Windows 10: no longer seems able to apply an update

Discus and support no longer seems able to apply an update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; For those still dealing with this issue of DISM not working, there is a thorough discussion of this on page 30 of this thread, and why many have had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by kevvers, Oct 8, 2016.

1. kevvers Win User

no longer seems able to apply an update

I could not understand much of what went on earlier in this thread, but need to do something to my working Windows 10 that no longer seems able to apply an update.

running a command prompt as Administrator:
    sfc reports no problems
    dism reports no problems

Attempting to follow the instructions for an "elevated command prompt" (following the link at the top of this article) fails because both of those commands fail: sfc gets part way through and reports something like "System protection cannot complete requested tasks" and dism reports that /CheckHealth is unknown.

So I'm trying to do a repair with the 1607 ISO (on DVD). It fails in a very interesting way. It says it can't tell if this computer supports Windows 10. I took a screenshot of that. Please note:
    1. It's already running windows 10, and it is activated.
    2. It runs dual intel Xeon processors (each with 8 cores, hyperthreaded to 16 threads)
    3. It has 256 GB (really!) of RAM
    4. Not shown, but the primary drive has over 400 GB of free space.

Maybe somebody can guess exactly what it thinks keeps this machine from running Windows 10??? I could sure use some help with this.

no longer seems able to apply an update [​IMG]

:)

kevvers, Oct 8, 2016
  2. BE_H Win User

NO LONGER ABLE TO CONNECT TO AN IP

Hi PL.. thanks for your reply...

My env. is very basic. Single laptop running Windows 10 1607 >>> which starts VMplayer services(Linux OS guest sys., no connectivity to the internet).

I can start the VMplayer app from my desktop, logon and do normal things such as checking or running apps on the guest system. My issue is running apps on my desktop which require connectivity to an app running on the guest OS. They use the Ethernet connect
    using ODBC and require an IP. The existing IP I'm using worked fine under 1511 and now under 1607 it doesn't.

Under settings/network, the Ethernet adapter shows as unidentified network.

Again these are the current Ethernet settings. The IPv4 address has been changed from the address I had been using and there is no default gateway which seems strange... so.. I'm not sure sure what I can do in order to update the settings.. thanks

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet1

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-C0-00-01

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e9ad:e542:20b0:6a67%2(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.233.1(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 16, 2016 7:51:19 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 16, 2016 8:51:19 AM

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.233.254

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 33574998

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-AB-56-13-14-FE-B5-B9-BE-1D

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

BE_H, Oct 8, 2016
  3. NO LONGER ABLE TO CONNECT TO AN IP

Hi,

To help you on this, please provide us the following information:

• Are you using a wired or wireless connection?
    • Is your IP Address came directly from your connection or through a VPN?
    • Have you tried connecting another device on the same network?

PreciousLeb, Oct 8, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

@kevvers Seems one reason may be that other partitions are marked as active. You don't dual-boot by any chance? See...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...0-4aa68f502a44

Bree, Oct 8, 2016
  5. To get DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source: to work, you would need to use a version 1511 WIM file or files from a mounted Windows folder for version 1511.

If you want to quickly prove that 1607 will run on your hardware, just shrink drive C: by 64GB, boot with the 1607 install media and Custom install Windows to the unpartitioned space that was created when you shrunk C:. You can shrink C: easily in Disk Management or with Diskpart. This will create a second install of Windows, which will be Default in a dual-boot setup. This can be changed or easily deleted when you are done with it.

Various things can pose a problem for Windows upgrade to 1607. The best results for the upgrade to 1607 are by first completely uninstalling any non-Microsoft antivirus, restarting with a clean boot and also disabling all network adapters before launching setup.exe for the upgrade. Some have to also disconnect any USB devices that they can and others even have to disconnect extra hard disks during the upgrade. The clean boot uses msconfig to disable all non-Microsoft Services and Task Manager to disable all Startup items. All of this can be enabled after the upgrade succeeds.

DonCuthbert, Oct 8, 2016
  6. kevvers Win User
    That was it! I do dual-boot, with Windows on the first drive and an MSDOS partition style, and with Linux on all the other drives (quite a few of them,) all with GPT partitions. I use GRUB to boot, and had never noticed that none of the MSDOS partitions were marked active, since GRUB does not care. I marked the Windows boot partition as active, and got a lot of updates, including the anniversary update. Thanks very much.

kevvers, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. no longer seems able to apply an update - Similar Threads - longer seems able

2. No longer able to access a folder after Windows updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No longer able to access a folder after Windows updates: At my job, after some recent Windows updates we are no longer able to access a drive. We know it's due to an update as we were still able to access it from a loaner laptop that didn't have the latest update. We aren't sure which update did this but when we ran all updates for...
  3. No longer able to access a folder after Windows updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No longer able to access a folder after Windows updates: At my job, after some recent Windows updates we are no longer able to access a drive. We know it's due to an update as we were still able to access it from a loaner laptop that didn't have the latest update. We aren't sure which update did this but when we ran all updates for...
  4. My updates seems not to beeing able to connect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My updates seems not to beeing able to connect: Hello, i have an issue.Some how, i cant see the updates and the red exclamation mark always is showing, ever, even if i restart. i believed it may be cause for some kind of disconnection between server or something because its like its update but i cant find any other updates...
  5. My updates seems not to beeing able to connect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My updates seems not to beeing able to connect: Hello, i have an issue.Some how, i cant see the updates and the red exclamation mark always is showing, ever, even if i restart. i believed it may be cause for some kind of disconnection between server or something because its like its update but i cant find any other updates...
  6. My updates seems not to beeing able to connect

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows Update not able to apply new updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update not able to apply new updates: My system is no longer applying Windows Updates since July of 2020. I've tried running the Windows Update Assistant but it got stuck at 99% for more than a day. After attempting the suggested fix of copying the "media" folder to desktop, restarting, and running the...
  8. No longer able to get into BIOS

in Windows 10 Support
    No longer able to get into BIOS: System is a new (4 month old) B450-HDV R.4.0, AMD Ryzen 3. 8 GB RAM. OS is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Build 18363. Two 500 GB SSDs Been having some issues with I/O (RS-232) and a few other things but basically the Win 10 system is stable and working with a few issues I've been...
  9. GPO for Automatic Updates doesn't seem to be applying

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    GPO for Automatic Updates doesn't seem to be applying: Howdy, I'm trying to create a GPO to point our Windows 10 machines to our WSUS server and then use Automatic Download and Install during a maintenance schedule. I've gone under Automatic Maintenance Activation Boundary and set that to 13:00 (1PM) for testing. I've gone...
  10. wushowhide no longer seems to work.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    wushowhide no longer seems to work.: clean install goes fine. I then used wushowhide to prevent intel hd graphics 4600 from downloading. update downloads anyway 59971