Windows 10: No pb to mount partition in linux e/t Fast Startup is enabled in W10

Discus and support No pb to mount partition in linux e/t Fast Startup is enabled in W10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hi.I just found out that Fast Startup feature is still enabled in my version of Windows 10 (currently 1703).And I was able to mount the C: NTFS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by THNU85DC3sd, Sep 24, 2017.

1. No pb to mount partition in linux e/t Fast Startup is enabled in W10

hi.I just found out that Fast Startup feature is still enabled in my version of Windows 10 (currently 1703).And I was able to mount the C: NTFS partition in linux read/write without problem (ntfs-3g is supposed to warn you and prevent you from mounting it RW if fast startup is used).I did not experience any sort of corruption.So it seems to me as if Fast Startup is not used by Windows even though it is enabled.How can I check that ?And if so why would Windows does not use that feature ? because C: is on a SSD ?I have checked in the registry that hibernation is enabled ( HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\HibernateEnabled is set to 1) and hiberfil.sys is present

:)

THNU85DC3sd, Sep 24, 2017

2. Keep windows 10 from holding on to a partition on shut down.

So I have 3 main partitions. One windows 10 partition, one ntfs partition, and one linux partition. What is happening is since I have fast startup enabled, ubuntu can't mount the windows partition which is fine. However, it also says is can't mount my
    documents partition because I have fast start enabled, or windows is in hibernate. Is there anything I can do without disabling fast startup? Like maybe change my documents partition to a different filesystem type that won't be ntfs. Or is there a way to make
    windows unmount it on shutdown? I just need to be able to access my documents partition in my linux partition, not my windows partition.

DragonProgrammer, Sep 24, 2017
  3. it is possible to make Windows unmount all partitions/drives at shut down ?

no,what i mean is to have a script for windows that in the moment i click shut down to just unmount the drives or partitions that are not the 1 i have windows on,i did found something like that in internet,but those r just to use another shut down or restart
    that is not the original in windows,and i mean something else that i don't have to bother with the fast startup,i want the fast startup to remain intact,but not with power over my other drives or partitions,to be exactly like linux does,i just ckick on the
    drive or partition i want and that gets automaticaly mounted and i just unmount it manually or let linux do that itself when it shuts down or restart,why can't windows do the same ? why it has to be all mounted even when it is the pc off?,the fast loading
    is about the keep mounted the partition or drive is installed on,but why with all the others on my pc ?

ApolzanMarius, Sep 24, 2017
  4. No pb to mount partition in linux e/t Fast Startup is enabled in W10

Hi,
    I would usually use command prompt as admin and this string to disable fast start
    If successful fast start will not show up in win-10 normal settings as an option to use.
    Code: powercfg -h off[/quote] I also disable fast start in bios for good measure seeing win-10 has been known to revert personal preferences after large build updates.

ThrashZone, Sep 24, 2017
  5. Thanks for sharing but that was an info I already got.
    And by the way, that did not answer my questions.

How could I edit my post to make it more legible ?

THNU85DC3sd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

No pb to mount partition in linux e/t Fast Startup is enabled in W10

1. No pb to mount partition in linux e/t Fast Startup is enabled in W10 - Similar Threads - mount partition linux

2. Windows Updates may fail if Fast Startup is enabled

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Updates may fail if Fast Startup is enabled: [ATTACH]Fast Startup on Windows 10, as the name suggests, helps you boot your computer back on quickly after you have restarted it. An attribute of the Fast Startup feature is that it could potentially prevent certain updates from installing on your Windows 10 system. In this...
  3. Fast Startup not working even when its enabled

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast Startup not working even when its enabled: I have enabled fast startup in the control panel but still it does not work. A few days ago, it was working correctly and I had no problem. But nowadays, it does not work even when I have enabled it. I tried disabling restarting and enabling restarting, but nothing worked....
  4. Workarounds for mounting windows partition linux

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Workarounds for mounting windows partition linux: Hi there! I've recently lost access to windows because of the 0xc0000098 error, also unable to fix bcd because it isnt picking up an operating system with an external windows install usb (i cant access windows recovery from my windows hdd itself), then I found myself trying...
  5. BSOD at shutdown with fast startup feature enabled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD at shutdown with fast startup feature enabled: I have an Intel NUC which is having BSOD only at shutdown, with Windows 10. I have narrowed it down to the fast startup feature. If disable it shutdows properly, without BSOD. If it is enabled, it display BSOD just before shutdown. I have latest BIOS and latest drivers. Can...
  6. EFI partition mounting on startup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFI partition mounting on startup: So one time I decided to mount the EFI partition for testing purposes. Alright. Next day I start up my PC and the partition is still there. That's weird. I successfully removed the drive letter with diskpart. So I made a startup script to do that but that isn't a permanent...
  7. Can't Enable Fast Startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Enable Fast Startup: Hi, guys. I can't see a way to enable fast startup in my H P laptop running W10 Home. I go to the power settings section (following instructions from the Internet). and there is no check box to enable fast startup. Any ideas? Thanks/ 122620
  8. Fast Startup in W10. Enable or disable?

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast Startup in W10. Enable or disable?: Hi all - Do you think that Fast Startup should be enabled in W10? Yes or no? Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials Please explain your reasoning. Thanks! *Smile 111734
  9. Enable NumLock on Fast-Startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enable NumLock on Fast-Startup: Hello all, The issue I am currently having is enabling NumLock before the logon, I have modified the corresponding registry key (Find attached my screenshot below) and that works perfectly fine when restarting my PC, however I have fast-startup (Screenshot also below)...
  10. Freeze/BSOD after sleep and with fast startup enabled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Freeze/BSOD after sleep and with fast startup enabled: Hey there! I have this strange problem since I have installed 2x8GB DDR3 memory on my Desktop computer. Sometimes when I start the computer with Fast Startup enabled I have BSOD with ... well you will see in the dmp files - DRIVER IRQ LESS OR EQUAL, NTSOKRNL or...