Windows 10: No headphone sound

Discus and support No headphone sound in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Since the latest Win 10 update I can no longer get sound to come out of headphones. Before when I plugged in headphones the speakers were turned off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by carrotmuseum, Dec 19, 2015.

1. No headphone sound

Since the latest Win 10 update I can no longer get sound to come out of headphones.

Before when I plugged in headphones the speakers were turned off automatically. Now nothing happens when phones plugged in except the speakers continue to give audio sound but nothing from headphones.

:)

carrotmuseum, Dec 19, 2015
  2. stamstive Win User

audio wont switch to headphones for games

if a game is opened while i'm on spekers and then i connect the headphones, the game sound won't switch to the headphones.

the rest of the sound will. only the game sound won't switch. if i restart the game completly while the headphones are connected the sound will be on headphones, but if i disconect them the sound won't move to spekers.

i'm using dell inspiron 17 5000

stamstive, Dec 19, 2015
  3. Grace Pas Win User
    No headphone sound

Hi,

Are you still having the same issue?

Looking forward to your response.

Grace Pas, Dec 19, 2015
  4. fireberd Win User

No headphone sound

"Refresh" the sound drivers. Go to the Device Manager, Sound, Video and Game Controllers section, RIGHT click on the entry for your sound driver and then LEFT click "Uninstall". DO NOT uninstall the drivers. Restart the PC and when Windows starts it will detect and reinstall the sound. This fixes a lot of problems and may take care of yours.

fireberd, Dec 19, 2015
  5. No, tried that, thanks. It's an issue which occurred with several other issues after the latest "update" leaving me to reset many aspects again. I am guessing this is going to happen EVERY time a major update is shipped out. VERY FRUSTRATING - I will probably end up going back to Win7

carrotmuseum, Dec 19, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    Carrotmuseum which brand and model headphones, how do they plug into the system ? What sound card do you have ?

jds63, Dec 19, 2015
  7. Unbranded, plugs in 3.5 mm jack, they work on other devices.

BUT - I think I have solved it:

Device Manager - Sounds - Communications - then check "mute all other sounds" - This mutes speakers automatically when h/phones plugged - simple but not easy to find!

It suddenly came back to me as just one of the many things which the first upgrade to Win 10 changed on my system (as well as touch and, graphics settings etc etc) Frankly Win 10 is far from perfect or better than Win 7

carrotmuseum, Dec 20, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

No headphone sound

Work on other devices, which type ? Not sure where you mean Device Manager - sounds - communications ? Sure did not go to Sound in Control Panel ? Did not realize this was a laptop at first. If figured it out and it works for you, good, other then that i would look into mentioned Sound in Control Panel or Sound device settings. Windows 10 is still new, Windows 7 been around longer, so it is a work in progress as being a newer OS, give it time.

jds63, Dec 20, 2015
  9. HMonk Win User
    Solved same issue by Rt-click on speaker in notification area>click on playback devices>select from options (speakers/headphones)>cycle through the tabs> cycle through properties tabs. You can also access the controller properties from this locus.

Configuring playback in this way solved my issue. Given that I had precisely the same issue as you on my laptop, I am wont to assure you that the issue is related to config, not hardware. In my dual-boot laptop, I had OK sound in Win7; in Win10, no left channel and sound through the speakers when the headphones were plugged in. Oddly, Windows default sounds played fine, something you can test on your system to verify yours is a config issue.

Hope this helps.

Monk

HMonk, Dec 20, 2015
  10. Using that method I can only select either headphones or speakers as default. Before when I turned on speakers it played through the speakers, as soon as I plugged in headphones it played through headphones and muted speakers. That does not happen now.

I have changed nothing. It occurred after wIn10 update

carrotmuseum, Dec 22, 2015
  11. Headphones work on other devices, such as my mobile phone. In Device Manager, third column there is Sound. Select that and it gives 4 tabs, last one is communication. My problem is still not solved. I can only make speakers or headphones as default device. Before when I turned speakers on it played through speakers, as soon as I plugged in headphones the speakers muted automatically and I got audio through headphones.
    I changed nothing only event was Win 10 update.

