Windows 10: No Option To Eject USB Flash Drive

Discus and support No Option To Eject USB Flash Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; New Windows 10 Pro install. When I click on the USB icon to eject a flash drive the flash drive shows up, but the option to eject USB flash memory is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by idahosurge, Dec 9, 2017.

1. No Option To Eject USB Flash Drive

New Windows 10 Pro install. When I click on the USB icon to eject a flash drive the flash drive shows up, but the option to eject USB flash memory is missing.

Windows 10 Issue

No Option To Eject USB Flash Drive [​IMG]

How it should look, but this is from a Win 7 machine.

No Option To Eject USB Flash Drive [​IMG]

:)

idahosurge, Dec 9, 2017

2. Windows 10 has trouble ejecting USB hard drives & flash drives - how to fix?

Yes because it ejects or stops read/write from all media during a shutdown or restart.

Logging Out might eject a working USB drive. But Windows can read and write to devices at the Login Screen, as the Windows kernel has remained loaded. Why not just use the Flash Icon to eject media? But it depends on what is reading and writing to the device,
    Example: USB flash drive.

KenBouchard, Dec 9, 2017
  3. No way to eject USB flash drive / hot swap...

I recently noticed a new problem with my Windows 10 x64: the Safely Remove Hardware icon is missing from the system tray. It always used to be there.

In the "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" settings, I have "Windows Explorer, Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" switched to on. Makes no difference. I followed instructions to run "RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll", which
    does open the Safely Remove Hardware window, but the only hardware devices listed are two Asmedia 106x SATA Controllers. No USB flash drive [even though it is plugged in and not safely ejected]... I don't think this should be the case.

So apparently there is now no safe way for me to remove a USB flash drive, without shutting down or restarting the computer. Not very convenient. I also have an external USB 3.0 hard drive I use for backups that I like to be able to switch off. No longer
    possible to safely turn off.

I also have hot swap bays in my machine, and a hot swappable hard drive. I have been using a free program called "HotSwap!" to eject USB devices as well as hot swap the hard drive occasionally. That no longer works either. The icon is in the system tray
    as always, but now every time I request a hot swap, I receive a message stating, "The device XYZ cannot be uninstalled right now because the device requested a system restart." Never used to say that. Now always says that whether for an external USB device
    or the hot swappable hard drive.

I have not changed my USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller and Root Hub drivers. Those are the appropriate ASMedia drivers, not the generic Microsoft drivers. I have hot swap enabled in the BIOS. None of this has changed... Yet now, I cannot safely remove
    anything.

I think I have somehow developed a corrupt driver installation, even though I haven't seen any warnings or error messages prior to all of this. And I don't see any problems in Device Manager now. How can identify the driver that is causing a
    problem, and then rectify it?

Is there anything else I can do to restore the "safely remove" and "hot swap" functionality? I don't understand what has changed to make none of this work...

Thanks for any info / advice!

Oxonsi_921, Dec 9, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

No Option To Eject USB Flash Drive

All USBs or just this one?

It may just be that the wrong driver was loaded when you first used this USB. Try opening Device Manager, find the USB in 'Disk Drives', right-click on it then 'Uninstall device' (you may need to select 'View > Show hidden devices' if the USB isn't currently connected).

5. You are probably right about the wrong driver installed or it may have been no driver installed. It was both with USB 3 and USB 2 sticks.

It was on a new PC I just built yesterday and installed Windows this morning. This afternoon after I ran update numerous times until Windows downloaded all available updates and the problem was gone the next time I plugged a USB stick in and went to eject it.

idahosurge, Dec 10, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    And don't forget in File Explorer is the Eject on the right-click menu on the drive, same for CD or DVD discs.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

No Option To Eject USB Flash Drive

1. No Option To Eject USB Flash Drive - Similar Threads - Option Eject USB

2. No Right Click Eject menu For USB Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No Right Click Eject menu For USB Flash Drives: I was troubleshooting a product issue and was advised by their customer support to update my usb drivers with the free version of "Driver Hub". After installing the new drivers the usb ports would not work properly so I reverted back to the old drivers. The problem now is the...
  3. No Right Click Eject menu For USB Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Support
    No Right Click Eject menu For USB Flash Drives: I was troubleshooting a product issue and was advised by their customer support to update my usb drivers with the free version of "Driver Hub". After installing the new drivers the usb ports would not work properly so I reverted back to the old drivers. The problem now is the...
  4. Ejecting Flash Drive Issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ejecting Flash Drive Issue: Hi!Why is it every time I insert a flash drive then ejecting it, It's always saying that the drive is in use even though I don't have any running applications in the background? I tried formatting the drive not quick, inserting the drive, and eject it after a few seconds but...
  5. Ejecting Flash Drive Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ejecting Flash Drive Issue: Hi!Why is it every time I insert a flash drive then ejecting it, It's always saying that the drive is in use even though I don't have any running applications in the background? I tried formatting the drive not quick, inserting the drive, and eject it after a few seconds but...
  6. ejecting flash drives

ejecting flash drives: I have been having this issue. I get the issue fixed and it comes back. I do not like to just pull a flash drive out. It will damage them and they cost too much.It seems to be an issue in Windows 10 2004 but IDK for sure. When I right click the icon down by the clock the USB...
  7. Ejecting usb drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ejecting usb drive: After updating to Windows 10 version 2004, when trying to eject an external usb drive, I continuously receive the error message that the drive is in use and to wait and try again later. No matter how long I wait, this message recurs when nothing I can see is using the drive....
  8. Eject USB not an option

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Eject USB not an option: [ATTACH] When I try to eject my USB, it isn't an option. There are three dots instead. I've tried plugging in the USB to a different computer and it works there, so I think it is a problem with my device (x1c7). Any help is appreciated!!...
  9. Ejecting Hard Drives and Flash Drives .....

Ejecting Hard Drives and Flash Drives .....: Is it safe to keep hard drives and flash drives connected all the time (Windows 10), even when shutting down everyday ... ? Or should I use the Eject feature to be safe ... ? 128834
  10. How to open or eject a USB flash drive that's not recognized

How to open or eject a USB flash drive that's not recognized: So I used to see a small arrow pointing upward on the task bar which I could click on to use a USB memory stick, but it's not there now + I did not see any notification window pop open that I put it in. I have the USB stick in my pc now + have not been able to find how to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 no eject option usb

2. windows 10 no eject option

3. no way to eject USB

4. no option to eject usb flash drive,
  5. no option to eject drice windows 10,
  6. no eject on flash drive,
  7. wireless mouse no icon safely eject usb windows 10