Windows 10: No more sign in with MS Account on install?

Discus and support No more sign in with MS Account on install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is it just me or has MS removed the option to sign in during install? It now asks me "What name will be using this PC?" As apposed to using my MS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by antspants, Sep 12, 2017.

1. antspants Win User

No more sign in with MS Account on install?

Is it just me or has MS removed the option to sign in during install? It now asks me "What name will be using this PC?" As apposed to using my MS Account email which there seems to be no option for.
    I've not seen that before. Im doing a clean install with the latest ISO downloaded via Media Creator onto USB.

Hi! Bye!

:)

antspants, Sep 12, 2017
  2. BRCjr Win User

Can't sign in with MS account in Win 10

Is there still a Microsoft account listed @all settings>accounts>if so, remove it, restart, sign in with local account and then go through process of signing in with Microsoft account instead, it will ask for old password which means local account and then
    might move forward.

BRCjr, Sep 12, 2017
  3. Can't sign in with MS account in Win 10

Can you sign into your MS Account on the internet?

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 12, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Sep 12, 2017
  5. antspants Win User
    Hi Brink!!! No mate. I start install, enter my Windows 10 Key then after it asks me the usual questions like what country, keybord etc .. ut does a few more tweaks, updates a few things via online then the only option is something like "Who will be using this PC" and it makes me type just a name in and then a password. At no time does it let me enter an account.
    I also tried installing by skipping the enter key section but no difference. This is a creators update USB install/

Windows recognises me when it is installed, it knows my MS account. But I've never not been able to setup using my MS account.

Re step 20 on your install guide. Never seen it. I downloaded using media creation tool on my other PC and it downloaded accoring to that PC's config, if that makes any sense.

antspants, Sep 12, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Does the computer have an Internet connection during setup?

If not, you would only be able to setup a local account.

Brink, Sep 12, 2017
  7. antspants Win User
    Yes, connected, Cortana lady said "Connected, we found some updates" never offered me a coffee while I was waiting but thats OK. I understand there are probably some cutbacks at MS.

P.S>

I also did try installing with the ethernet disconnected (No Wireless)

antspants, Sep 12, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hmm, ok.

When it asks you "Who owns this PC", are you selecting "I do" instead of "My organization"?

Brink, Sep 12, 2017
  9. antspants Win User
    Neither, Brink. Just "Who will be using this PC" enter name, enter password, enter password reminder.
    When I get home, its no problem for me to reinstall, I will show you, I'll iPhone photo the screen. *Wink

P.S.

This was the same with the following attempts using latest Win 10 Media Creation Tool download made today.

Installed with KEY and internet connection
    Installed with KEY and no internet connection
    Installed skipping KEY with internet connection
    Installed skipping KEY with no internet connection

Installed on my sons PC on SSD/Gigabyte MB

antspants, Sep 12, 2017
  10. Tony K Win User
    I'll have a large coffee black to go, please. *Wink

Hi there, Sin. Did you just download and make that USB today?

Tony K, Sep 12, 2017
  11. antspants Win User
    Hippsie, its just always a pleasure to read you mate.
    Yes, today. I'm out having my eyes tested ATM. When I get back home I'll shoot a few screens *Wink

antspants, Sep 12, 2017
  12. antspants Win User
    Please excuse the horrible quality and randomness of images. No important images pertaining to the question are missing. But I did skip irrelevant common steps when taking photos, just common stuff.
    No more sign in with MS Account on install? [​IMG]

At this step, I wasn't given any other choices, this was forced. This also happened disconnected and when skipping key entry.
    I was not given the option to: "Or, even better, use an online account"

antspants, Sep 12, 2017
  13. Tony K Win User

And likewise, Sin. It's good to see you! *Smile Hope all is well with you and yours.

Sorry I can't comment here for I haven't clean installed an OS in quite awhile (using the Media Creation tool), however I did sign in with my MS account when I did. My 10 Creator Update has been on my machine for quite some time. A very stable OS I may add.