12. Under options I have speakers and headphones as separate options - NOT speakers/headphone

13. jds63 Win User

No headphone sound

Laptop only has usually one jack for this 3.5mm. Yeah i am figuring should mute it in this case say compared to a desktop with a front jack for integrated sound card and if an additional PCI sound card with a jack, then there is differences to it. Not too familiar with laptops. Your case hard to think the operating system has changed anything or is causing this to happen, but maybe the settings of the sound device defaulted back and places you need to look are within the sound device settings, whether it be realtek as an example of software not the device manager. These are the usual places along with Sound in the Control Panel as i am still not sure what using the device manager has to do with this as far as settings goes as you are telling me, it's only a place for system and hardware drivers.

jds63, Dec 23, 2015
  14. I tried the troubleshooting, that just gives the option of a fix to make either the speakers or the headphones the default device.
    Whichever I choose the problem remains and speakers do not mute when hphone plugged in.

Feels like Win 10 update, updated the sound card drivers and created this problem.

carrotmuseum, Dec 23, 2015
  15. jds63 Win User
    Are you saying also when you updated sound card drivers this seemed to happen? Try to uninstall them then to see, remove the software and uninstall the driver in Device manager under Sound, Video and Game controllers. This way will use a default one. Can you recall which update from Windows did this, if you go to Windows updates then click advanced options then view your update history and you will see a list of all updates.
    Let me know which one you think it was.

jds63, Dec 26, 2015
Thema:

No headphone sound

1. No headphone sound - Similar Threads - headphone sound

2. Sound problem with jack connected headphones

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound problem with jack connected headphones: My laptop is a Dell 16 7610 with Windows 11, 23H2. During the last few weeks, I have the following problem with the sound of my laptop. The sound works all right with the internal speakers and/or Bluetooth connected speakers. However, when I try to connect external speakers...
  3. Sound problem with jack connected headphones

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound problem with jack connected headphones: My laptop is a Dell 16 7610 with Windows 11, 23H2. During the last few weeks, I have the following problem with the sound of my laptop. The sound works all right with the internal speakers and/or Bluetooth connected speakers. However, when I try to connect external speakers...
  4. no sound, no speakers or headphone plugged

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    no sound, no speakers or headphone plugged: after reinstall windows 10 no speakers or headphone plugged in. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-sound-no-speakers-or-headphone-plugged/09f9bee2-88bf-43fe-8521-66392e32e827
  5. no sound, no speakers or headphone plugged

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no sound, no speakers or headphone plugged: after reinstall windows 10 no speakers or headphone plugged in. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-sound-no-speakers-or-headphone-plugged/09f9bee2-88bf-43fe-8521-66392e32e827
  6. no sound, no speakers or headphone plugged

7. My headphones produce microphone sound, not the headphones sound

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My headphones produce microphone sound, not the headphones sound: So, my PC plays microphone quality sound into my headphones, and when i want to switch to my normal headphone sound, it produces no sound at all....
  8. My headphones produce microphone sound, not the headphones sound

My headphones produce microphone sound, not the headphones sound: So, my PC plays microphone quality sound into my headphones, and when i want to switch to my normal headphone sound, it produces no sound at all....
  9. The recent Windows 10 update broke my audio, I get no sound when I connect my headphones...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The recent Windows 10 update broke my audio, I get no sound when I connect my headphones...: The recent Windows 10 update broke my audio, I get no sound when I connect my headphones with 3.5mm audio jack, tried two of my headphones already and they work just fine everywhere else. However, when I try to connected via Bluetooth I can hear the sound just fine, seems to...
  10. The recent Windows 10 update broke my audio, I get no sound when I connect my headphones...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The recent Windows 10 update broke my audio, I get no sound when I connect my headphones...: The recent Windows 10 update broke my audio, I get no sound when I connect my headphones with 3.5mm audio jack, tried two of my headphones already and they work just fine everywhere else. However, when I try to connected via Bluetooth I can hear the sound just fine, seems to...