Windows 10: No option to disable Fast Startup

Discus and support No option to disable Fast Startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; All of the guides I have seen say that to disable Fast Startup you should: - Settings | System | Power & Sleep - Additional Power Settings - Choose... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Floob, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Floob Win User

No option to disable Fast Startup

All of the guides I have seen say that to disable Fast Startup you should:
    - Settings | System | Power & Sleep
    - Additional Power Settings
    - Choose what the power buttons do

Then under "Shut down settings" there should be a tick box - but I dont have it.

Screenshot:

No option to disable Fast Startup [​IMG]

Can you see why it might not be showing for me?

:)

Floob, Jun 18, 2016

2. Windows Not Shutting Down.

Hi Deepak

I disabled the fast startup and ran the troubleshooter. The troubleshooter found no issues and no changes made. I selected Shut Down from the power option and it worked. I re-enabled the fast startup and the Shut Down stopped working again. I disabled it
    and at least I can now shut the system cleanly but lose the fast startup option.

Thanks for the assistance.

Fat Freddies Cat, Jun 18, 2016
  3. DarWun Win User
    Windows 10 dwm.exe errors

Sorry about that. Yes, I meant "Fast Startup" in the Windows Power Options. I have also disabled hibernation using "powercfg /h -off" from an administrative command prompt. I'm pointing this out because I'm not sure if disabling "Fast Startup" alone
    is what fixes issue, or if its a combination of disabling "Fast Startup" and hibernation.

DarWun, Jun 18, 2016
  4. No option to disable Fast Startup

Have you disabled hibernation?

cyberrufus, Jun 18, 2016
  5. My guess is your hardware doesn't support hybrid sleep/fast startup. It's already disabled.

alphanumeric, Jun 18, 2016
  6. Floob Win User
    I cant see a hibernate option here:

I didnt think my hardware was that old - is it common for motherboards not to support hibernate?

I cant see an option in the BIOS. I have disabled fast boot in the BIOS, but that doesnt seem to have changed anything.

Floob, Jun 19, 2016
  7. Floob Win User
    I cant see the hibernate option here:

I didnt think my hardware was that old - is it common for hibernate not to be supported?
    I turned off Fast Boot in the BIOS but this doesnt seem to have made much difference.

Floob, Jun 19, 2016
  8. essenbe Win User

@Floob Did you click this?

essenbe, Jun 19, 2016
  9. dencal Win User
    Floob.....clicking on highlighted attachment will bring up a menu giving you the choice to run fast startup or not

dencal, Jun 19, 2016
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    It also looks like he has Hibernation off. Both the power button screen and power plan options do not show any hibernation options. Like the cmd "powercfg -h off" was run. If he wants hibernation but not fast startup, run cmd "powercfg -h on" then follow instructions above. Hibernation off is best choice, plus he gets back 6-7GB space.

Can't tell from the specs, but if he has a SSD, definitely Hibernation/Fast startup OFF!

f14tomcat, Jun 19, 2016
  11. If he runs powercfg -a from a prompt is should tell him what's going on with both hibernation and fast startup.

cyberrufus, Jun 19, 2016
  12. essenbe Win User
    If he clicks the 'Change Settings that are currently unavailable' he will have Hibernation and Fast Startup options.

[youtube]hmDmaKLbi4Y[/youtube]

essenbe, Jun 19, 2016
  13. RWOne Win User

You guys that want the OP to hit the "Change Settings that are currently unavailable", you're missing the OP's point, because the OP does not have the fast start up option listed underneath, and it will be shown before clicking on the change settings item.

He doesn't have the setting to change, hence what a few other posters like F14 were saying.
    hibernation is off for one

RWOne, Jun 19, 2016
  14. If I run powercfg -h on from a command prompt I see the hybrid sleep option. If I run powercfg -h off, I see what you posted above. I never see them in the menu you posted in your first post.

alphanumeric, Jun 19, 2016
  15. I don't have it on my laptops either, and the reason being is that I have hibernate disabled. I think some of you are missing a step.

If the option is there, but grayed-out, then you can click the link to show the options and change them.

If the option isn't visible, then hibernate is disabled.

DeaconFrost, Jun 19, 2016
Thema:

1. No option to disable Fast Startup - Similar Threads - option disable Fast

2. Disabled Fast Startup causes Blue Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabled Fast Startup causes Blue Screen: To whom it may concern,For the past weeks, I have been getting a random Blue Screen or my Laptop would randomly just get stuck on Black Screen while opening it. I tried so many solutions, I updated pretty much all the important drivers but I still happen to get a Blue Screen....
  3. Disabled Fast Startup causes Blue Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabled Fast Startup causes Blue Screen: To whom it may concern,For the past weeks, I have been getting a random Blue Screen or my Laptop would randomly just get stuck on Black Screen while opening it. I tried so many solutions, I updated pretty much all the important drivers but I still happen to get a Blue Screen....
  4. Disabling Fast Startup on AVD

Disabling Fast Startup on AVD: Afternoon all,I am having some issues with some assistive technology and the developer of the assistive tech has suggested that turning off Fast Startup may resolve the issue. I am connecting to a Windows 11 Azure Virtual Desktop via the Microsoft Remote app and the IT team...
  5. Disabling Fast Startup on AVD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabling Fast Startup on AVD: Afternoon all,I am having some issues with some assistive technology and the developer of the assistive tech has suggested that turning off Fast Startup may resolve the issue. I am connecting to a Windows 11 Azure Virtual Desktop via the Microsoft Remote app and the IT team...
  6. Fast startup option is missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fast startup option is missing: Hello the option is missingI assume that's because i turned off hibernate via cmd using command powercfg /hibernate offDoes that mean fast startup is on or off?...
  7. Fast startup option is missing

Fast startup option is missing: Hello the option is missingI assume that's because i turned off hibernate via cmd using command powercfg /hibernate offDoes that mean fast startup is on or off?...
  8. Disabling 'Fast Startup' not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling 'Fast Startup' not working: I am having an issue with the Nvidia GeForce Experience driver. My brother and I both use the PC for gaming and we use separate Windows User accounts (Mine is admin, his is regular). The problem we have is when one of use uses the PC before the other the GeForce Experience in...
  9. Fast startup can not be disabled

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast startup can not be disabled: Since the latest windows update (This evening): Even though Fast startup is NOT selected. The computer still starts up and basically logs in in the background (the apps in the startup folder are already running) and the username is displayed even though dontdisplaylastlogon...
  10. Fast Startup in W10. Enable or disable?

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast Startup in W10. Enable or disable?: Hi all - Do you think that Fast Startup should be enabled in W10? Yes or no? Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials Please explain your reasoning. Thanks! *Smile 111734