Windows 10: No option to disable required password waking from sleep in 1607

Discus and support No option to disable required password waking from sleep in 1607 in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My Toshiba updated to 1607 the other day and I found it wasn't sleeping with the timeout I have set in power options. So I created a new power plan and... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ohante, Sep 20, 2016.

1. ohante Win User

No option to disable required password waking from sleep in 1607

My Toshiba updated to 1607 the other day and I found it wasn't sleeping with the timeout I have set in power options. So I created a new power plan and set the sleep timeout again. When I went to wake the system I found I'd forgotten to disable the option to require a password on wake up. But the option in the options for all my power plans is gone now.

I've always had the system settings configured not to require a password to sign in to windows when it boots up. And that's still working.

Can anyone point me to where this setting may have been moved?
    Thanks

:)

ohante, Sep 20, 2016

2. How to avoid password query on wakeup

@AT

I have the same problem and the question is what happened to the option to disable requiring a password when "waking from sleep".

RobertGerade, Sep 20, 2016
  3. Csaba_ Win User
    My laptop with Windows 10 doesn't require password whenever it comes back from sleep even though it has been set as a requirement.

Original Title - Password

My laptop with Windows 10 doesn't require password whenever it comes back from sleep even though it has been set as a requirement.

• Control Panel/Power options/Require a password when the computer wakes/Change settings that are currently unavailable/Require a password/Save changes
    • Settings/Accounts/Sign-in option/ Require sign in/When PC wakes up from sleep
    I've tried these many times with a restart after set up but still doesn't work.

Is there a solution?

Csaba_, Sep 20, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

Settings►Accounts►Sign-in options►Require sign-in

Edwin, Sep 20, 2016
  5. ohante Win User
    As I wrote above, I've always had that set to never. That deals with requiring a password when you 1st boot into Windows. The option I need is the one that used to be in my power plans when waking from sleep.

ohante, Sep 20, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    That is it.

No option to disable required password waking from sleep in 1607 [​IMG]

Edwin, Sep 20, 2016
  7. ohante Win User
    As I said, that's exactly what I have always had set to bypass entering a password when booting into Windsows.

Here's a screenshot of what I've got:

No option to disable required password waking from sleep in 1607 [​IMG]

My problem is not when booting into windows, it's when I recover from sleep. That was always a setting in the power plan. Look in there on a system updated to 1607, and tell me if you find it.

ohante, Sep 20, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Sep 20, 2016
  9. ohante Win User
    Ah.... so maybe I have to set it to "When PC wakes up from sleep", reboot, and then change it back to "Never" to get the new power plan I made to recognize the setting. Shades of what I used to do in the early days of XP.

ohante, Sep 20, 2016
  10. ohante Win User
    Well it's not working. I can't get my new power plan to wake from sleep without having to enter my password. And the problem of the system not going into sleep on my existing plans that worked before 1607 is still a problem.

I just toggled the setting as you suggested Brink, and tested waking from sleep. But that didn't work. So I set it to "When PC wakes up from sleep" and then rebooted. I changed it back to 'Never", but both problems still exist. I rebooted again after setting it back to "Never" with no success.

ohante, Sep 20, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Have you disabled UAC, or set UAC settings to "Never notify" instead of the default setting by chance?

I've had one person report back that disabling UAC caused Windows to always require a password on wakeup even when it was set to "Never"..

Brink, Sep 20, 2016
  12. ohante Win User
    As a matter of fact, yes. While looking for that setting I first ended up back at 'Settings►Accounts►Sign-in options►Require sign-in" and found the last time I set it to 'Never' hadn't stuck. It was at "When PC wakes up from sleep" again.

Set it to 'Never' again, and when I found my UAC settings I changed it back to default and rebooted. After reboot I was able to sleep, and come out of sleep without the password prompt. So I set 'Sign-in options' back to 'Never', UAC to 'Never notify' and rebooted.

The password issue was solved, but then I found the power plan I'd made earlier and set to turn the screen off in 1 second and sleep in 3 seconds doesn't put the system to sleep anymore. So I deleted it and created a new one with the same settings. It won't go to sleep either.

This happened all the time back in Windows XP days with power settings. But up to now I thought W10 had put those old problems to rest. *Huh

Any ideas what may be going on here? These power problems only popped up after the update to 1607

ohante, Sep 20, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Does it work again if you go back to the power plan it worked in before making this last change?

Brink, Sep 20, 2016
  14. ohante Win User
    I found the cuprit Brink. It was a wallpaper app that I had set to cycle every 30 seconds. Shutting that down, W10 sleep works brilliantly. Apologies for thinking I was having the issue I had with XP, which was a brilliant OS overall in its day. Thanks for you input on this *Smile

ohante, Sep 20, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news. Thank you for posting back with your findings. *Party

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. No option to disable required password waking from sleep in 1607 - Similar Threads - option disable required

2. Windows 10 requires a password on wake up even though that option is DISABLED

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 requires a password on wake up even though that option is DISABLED: So, i have this problem regarding windows 10 asking for my password on wake up, even though that options is DISABLED. And in my search for a fix i saw the following thread:...
  3. password required after waking

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    password required after waking: Hi there, My laptop now requires a password after waking from sleep mode, and it won't let me change this, despite me being the admin. I realize this is a security "feature", but it's unwanted, how can I remove this? Thanks for your help!!...
  4. Sign-in options: Require sign-in "When PC wakes up from sleep" missing

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Sign-in options: Require sign-in "When PC wakes up from sleep" missing: Hello, I recently migrated from Windows 7 and am trying to mimic the experience I had in regards to sleep/wake. The way I have my power options set up is for the display to turn off after 10 minutes, and for it never to sleep on its own. If I want it to sleep, I'll press...
  5. Require PIN when waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Require PIN when waking from sleep: Hi, So I've configured my security settings to always require PIN when waking from sleep. Every morning i click my keyboard or mouse to wake from sleep and it opens right up, no request to enter PIN. Anyone else come across this or figure out a fix? Thanks! submitted by...
  6. PC Sleep options password required?

PC Sleep options password required?: Can you guys do a favor for me and check in Settings/Accounts/Sign-in Options and see if you have the same red warning text that policies are set to require a password when PC wakes from Sleep and the options are grayed-out? Because in my Group Policy settings I have all...
  7. PC Sleep options password required?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PC Sleep options password required?: Can you guys do a favor for me and check in Settings/Accounts/Sign-in Options and see if you have the same red warning text that policies are set to require a password when PC wakes from Sleep and the options are grayed-out? Because in my Group Policy settings I have all...
  8. disable auto lock on waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    disable auto lock on waking from sleep: disable auto lock on waking from sleep https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-auto-lock-on-waking-from-sleep/8ca16e36-cc92-4409-bbf8-62f786b3c262
  9. No ability to require a password when waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    No ability to require a password when waking from sleep: I'm hoping someone else has found a resolution to a persistent problem. I have no option available anywhere to require/not require a password when waking from sleep. I have a Windows 10 Home, 64 bit computer (in fact several of them) that is kept up to date with every Windows...
  10. Disable Lockscreen After Waking From Sleep

Disable Lockscreen After Waking From Sleep: I'm trying to disable lockscreen after waking from sleep. And I can't find such option. Take a look at the screenshot. [img] I'm on Windows 10 Enterprise, I'm system administrator and the only Group Policy settings I changed are this: [img] Please, help me to solve...