Windows 10: No Login Screen and No Power button

Discus and support No Login Screen and No Power button in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My wife's computer just updated last week, and now we can't use it. It boots to the "bright" wallpaper, and then when you pull up on the screen to get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by c131frdave, Feb 2, 2018.

1. No Login Screen and No Power button

My wife's computer just updated last week, and now we can't use it. It boots to the "bright" wallpaper, and then when you pull up on the screen to get to the password, the screen dims a little and nothing else. In the past, the screen dimmed a little and asked you for your password, now it's just the wallpaper. If you wait long enough, it goes back to a bright screen until you clidk on it- it then dims like it is asking you for a password again, but no box to type in. The only thing on the screen is in the bottom right hand corner there is a network icon, but it isn't connected... I tried using my installation media to troubleshoot the startup, but it didn't do anything. I tried to tell it to restore from the startup media screen, but it says there are no image files to restore to. It's driving me bonkers. I opened the command prompt and did a few things I found on these forums, but nothing. Please help!

:)

c131frdave, Feb 2, 2018
  2. lacrumb Win User

Login screen with no login button

Normal use of the Lock screen is to click on it with the mouse or hit the space bar. The date and time scroll up and you get the Log on screen.

lacrumb, Feb 2, 2018
  3. Login screen with no login button

Hello,

my login screen shows up with a picture of a lake but there is no login button! Control-alt-delete doesn't not work.

turning computer off and on twice and didn't work. How do I find my login button so I could use my computer!!! It worked fine yesterday . I have windows10.

Magdalena37, Feb 2, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

No Login Screen and No Power button

You are going to need a bootable USB repair or install media for Windows 10 (if that's what you're using) to fix this. Because you're posting to the forum, is it safe to assume you have access to another computer? If so, you can turn to this tutorial by Brink Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials to learn how to build such a flash drive or DVD for fixing the affected PC. Once you get that far, then you can try the repair facilities that the bootable USB will offer. How does this sound so far? We can help you get your wife's PC working again, but it's going to take some time and effort. So: buckle up!
    And welcome to the Forums, too. We're here to help and we'll do our best to help you set things straight, c131frdave.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 2, 2018
  5. Thank you. I have a bootable USB- the one that Windows 10 came on- that I've been using. None of the tools work. I've tried them all. *Sad

c131frdave, Feb 2, 2018
  6. OH, btw, I paid $130 for a genuine Windows Home 64 Pro, or whatever, and they gave me the cheesiest low grade USB stick I've ever seen. LOL. It barely fits in the USB port...

c131frdave, Feb 2, 2018
  7. zbook New Member
    1) Please update the system specs in the "My Computer" section:

System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Site Use Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Include PSU. cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wired or wireless (mouse, keyboard, headset, printer, xbox, etc.)

2) Open the website for the computer or motherboard manufacturer > enter product or serial number or model number > select the operating system > view drivers > post a URL or hyperlink into the thread

3) Did startup repair fail?
    4) Did system restore fail or were there no usable restore points?
    5) What steps did you make with command prompt?

zbook, Feb 2, 2018
  8. No Login Screen and No Power button

Well, my computer and her computer are completely different, which is why I didn't fill in that information.

Her computer is a HP ProDesk. I assume it has a HP motherboard of some type. It has a cooler that obviously was designed for the case, just a fan, nothing special. The graphics card is on board. It has a keyboard and mouse. That's it. It doesn't even currently have wireless internet, just some integrated LAN card again part of the motherboard. IT has an HP DVD drive. Windows 10 Home 64 bit, which was the free upgrade from Windows 7 they did last year or whenever- she just clicked the windows icon in the bottom right of her screen and it started updating the system to Windows 10. I stayed with Windows 7 on my computer until last week when I had to purchase Windows 10 (they don't do free upgrades anymore), and am using the installation USB stick on her computer to do the troubleshooting.

Startup repair failed.
    System restore failed because there were no usable restore points.
    In command, I typed "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy" to try to get safemode to work- there is no way for me to get into safemode. It didn't work, gave some error like "wrong windows version" or something.

I also went into the registry and deleted some things in there, in the NT/startup string. I also changed the shell to "explorer.exe" and that didn't work either.

Thanks!!

c131frdave, Feb 2, 2018
  9. Winuser Win User
    The Windows 10 Pro key is the important part. If needed a ISO of Windows 10 Pro can be downloaded from MS. I purchased a downloadable version of Windows 10 Pro from Newegg and only used the key they sent me.

Winuser, Feb 2, 2018
  10. EdTittel Win User
    Tell us the model number from the HP sticker on the laptop (if you can't find one, you may have to pop open the battery hatch, and look in there). Then we can start making some additional recommendations. Sounds like you're making some progress, though. Keep at it, please!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 2, 2018
  11. zbook New Member
    The website in the "My Computer" section has the option to enter multiple computers.
    So you can open multiple threads or have your wife open one.
    Having the computer specs in the "My Computer" section will be useful for viewers to provide support and not waste time scrolling for the information.
    So please provide as much information as you can in this area.

