Windows 10: No MSR partition after converting from MBR to GPT a while back?

Discus and support No MSR partition after converting from MBR to GPT a while back? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; [img] [img] Hi there! First post on these forums. I got this new laptop a few months ago and had to install Windows 10 manually as it didn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by iarejohnsmith, Nov 25, 2017.

1. No MSR partition after converting from MBR to GPT a while back?

No MSR partition after converting from MBR to GPT a while back? [​IMG]

No MSR partition after converting from MBR to GPT a while back? [​IMG]

Hi there! First post on these forums.

I got this new laptop a few months ago and had to install Windows 10 manually as it didn't come with an OS. At the time, I ran into some kind of installation issue that only let me proceed if I installed using MBR format, but I learned immediately after everything booted up that Windows 10 has the easy MBR to GPT conversion tool, so I used that to switch to GPT.

Fast forward to now, I'm trying to learn more about partitions. I know GPT is "supposed" to have an EFI System partition, an MSR partition, a main Windows partition, and probably a Recovery partition which is optional. I've attached some pics. I have a C partition that is for Windows stuff and D partition that is for files and data (just my preferred method of organization), and then TWO recovery partitions, the smaller of which is "active", and the System partition. So no MSR?

Basically I'm about to format the unused Recovery partition, and rearrange the order of the other ones. That should be fine right?

:)

iarejohnsmith, Nov 25, 2017

2. Windows 10 Installation Fails: "Windows can't be installed because this PC has an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware."

Same problem here. Tried the answer which involves creating an MSR partition. I receive the following error trying to create the MSR partition: MSR and EFO partitions are only supported on GPT disks. Convert the selected disk to GPT and try again.

Dave M._636, Nov 25, 2017
  3. Windows 10 installing Anniversary update fails (UEFI Boot layout) 0xC1900200 / 0xC1900201

Right.

Converted the disk with windows partition on it to GPT, rebooted and the update is running at this moment.

no more compatibility errors whatsoever or confusing windows-update error codes.

Strange though that this disk managed to get into MBR, but i got it factory installed like this, so no idea there.

I didnt have to create the MSR partition stated in links earlier.

For reference, my diskpart now shows up like the following:

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt

-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---

Disk 0 Online 465 GB 1024 KB *

Disk 1 Online 238 GB 50 MB *

Convert MBR to GPT Disk without data loss in Windows 10

EvertRozendaal, Nov 25, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

No MSR partition after converting from MBR to GPT a while back?

Don't worry about the MSR partition, you don't need it.

NavyLCDR, Nov 25, 2017
  5. Hey, thanks for the insanely fast reply!
    So MSR is reserved space that is not currently being used by Microsoft in any way right? Shouldn't I worry about future compatibility issues if I don't have it at all?

iarejohnsmith, Nov 26, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    You can recreate it if ever needed in future. I delete it on my tablet so I can make use of space before MSR which is no moveable even with tools like minitool.

cereberus, Nov 26, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    On a lot of computers, the MSR partition is only 16MB. Not exactly sure what MS intends to stuff into only 16MB of space. If your computer is running fine now, I wouldn't bother / worry about it.

NavyLCDR, Nov 26, 2017
  8. No MSR partition after converting from MBR to GPT a while back?

Alright, cool!
    Speaking of "moveable" though, do you mean that there's no way to "rearrange" the partitions? In Minitool, the ordering is my C partition, the 508mb Recovery partition, then the D partition, then the EFI System partition. Is there no way for me to move the System and Recovery partitions to the front?
    So what I'm trying to do/have already done is format my second Recovery partition to try to give that space to C or D, but it's currently on the other side of the System partition; what do I do?

iarejohnsmith, Nov 26, 2017
  9. topgundcp Win User
    Sorry but this is incorrect. It does not mean if Minitool can't do it then no other software can do it.
    Since I know you use Macrium and I can tell you that Macrium can do things that Minitool is unable to.

@iarejohnsmith
    Even lots of people claim that you don't need it and they don't have any clear explanation for it except Windows will work without it and I am not going to debate about this. However, every time you initialize a GPT disk, there will be an MSR partition created and MS also state that this partition is needed for partition management of a GPT disk, Now who should I believe other than the creator of Windows.

With a fresh install of Windows 10 version 1709. The partition layout is: 500MB Recovery, 100MB EFI partition, 16MB MSR and the rest is C drive.
    If you keep it in this layout, you won't have any problem for future feature update, otherwise you would see a lot of extra Recovery partitions created even though Windows is still working.

Honestly, I don't see how by deleting a 16MB partition will save any space. Surfing the internet will create cache files left and right in order of several hundred MB's in one session.

If you are interested in rebuilding the partitions so it look as if you do a fresh install then let us know.

topgundcp, Nov 26, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Some info....

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...aq_what_is_msr

...and in more understandable language...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micros...tition#Purpose

Not that I need to know, it's all MBR here *Smile

11. NavyLCDR New Member
    No computer that is missing it has crashed yet....that we know of. Maybe they self destruct?

NavyLCDR, Nov 26, 2017
  12. Superfly Win User
    Yup. I think Windows Update uses the MSR - I would leave it be as well....not sure why it's so small though - maybe just for temp boot files?

Superfly, Nov 26, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

Yeah I knew MRF could do it in effect, but you are deleting and restoring rather than moving using a partition manager moving functions.

Re. MSR needed - that is not a requirement of the minimum UEFI standard, so MS have to comply with minimum and allow Windows to work with only two partitions, EFI and OS drive.

cereberus, Nov 26, 2017
  14. cereberus Win User
    MSR is not part of minimum UEFI standard, so pc has to work even without it. I have deleted on various devices for years and things still work. It is not used now for sure.

cereberus, Nov 26, 2017
  15. Superfly Win User
    M, you guys are the experts ... just IMHO.. *Smile

Superfly, Nov 26, 2017
Thema:

1. No MSR partition after converting from MBR to GPT a while back? - Similar Threads - MSR partition converting

2. Convert MBR to GPT!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert MBR to GPT!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,Which is the best way to convert MBR to GPT without data loss and without being Windows boot logo stretched. If you don't know what I am talking about, see this thread:...
  3. Convert MBR to GPT!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert MBR to GPT!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,Which is the best way to convert MBR to GPT without data loss and without being Windows boot logo stretched. If you don't know what I am talking about, see this thread:...
  4. Convert MBR to GPT!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Convert GPT to MBR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert GPT to MBR: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to convert GPT to MBR without data loss. Should I do using AOMEI partition assistant? Is it safe? Will it loss data? Will it damage HDD? Please give answer in detail....
  6. Convert GPT to MBR

Convert GPT to MBR: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to convert GPT to MBR without data loss. Should I do using AOMEI partition assistant? Is it safe? Will it loss data? Will it damage HDD? Please give answer in detail....
  7. Convert GPT to MBR

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT

Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT: Hello everyone,I am attempting to convert windows 10 installation from MBR to GPT using the MBR2GPT.EXE tool. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gptThe documentation states:MBR2GPT.EXE converts a disk from the Master Boot Record MBR to the GUID...
  9. Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT

Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT: Hello everyone,I am attempting to convert windows 10 installation from MBR to GPT using the MBR2GPT.EXE tool. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gptThe documentation states:MBR2GPT.EXE converts a disk from the Master Boot Record MBR to the GUID...
  10. To convert System disk with 4 partitions from MBR to GPT

To convert System disk with 4 partitions from MBR to GPT: I've read the tutorial Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss and I've seen the condition "Although disks configured with MBR-style partition can have up to four primary partitions, for this process to work the disk you want to convert can't have more...