 13 7370 2-in-1
    • Dell Inspiron 13 7373 2-in-1
    • Dell Inspiron 15 5567
    • Dell Inspiron 15 5579 2-in-1
    • Dell Inspiron 15 7570
    • Dell Inspiron 15 7573 2-in-1
    • Dell Inspiron 17 7773 2-in-1
    • Dell Latitude 12 5280
    • Dell Latitude 12 5285 2-in-1
    • Dell Latitude 12 5289 2-in-1
    • Dell Latitude 12 7280
    • Dell Latitude 12 7285 2-in-1
    • Dell Latitude 13 3379 2-in-1
    • Dell Latitude 13 7380
    • Dell Latitude 13 7389 2-in-1
    • Dell Latitude 14 3000
    • Dell Latitude 14 3480
    • Dell Latitude 14 5480
    • Dell Latitude 14 7480
    • Dell Latitude 15 3580
    • Dell Latitude 15 5580
    • Dell Inspiron 15 5570
    • Dell Inspiron 17 5770
    • Dell Latitude 11 5000 2-in-1
    • Dell Latitude 12 5285 2-in-1
    • Dell Latitude 12 5289 2-in-1
    • Dell Latitude 12 7000 Rugged
    • Dell Latitude 13 7000
    • Dell Precision 15 7000
    • Dell XPS 13
    • Dell XPS 13 2-in-1
    • Dell XPS 15

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Mar 6, 2017
  4. No Hardrive Dell Inspiron 5785

No Hardrive Dell Inspiron 5785 [​IMG]

ran a hardware test and it passed .... with dell

kittenwoman, Mar 6, 2017
  5. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Does the laptop exhibit this behavior if you leave in plugged in to the charger?

Also please clarify "my hard drive has disappeared". You ran a test on it so it must have come back.
    So does that mean that it disappears temporarily, just when you first start up in the morning?

Also: When you turn it off in the evening, are you using the "Shut Down" command from the Start Menu, or are you using Sleep, Hibernate, or just closing the lid?

6. Thankyou for getting back to me..
    If the plug is in it loads ok still with the red line on the hard drive though...
    When i shut down at night it never seems to shut down properly hence morning time no power left in laptop..Tried the shutdown holding the shift button still doesnt shut down properly. ( read somewhere )
    If it shut down properly maybe i wouldnt get the lots of errors i do when i power it on with no plug.. No power in it lots errors
    maybe i said it wrong hard drive disappeared. Its only when i put on laptop morning with no plug i get all the errors..

kittenwoman, Mar 6, 2017
  7. The most apparant issue Im seeing here is that you drive is very nearly full. Thats why the red line is there. That is to let you know that you are running out of space on your drive. That can cause performance issues and errors to show up. What do you have taking up all that space? Music, movies, games, etc?

I would suggest deleting some stuff you dont need, uninstalling programs/games you dont use and/or moving some of that data over to a USB hard drive to open it back up.

ArazelEternal, Mar 6, 2017
  8. TV2
    TV2 Win User

No Hardrive Dell Inspiron 5785

That is good advice above.
    Try and move or remove 50 or 100GB of stuff off the drive to backup. This should make the red "getting full" bar for drive C: in Devices And Drives green again. It may also give enough room for Windows to close down properly.

Is that red bar the problem you have? Or is there another problem with using the drive?
    If the C: drive was not working your laptop would not start up into Windows.

9. Samuria Win User
    If its not actually finding the drive but then finds it on reboot this is a known problem with dell. The pc on boot checks for hds then starts but the disk isnt up to speed so it doesnt find it when you reboot its been spining warm and upto speed so it finds it ok. A lot of dells have a bios option to wait x seconds on boot so the drive can spin up and register. Another solution is if its there enter the drive spec instead of having it set to auto it can also be first signs of drive failing

Samuria, Mar 7, 2017
    kittenwoman, Mar 7, 2017
  11. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    I know this is a contradiction, but this free program here:
    TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs
    will allow you to see, graphically, exactly what it is taking up space on your hard drive.