Please create 1 thread for each computer so that it does not confuse viewers.

For the HP computer had you updated the UEFI hardware diagnostics?

For the computer for this thread please open the website > drivers > post a URL or hyperlink into the thread.

For the repairs please find a flash drive that you can format ( > or = 8 GB )
    Create a bootable Windows 10 iso:
    Download Windows 10

zbook, Feb 2, 2018
  12. Winuser Win User
    This is a long shot but when you get to the password screen even though you can't see the box try typing in the password and hit enter.

Winuser, Feb 2, 2018
  13. No Login Screen and No Power button

It's not a laptop, it's a desktop. This thread is for one computer, not two. My computer (the one I am typing with) is just fine. Her desktop is the problem computer. Sorry if I made this confusing.

c131frdave, Feb 2, 2018
  14. zbook New Member
    1) Are you nearby that computer now to troubleshoot it?
    2) Are you able to create a bootable windows 10 iso now?
    3) Did you want to troubleshoot it now?
    4) On this webpage enter the computers product or serial number > select the operating system > view the drivers > copy and paste the hyperlink into the thread

zbook, Feb 2, 2018
  15. 1. I am now. Had to take my boy out with his friends last night.
    2. I've had one of those from the start. I've used all the tools on it too. None work.
    3. Yes
    4. I have no idea any of this information other than it is using Windows 10 64bit. There is nothing connected to it except a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. It is a Hewlett Packard ProDesk Desktop that is about 3 years old. It has an Intel Core i5 sticker on it. The hard drive used to have Windows 7 on it, and was originally in one of my home made computers, but I put it in this HP ProDesk desktop a few months after we got it (the original hard drive stopped working). Shortly after I put it in, say around July 2016, Windows offered the free Windows 10 upgrade, which my wife did. It downloaded Windows 10 and installed it. The computer has been working fine since then until recently when an update loaded.

c131frdave, Feb 2, 2018
Thema:

No Login Screen and No Power button

1. No Login Screen and No Power button - Similar Threads - Login Screen Power

2. The power button light is on but the screen is black.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The power button light is on but the screen is black.: I have a HP Pavilion 14. It stupendously overheats randomly on apps like Adobe Acrobat Etc. Today it lost battery and I charged it for an hour. The laptop is showing a black screen on boot. It has a whining noise for a few seconds but it just stops.It has an i7 and iris xe...
  3. The power button light is on but the screen is black.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The power button light is on but the screen is black.: I have a HP Pavilion 14. It stupendously overheats randomly on apps like Adobe Acrobat Etc. Today it lost battery and I charged it for an hour. The laptop is showing a black screen on boot. It has a whining noise for a few seconds but it just stops.It has an i7 and iris xe...
  4. Power button and screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power button and screen: Hello I have a problem with my laptop. I assigned the power button to hibernate but when i press it nothing happens. And when i enter start menu and select power and choose hibernate the screen turns black but not off and the laptop keeps running but you can't do anything....
  5. Power button missing from Login screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Power button missing from Login screen: I looked this up on other websites before coming to this conclusion. When I go in my computer, I open up run, open registry edit, and go through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System. Once I'm there I'm supposed to look for...
  6. Power Off button vs. Shut Down button on screen.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power Off button vs. Shut Down button on screen.: Is there any problems using the 'power-button' on the tower vs. using the 'Shut Down' button on screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-off-button-vs-shut-down-button-on-screen/b9c98a3c-b0d5-4436-8acd-39788bab7209
  7. Sign-in screen - no power button/icon

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sign-in screen - no power button/icon: What can you do if you need to use safe mode or try to reboot and there is no option on the sign-in screen to select power? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sign-in-screen-no-power-buttonicon/98e0a87a-ddee-4a7e-ad30-42f24b46ee97"
  8. Blank screen with no login button on login screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Blank screen with no login button on login screen: I turned on my HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 10 operating system. Usually there was no lock screen but the lock screen was displayed. After I clicked the lock screen, the background just went blank. I think the login screen should be shown. The first photo is the lock...
  9. I forgot my login password and the power button icon is missing off the login screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I forgot my login password and the power button icon is missing off the login screen: I'm locked out of my computer, and the power button is missing on the login screen. I use to have this computer set up on micrsoft and don't know how it got deleted. Help...
  10. Window 10, not showing login user and power button

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Window 10, not showing login user and power button: When i tried to star my pc i could not find the user account to login even the power button.would please help me with this problem[ATTACH] When i click enter the display [ATTACH]...