Windows 10: No Operating System Found (Please Help)

Discus and support No Operating System Found (Please Help) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ok, so a while back when the Windows 10 Upgrade had popped up on my computer, I upgraded with no problem at all. I wanted to do a factory restore in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tishaun1210, Sep 20, 2015.

1. No Operating System Found (Please Help)

Ok, so a while back when the Windows 10 Upgrade had popped up on my computer, I upgraded with no problem at all. I wanted to do a factory restore in order to clean up my laptop completely, however while updating, the power went out and the computer shut off. Logging back on, I couldn't access Windows at all. I couldn't even get to the login screen. The message that had popped up had said that no operating system was found and to press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. I have no idea what to do, and I don't have the money to shell out for a new laptop. I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T520. Can someone please help me?

:)

Tishaun1210, Sep 20, 2015

2. Windows 10 - NO operating system found....Please help!

Hi William,

We apologize for not being able to address your concern in a timely manner.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the OS to default and check if it helps:

• Press Windows + R keys from the Keyboard.
    • Type msconfig and hit Enter.
    • Click on the Boot tab.
    • Select the OS from the list and click on the Set as default.
    Please refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Using System Configuration (msconfig).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-configuration#1TC=windows-7

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Sep 20, 2015
  3. Salty86 Win User
    Windows 10 - NO operating system found....Please help!

I just upgraded from windows 7 to Win 10, it was working great. I wanted to do a clean install so made sure it said Windows 10 was activated and then went to Reset PC

-I chose the method that removes all files and apps

-i selected the method that is "if you intend to keep the PC" not the one that said is for those looking to sell their computer and takes a few hours

- it went through the process and then said " there was a problem resetting your machine, please restart"

- i clicked restart and the regular ASUS logo popped up but then immediately after a notice saying "No Operating system found"

Please help.

Salty86, Sep 20, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

No Operating System Found (Please Help)

From an operating computer, download and install Macrium Reflect Free. Make a Macrium Reflect Rescue disk (either CD, DVD or Flash drive). Then boot the non-operating computer from that. Under the other tasks menu item will be a utility to fix windows boot problems. Try running that.

Macrium Reflect Free

If that doesn't get things going, you will have to go back and re-install the original operating system, Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 and then upgrade again - using Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 this time.

Windows 10

NavyLCDR, Sep 20, 2015
  5. It sounds like something with the boot loader got messed up when the power went out. That is what would cause it to say that there is no operating system. You can try the Macrium Reflect that was mentioned before, always worth a shot. However I dont see it working as you said it happened during the update processes. There might be a number of files missing/corrupted that can cause this issue as well. This issue will NOT cause you to have to buy a new laptop, but just simply reinstall Windows 10 from scratch which will be a bit irritating, but not a big deal. If the first option mentioned above doesnt work, go with the second.

ArazelEternal, Sep 20, 2015
  6. Actually, from the OP's description, it reads like they did not get far enough into Win10 to use and activate it -- which, if that is true, IS a big deal -- because if they clean-install it WITHOUT it already being activated, it will NEVER activate.

Mark Phelps, Sep 20, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I must disagree:

The "upgraded with no problem at all" would indicate that a complete upgrade was completed, followed by "I wanted to do a factory restore" indicates the OP wanted to return to a clean install. So, basically, doing a clean install with the Windows 10 installation media should be all that would be required, if a simple fix of the boot files doesn't work.

NavyLCDR, Sep 20, 2015
  8. bbinnard Win User

I had this same problem 2 days ago. I think it was caused by the program that allows you to use the old Windows Sidebar in Win10, bit I'm not positive about this.

At any rate, I fixed the problem by booting my WIn10 install disk and going to the "Repair Windows" function which is in small text at the bottom of the main screen.

This takes you to a page with several options. I used "Repair problems that prevent Windows from booting" (or something similarly worded.) I had to do this twice, after which my system returned to normal.

My guess is something wiped out the MBR (Master Boot Record) on my boot drive and the above fix corrected that.

bbinnard, Sep 20, 2015
  9. XweAponX Win User
    I've been using that since the day I installed Windows 10, it's never caused that kind of issue. I don't even think the installer requires a reboot after it is done, it just turns on and then you can start adding Gadgets. You remember what slse you were doing around that time? KB3081444 or other PC-bricking update?

