Windows 10: No longer authorized to write shared drives

Discus and support No longer authorized to write shared drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; About 2 months ago after a windows 10 update my shared drives started producing an error stating that Administrator approval was required to make... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by btbuz, Apr 28, 2017.

1. btbuz Win User

No longer authorized to write shared drives

About 2 months ago after a windows 10 update my shared drives started producing an error stating that Administrator approval was required to make changes. I rechecked all the settings and permissions on my W10Pro main machine but W10Home laptops can see shared drives but not transfer files to or within the shared drives. My objective is to keep all my working files on my HP Desktop (3 internal drives). I recently installed an 8T usb external drive and have the same problem with it. My intent is to use it for streaming media but want to access it from the laptops.

I've seen and made recommended changes to the registry which had no impact on the problem. I've shared the devices at the top level and even tried sharing at the folder level. Neither work. I have set "everyone" full control. That should include all users. I have turned off password control (never turned it on).

I am at a total loss for where to turn. The only changes made to the system was Windows 10 upgrades. I know MS breaks things when they upgrade but have not seen other recent reference to this problem. Is anyone else suffering from this? Should I upgrade all machines to Pro? There are 6 machines on this network.

All thoughts welcome.

:)

btbuz, Apr 28, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

my Canon image class printer MF3110 is no longer supported by canon on window 10

Only Canon has the knowledge and legal authority to write a driver for their printer. If they are no longer supporting that printer, there isn't anything that you or anyone else can do about it.

BulldogXX, Apr 28, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Creators Update Networking

Didn't help. I did go to setup and reset networking all my devices. Now at least the computers show up when I display the network. I can click on a computer and get the shared folders and drives displayed. But, if I click on a shared resource, I get
    an error message directed me to my network administrator because I'm not authorized to access the resource.

Problem is I have advanced sharing enabling everyone read/write access and the computers are on the same Intranet and on the same workgroup. My primary objective is to get Synchtoy working again so my shared folders are in synch across machines.

Sigmund Puchacz, Apr 28, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Sharing security lets you into the share but then the ntfs permissions decided who can read write etc so you need to look at the permissions on the folders you want to access

Samuria, Apr 28, 2017
Thema:

1. No longer authorized to write shared drives - Similar Threads - longer authorized write

2. Shared Folder on External Drive No Longer Shared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared Folder on External Drive No Longer Shared: I shared a folder on external drive. I also have a shared folder on the PC that the external drive is connected to. Twice now I've gone to access the shared folder on the external drive, and it wouldn't connect. So then I would access the PC in question via "\\MyPCName",...
  3. Sharing folders with write access

Sharing folders with write access: I have a need to share some folders/directories with write access on a small office network. I can't figure out how to do this now. What's needed: Some machines have write access to some folders, everything has read-access to everything shared we don't need or desire...
  4. No longer sharing One Drive

No longer sharing One Drive: I had a shared One Drive with my now ex husband, I have resubscribed to Office 365 with my own email but my laptop is still saving my files to the shared One Drive...
  5. I can no longer write in Windows

in Cortana
    I can no longer write in Windows: Hello, Since yesterday, I could not write in the Windows search bar, or even the Microsoft Store applications, like Insta or Twitter. I also can't write to File Explorer and the cmd.Thank you for your future answers ***moved on english forum***...
  6. Cannot write to a shared parent folder

Cannot write to a shared parent folder: I have a sharing problem that appeared after I upgraded to Windows 10 version 1903. Prior to the upgrade, I had a shared folder to which I could write (drag and drop using Windows Explorer) from another computer. After the upgrade, if I drag and drop a file to the shared...
  7. Network Connection to Shared Drive No Longer Working

Network Connection to Shared Drive No Longer Working: At our company we have a Windows 7 computer that has a shared drive. Everyone in the company has access to it. Last week I lost access to this shared drive. When I click on the mapped drive I get the message, "An error occurred while connecting to S: to \\server...
  8. Folders shared but desktop no longer seeing laptop's drive

Folders shared but desktop no longer seeing laptop's drive: I have three computers, main desktop, backup old desktop, and laptop. I had a guy come and set up sharing so they'd see each other. However, the main desktop has stopped seeing the laptop. When I turn on the laptop and it connects to the network, it can see the other two...
  9. Can't write to Unix CIF shares

Can't write to Unix CIF shares: I have a Freenas Server (based on FreeBSD Unix) connected to my network. I can't get it to show up in file explorer untill I type "//000.000.000.000" (it's IP address). When I try to drag a file to the window CIF shares (Permissions in Unix are Allow Guest Access and...
  10. Shared Drives no longer visible in Explorer

Shared Drives no longer visible in Explorer: Hi,I know that there have been similar posts with similar issues. I have read the more but they are not exactly the same and I have tried some of the solutions posted but they have not worked.I have a desktop computer and a surface pro. The problem is with the desktop...