Windows 10: No longer can access my Synology NAS

Discus and support No longer can access my Synology NAS in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I can no longer access my Synology NAS through File Explorer or assign a drive letter to it via "net use" on two of my computers. I recently removed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by johnpd, Oct 20, 2017.

1. johnpd Win User

No longer can access my Synology NAS

I can no longer access my Synology NAS through File Explorer or assign a drive letter to it via "net use" on two of my computers. I recently removed SMBv1 from them. A third computer can see the NAS as I have not uninstalled SMB1 from that yet. Is there some workaround to get the two non-SMBv1 computers to recognize the NAS as I know SMBv1 is unsafe and will eventually go away?

JohnD

:)

johnpd, Oct 20, 2017
  2. JAHART Win User

Windows 10 Explorer cannot find my NAS

I have a Synology 713+ on my network that is Windows 8.1 Explorer can find under the network tab. When my copy of Windows 10 upgraded to the November update, the Synology NAS was no longer visible. If I type the address of the NAS //xxx.xxx.x.xxx into
    the address bar then the NAS is available. Technical support for Synology feels the problem is with Windows 10 local DNS name resolution. I have changed the adapter settings In TCP/IPv4 to allow WINS to use NetBIOS over TCP/IP, and this has not resolved the
    issue. Does anyone have any other ideas how to configure Windows 10 to resolve the name of my NAS?

JAHART, Oct 20, 2017
  3. MattPnyc Win User
    Cannot Connect to NAS Windows 10 Home

I have been trying to connect to a Synology NAS and cannot do so. The unit on occasionally appears as "other device" but that only connects me to the unit's web page. All the MACS in the house can access the NAS as well as a neighbor's XP machine so it's
    working fine.

The only Windows 10 PC that can connect to the NAS has Windows Pro. I've been through about 3 hours of tinkering with Synology, with no luck. So my question is: can Windows 10 Home access a NAS, or is this something built into Pro only?

MattPnyc, Oct 20, 2017
  4. Cliff S New Member

@Brink and I talked about this once(through PM so I don't have a link, sorry), and he told me he couldn't do it either because of his network sharing either.

Now that I mention tagged him here, when he comes on shift later, he'll see this and maybe can explain a bit more.

But if you need to turn on SMBv1 but want protection against petya(not petya) ransomeware, check out this link: Petya Attack. - Windows 10 Forums

By the way the file carries over when Windows upgrades as long as you don't refresh your PC.

No longer can access my Synology NAS [​IMG]

Cliff S, Oct 20, 2017
  5. johnpd Win User
    Thanks Cliff,

I was able to turn on SMBv2 on the NAS and now all the computers can see the NAS so I am happy. Apparently its default was SMBv1. Once I turned that off on the computers, the NAS went by-by. I still had to enter \\DISKSTATION on the File Explorer Network address line to get the NAS to pop up in the Network display, but that has been an ongoing problem with Windows 10 since the first Creators Update. I really need to update my NAS OS so I can get SMBv3.

JohnD

johnpd, Oct 20, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    *Thumbs You're welcome

Cliff S, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. No longer can access my Synology NAS - Similar Threads - longer access Synology

2. KB5022913 - Cumulative Update Breaks Access to Synology NAS & Slow File Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5022913 - Cumulative Update Breaks Access to Synology NAS & Slow File Access: Effective immediately after the install of 2023-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5022913, I have lost access to my Synology NAS file server. The NAS is setup using SMB2 or higher and accessible through a workgroup. Nothing has changed...
  3. KB5022913 - Cumulative Update Breaks Access to Synology NAS & Slow File Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5022913 - Cumulative Update Breaks Access to Synology NAS & Slow File Access: Effective immediately after the install of 2023-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5022913, I have lost access to my Synology NAS file server. The NAS is setup using SMB2 or higher and accessible through a workgroup. Nothing has changed...
  4. Access Synology NAS on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access Synology NAS on network: When attempting to access the folders and files on my Synology DS418play I'm confronted with "You do no have permission to access\\DS418Play Contact your administror to obtain permission."I've seen reference on the web to this predicament many times in an attempt to solve...
  5. Mapped drive to Synology NAS transfer speeds

Mapped drive to Synology NAS transfer speeds: Does anyone have s Synology NAS? I have one and mapped it to a drive letter and could see all the files on it without problems. However when i try to do a backup to it ot transfer files the transfer speed is single digit kbs. I must be doing something wrong. Anyone have any...
  6. Trouble connecting to Synology DS218J NAS

Trouble connecting to Synology DS218J NAS: Hi, I have a Synology DS218J on SMB. I have been able to access it via Windows Explorer with \\hostname just fine, but I just tried today and it no longer works. I get the following error message when I try to access a folder within the NAS [img] I get the following error...
  7. WIN10 / SYnology NAS

WIN10 / SYnology NAS: Howdy, A couple months ago I had an update and suddenly every time the PC goes to "sleep" I lose connection to My NAS. The odd thing is I can see the folders even though the show as a mapped drive they show an with an X. Once I try to access a file it says it can't find...
  8. Getting access to my data on Synology NAS

Getting access to my data on Synology NAS: Hi, I have a problem with my Synology DS211j – please any help would be appreciated: I bought the Synology NAS about a year ago but after setting-up the NAS I had a stroke :-(. I am now trying to re-lean my NASs but am struggling with my Synology: I can see the NAS has...
  9. Can't connect to Synology NAS

Can't connect to Synology NAS: I hope you can help, thanks... I don't have the password for our new Sysnology NAS (I suffered from a stroke just as I was re-installing the NAS last June). Is there anyway to get access to the data that was copied into the NAS please? Thanks! 75145
  10. MediaMonkey and (Synology) NAS Problem

MediaMonkey and (Synology) NAS Problem: I noticed that Macrium Reflect Free had stared to fail on scheduled backups and in fact was unable to connect to my NAS nor could file explorer, both using the server name. Connection could be made using the IP address. I could see the NAS as a media device but not as a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. synology nas no longer connected

2. can no longer see synology nas on network

3. can only access synology nas server using IP address windows 10

4. i dont have access to my synology,
  5. no longer access nas,
  6. added drive to synology and my username no longer works,
  7. windows pro deos not recognize synology nas