Your pics are fine. I see you're upgrading all or most of your PCs I assume? I'm curious as to why you weren't offered to sign in with your MS account as well. I'm wondering if it's a regional/country mandate by law? Who knows with these crazy micro-managing laws today?! *sarc Not a suggestion, but I would think at this point you could create an MS account and delete the local one.

I'm sure someone will look in on this. I'll be peeking in to see how this goes.

Tony K, Sep 12, 2017
  14. Try3 Win User
    antspants,

I did some clean reinstallations in July 2016 and the user account stage was the same as you have found - Who's going to use this PC.
    I don't believe that an internet connection is relevant because I have never run an installation whilst connected & the prompts certainly used to involve a default of creating an MSAccount in earlier Windows 10 versions.

I hope you do not regard what you have discovered as a problem.
    • The [password-protected] local Admin-level account you create during installation can remain on the computer as a spare in case the day-to-day user account created later on ever suffers from user profile corruption & refuses to let you log in.
    • Write the password down somewhere handy that is secure from prying eyes & secure from loss. Mine is in a thing on my keyring.
    • Just in case you have heard of Password reset disks for local user accounts, do please note that they achieve no more than writing the password down achieves.

Denis

15. Bree New Member
    I have had occasion to test a clean install. Cortana seems to have got 'up-front and personal' with the Setup of Creators Update. Your screenshots cut off Cortana's most important suggestion (for me, that is *Smile) - mute the speaker to STOP ME TALKING!!!

I always set up a local account first, so didn't notice any change. I wonder if it's a multi-purpose question? If you gave an email address when asked 'what name do you want to use?' would it set up an MS account?

Thema:

1. No more sign in with MS Account on install? - Similar Threads - more sign Account

2. Two MS accounts, one with sign in problems.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two MS accounts, one with sign in problems.: My best to all.I have had one MS account for a very long time. A couple of weeks ago my computer died almost and I bought a new computer which uses Windows 11. Due to unusual circumstances, I had to initialize it quickly and I made errors when doing so. I set up a new MS...
  3. Can't sign in to ms account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't sign in to ms account: Some hours ago I just installed windows 22h2, and after that, this been happening. This was happening in the older version 21h2 as well. I had to always reset the PC, which is bad for the health of my SSD. I'm, tired and frustrated from this buggy windows, please somebody...
  4. Can't sign in to ms account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't sign in to ms account: Some hours ago I just installed windows 22h2, and after that, this been happening. This was happening in the older version 21h2 as well. I had to always reset the PC, which is bad for the health of my SSD. I'm, tired and frustrated from this buggy windows, please somebody...
  5. Can't sign in to ms account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Signing in to MS account from Settings

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Signing in to MS account from Settings: Hello, I am able to login to my microsoft account from a browser without a problem. However, I am unable to login to my MS account from settings where my account info is kept. I had an automatic login set there and I unset it to troubleshoot something. Now I can't log...
  7. Forced MS Sign in Custom Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Forced MS Sign in Custom Install: I am installing Windows 10 Home on a friends laptop. I am installing from a USB stick using the media creation tool for 1909 18363.657 doing a custom install. When the setup gets to the page for signing in with MS I find I no longer have an option to skip entering an email...
  8. Sign in to MS account without typing PW

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Sign in to MS account without typing PW: Local account signs in without PW. Microsoft account prompts for one at sign in (but not from SLEEP). It appears from the following MS statement that typing is mandatory. Is this the case, or is there a way to auto sign in? "If you don't want to enter your password...
  9. Created MS account, joined to domain, cannot sign on as MS account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Created MS account, joined to domain, cannot sign on as MS account: I just got a Surface Pro 4. I signed into it with my Microsoft account, and later joined it to my work domain. I wanted to use Cortana with Office, so I tried starting it up. It prompted for a Microsoft account, I entered my existing one, and it says "another user on this...
  10. Cortana - Unable to sign into MS account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana - Unable to sign into MS account: Hi I've upgraded to Windows 10. I'm trying to set up Cortana (in UK) and I'm stuck with a sign in problem with MS account. I know my MS account password but the next window asks for my previous password, which I don't remember. In fact, I didn't have to log in to my...