XweAponX, Sep 20, 2015
  10. bbinnard Win User
    Well, as I recall I was in the process of creating new Launcher gadgets as a replacement for Stardock's ObjectDock add-on which works well but is very slow to load. If I remember correctly I had pretty much finished all the necessary Launcher gadgets and had tested most of them with the Sidebar on the right side of my monitor. I still had ObjectDock on the left side, so I ended that and moved the Sidebar to the left side.

It seemed to be OK so I decided to reboot just to make sure everything was functioning properly. When my system rebooted about half of the Launcher gadgets were gone, and the 2 (or maybe it was 3) that remained were all the same. Instead of fussing with them I rebooted again and that's when I got the "No boot disk" message.

I tried several things - verifying that my BIOS did see the boot drive, ensuring the boot drive was #1 on the list, etc. But nothing worked. That's when I did the Windows install disk trick and that got my system back ok.

My boot disk is a Samsung 850 Pro SSD so I am not having any mechanical problems. Maybe it was just a weird coincidence, but the evidence seems fairly clear to me.

bbinnard, Sep 20, 2015
  11. XweAponX Win User
    So you used Stardock's gadget replacement? I'm not sure where I got mine but I don't think it was made by stardock.

Yeah the one I am using said something like gadgetsrevived.com, it has never given me any problems.

XweAponX, Sep 21, 2015
  12. bbinnard Win User

bbinnard, Sep 21, 2015
  13. No Operating System Found (Please Help)

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm trying Macrium right now.

Tishaun1210, Sep 21, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    If that doesn't work, you can clean install Windows 10 from installation media created on another computer with the Media Creation Tool. Just make sure it is the exact same version of Windows 10 (Pro, Home, N, Single Language) that you had after the upgrade.

NavyLCDR, Sep 21, 2015
  15. So... Macrium didn't work... and my flash drive isn't big enough to put Windows 10 on it, and I don't have any blank DVDs, so I'm screwed until I can get those. I'm typing this from a (really) slow Dell Latitude D810 with Windows XP. I would factory restore this but I'm not sure how...

Tishaun1210, Sep 22, 2015
Thema:

1. No Operating System Found (Please Help) - Similar Threads - Operating System Found

2. No operating system found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No operating system found: Found old "floppy disks", maybe 20yrs old. Bought disc reader. Scanned a couple with Defender. One disk I didn't scan had "severe" malware warnings flag up. This was isolated and 2 other infected docs. Performed a full scan 5hrs!, my desktop is from 2010 running fully updated...
  3. An operating system was not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An operating system was not found: Hello Yesterday I turned on my computer , turned it off , tried to boot from an external hard drive with windows 7 installed I was gonna check if it works and turned out it was crashingI was gonna format it using diskpart ,when again turned on my computer with the external...
  4. Operating System not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Operating System not found: Hello everyone,So I recently got a new computerno cd slots installed with windows 8.1 ProI know kind of backwards.Well the other day I noticed that one of my drive partitions was not there like I could not see it. The drive that I have is a 128gb SSD with two partitions and I...
  5. No operating system found?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No operating system found?: PC worked fine 5 hours ago. Go to turn it in, and I get the error “No operating system found, ctrl + alt + del to restart” Any solutions? submitted by /u/Croohk [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mcc0e4/no_operating_system_found/
  6. No operating system found

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No operating system found: I installed Ubuntu on a USB SSD some time ago, and then to make use of the SSD I later on formatted it, and put it directly in my system. At the time I didn't know that it wasn't the right way of doing it, and so my PC entered grub rescue mode every time the SSD was detected....
  7. Operating system not found

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Operating system not found: I need to do a clean install of Windows. No usb and no cd is big enough so i used diskpart and fallowed all the setps but now my pc csnt find the os. Plz plz help AND DO NOT ASK ME TO INSERT OR DO A CLEAN INSTALL. I CAN'T ACCESS IT...
  8. OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND: I purchased a new Acer laptop from the microsoft store a couple years ago. a virus got into my system and totally decimated my system. Now when i try to use my unit,i get a "operating system not found" message. What steps do i need to take to get this thing working again?...
  9. No operating system found

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No operating system found: While trying to add unallocated space to a F partition on a dual boot Win10 and win7 HP Probook I inadvertantly clicked activate partition during the move the Unallocated to the right of the partition I wanted to add it to and was instructed to reboot to complete the move....
  10. Operating system not found

in Windows 10 Support
    Operating system not found: I have Sony Vaio I7, 8Gb memory. I do not have OS backup disk. I upgraded from 8 to 8.1 and then to 10. It has been running great. No problems. Use Kaspersky Internet Security. I shut down computer normally this morning. I powered back on this evening and there was a frown...