You can ask here what the things are that create the largest blocks of space and we can tell you what they are, whether you should delete them or not, or what you can do to reclaim space. Please don't delete anything unless you know what it is and what it does.

Very often the prime suspect is a hibernation file, or an unusually large amount of restore points.

12. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    A failing battery can do some strange things to a laptop. And batteries near end of life can drain off on their own.

I'd like you to try a test tonight. If possible, remove the battery completely, plug in the charger, and just run the laptop off the charger (no battery). Turn it off at the end of the day like usual but leave it plugged in.
    See if it starts and operates normally in the morning like that.
    Starts normally, no problems = bad battery causing problems.
    Starts with same problem = battery fine, it is something else.

13. No Hardrive Dell Inspiron 5785

okay thank you will download today and get back to you. later today . ...

kittenwoman, Mar 8, 2017
  14. okay will try that tonight and have the camera ready to start in morning ... 2 years old , would it need a battery already yes perhaps ? okay will come back to you in morning ...thanks to you all....

kittenwoman, Mar 8, 2017
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Why not simply get a new HDD -- laptop HDD's are really cheap these days - and actually on an older laptop using say an SSD will really make that old system fly.

When your computer is working image the OS and restore to an SSD (or HDD) - connect to computer via SATA-->USB connector -- can be got really cheaply from amazon etc.

It's usually really simple swapping HDD's on older laptops -- it's all but impossible though on modern ultra thin ones though.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 8, 2017
Thema:

No Hardrive Dell Inspiron 5785

1. No Hardrive Dell Inspiron 5785 - Similar Threads - Hardrive Dell Inspiron

2. Dell Inspiron 3584

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell Inspiron 3584: One day, my brother had accidentally set a BIOS Administrator Password. To reset the password, I had taken my laptop to a local service center. They said that the BIOS chip will be replaced. From that instance, my laptop is taking around 1 minute 15 seconds to boot. Every...
  3. Dell Inspiron 3584

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dell Inspiron 3584: One day, my brother had accidentally set a BIOS Administrator Password. To reset the password, I had taken my laptop to a local service center. They said that the BIOS chip will be replaced. From that instance, my laptop is taking around 1 minute 15 seconds to boot. Every...
  4. Dell Inspiron 3584

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. dell inspiron n4050

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dell inspiron n4050: hi,i have dell inspiron n4050 having i3 2370m in it with 2 gb ram....can it run win 10 smoothly??????,plz reply https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-inspiron-n4050/27fd62d2-276f-4e83-9365-da664aab9307
  6. Dell Inspiron Touchscreen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dell Inspiron Touchscreen: After attempting to add drivers for a USB device to my Inispiron 3593, the touchscreen no longer works. How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-inspiron-touchscreen/df9ecca2-10ea-4e1a-a6f1-9d16f01538ab
  7. Dell Inspiron

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dell Inspiron: I have a 6 yr old Dell Inspiron 15 laptop running Windows 10. I had external speakers (Logitech) working fine for years, playing my ITunes music. I decided to improve my sound further by connecting to my new Polk speakers via my Yamaha AVR. No sound. Internal speakers work,...
  8. Dell Inspiron battery

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dell Inspiron battery: battery won't charge, always shows 'plugged in, not charging' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-inspiron-battery/59cc6a57-375f-4980-8a7b-871387218c46"
  9. Dell Inspiron

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dell Inspiron: Hi I have been having trouble starting my dell Inspiron 6400 it was last running Windows 10 Build 9841. it was working fine with no problems at all until one morning when I tried to turn it on it was not showing Dell Logo just turning on and showing my Num lock, Scroll...
  10. Dell Inspiron 3543

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dell Inspiron 3543: Hi folks never had a BSOD in the last year and 4 months that ive had this lappy now ive had 2 in 12 hours what would the issue be ? i hope the tool got all the relevant stuff. thanks 47629