Windows 10: No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler

Discus and support No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I'm trying to disable a task in Task Scheduler, FCU 1709 as I always did with all previous versions of W 10 without problems. Now, when I go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vaio 7, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Vaio 7 Win User

No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler

Hello,

I'm trying to disable a task in Task Scheduler, FCU 1709 as I always did with all previous versions of W 10 without problems.
    Now, when I go to Task Scheduler/Microsoft/Windows/Update Orchestrator/Scheduled Scan and trying to disable that task, I'm getting the message:

"The user account you are operating under does not have permission to disable this task" .

I'm using an administrator account.
    I found a similar thread but it does not work: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-c9b1687ae797

Please let me know how to solve this problem, because this task makes run Windows Update at boot, and when I do not use, for a while, one of my W 10 systems (W 10 Home), I do not want Windows to install, at boot, Windows updates before I run wushowhide utility and hide unwanted updates.
    I hope this change/issue, which first appeared with FCU version 1709, is not hardcoded in order to prevent this task from being disabled.
    Thank you.

:)

Vaio 7, Nov 22, 2017

2. No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler

I just did sign up BS just to get on here and say thanks man, this turn on computer crap has been terribly annoying and not being able to disable UpdateOrchestrator on my own PC is beyond infuriating. But your little instruction list there got the job
    done. Thank you sir!

kevin.curtis, Nov 22, 2017
  3. jas2018 Win User

It may be too late for you, but hopefully not for someone else. Change the command to:

psexec.exe -i -s %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s taskschd.msc

I guess the file type association does not work successfully with the original, hence the explicit inclusion of the exe.

jas2018, Nov 22, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

I get the same message in build 17046.

If you haven't already, you might enable the built-in Administrator account, sign in to that account, and see if it may be able to disable the task.

Brink, Nov 22, 2017
  5. Vaio 7 Win User
    Hi,

Already tried, no joy!!!*Sad
    I also tried regedit and gave for some related keys full control to Administrators, no luck at all!!
    This is the executable which this task enables.

No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler [​IMG]

Vaio 7, Nov 22, 2017
  6. This has been blocked since 1709. MS does not want people disabling WU.

You can disable auto-checking for updates, like this:
    Code: takeown /f "%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe" /a icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe" /remove "Administrators" "Authenticated Users" "Users" "System"[/quote] .

TairikuOkami, Nov 22, 2017
  7. Vaio 7 Win User
    .[/quote] Thank you for your reply,
    Am I supposed to run those 2 lines, from an elevated cmd, one by one?
    Also, after running this, will I be able to disable Task Scheduler/Microsoft/Windows/Update Orchestrator/Scheduled Scan task in Task Scheduler?

Cheers,

Vaio 7, Nov 23, 2017
  8. topgundcp Win User

Should not change ownership or modify system file. Just download ExecTI
    run as shown below, should be able to disable:

No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler [​IMG]

topgundcp, Nov 23, 2017
  9. Vaio 7 Win User
    Sorry for the late reply, been very busy, I tried both methods, first method didn't work, task cannot be disabled and running at boot.
    I also tried ExecTI, BUT there is a problem, I opened Task Scheduler with ExecTI, the Scheduled Scan task could be disabled but with side-effects, it's impossible to re-enable that task, W 10 throws error messages and also if I open Task Scheduler with normal Admin account it also shows error messages.
    I tried another "tweak" that seems to work fine.
    I opened regedit.exe and located: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Update Orchestrator\Scheduled Scan and backed up that key, then deleted and reboot.
    After reboot ran Dism Online it came back clean, then sfc /verifyonly also came back clean.
    Event Viewer does not produce any errors, manual Windows Update scan works fine and the Scheduled Scan task does not run at boot.
    The deletion of the registry key is totally reversible, if I restore the key, Scheduled Scan task appears back again in Task Scheduler with default settings and running ok.
    Will test a few days more and report back.
    So far, Event Viewer is error free, I would like however, any comments from the Gurus here.
    Thank you.

Vaio 7, Nov 28, 2017
  10. Permissions of SYSTEM (neither Admin nor TrustedInstaller) are probably needed.
    - download & unzip pstools from sysinternals
    - run psexec -i -d -s mmc taskschd.msc
    - enjoy

muchomurka, Nov 29, 2017
  11. No. That Update Orchestrator service is svchost.exe -k netsvcs.

The Update Orchestrator in Task Scheduler is usoclient.exe.

Anyhow, the same scheduled task reported by Vaio 7 up there in #1 is also giving me fits.

The two Update Orchestrator items Schedule Scan and Schedule Retry Scan since the 1709 upgrade have been bringing my Win10 Home system out of hibernation (discovered via powercfg /waketimers). While these didn't exist in 1703 or if they did (I don't remember) I had them disabled and 1709 enabled them. And I can verify the built-in admin account has not the permissions to disable them.

(FYI: Those two scan items do not appear in my Win10 Pro system Update Orchestrator. I hate Win10 Home with the passion of a 1000 burning suns.)

I've been using shutdown instead of hibernate as a workaround for the unwanted wake ups.

Extensive research reveals mostly that folks have been stumped but this just showed up yesterday:

Allow only manual updates on Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News

Yes, this does expand on TairikuOkami's #4 post with useful embellishments, like a set of instructions. And... pictures!

I can't get to this until the weekend, so maybe an astute tenforums member or two might want to try it and report if that allows the Schedule item(s) to be disabled.

Cheers.

Rey Redbad, Dec 3, 2017
  12. TairikuOkami, Dec 3, 2017
  13. Vaio 7 Win User

" I opened regedit.exe and located: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Update Orchestrator\Scheduled Scan and backed up that key, then deleted and reboot."

That did the job, WU does not run in the background while pc boots and no errors or side-effects to report.
    Thank you all.

Cheers,

Vaio 7, Dec 4, 2017
  14. Chuck7 Win User
    TopGundcp:

UH-OH!!! I just saw your post.
    Today, I was attempting to do something in the WinSxS Folder, and changed its "Owner" to "Administrator", but have been unable to make it revert to "TrustedInstaller".
    Do you think that will cause a problem?

Thanks, Chuck

Chuck7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler - Similar Threads - permission disable task

2. Terminating Task Scheduler Task

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Terminating Task Scheduler Task: I have set up at Task Scheduler Job with the following specifications --Repeat task every 5 minutes for a duration of 15 minutesStop all running tasks at end of repetition durationStop task if it runs longer than 30 minutes My intention was to have the task start, run for 5...
  3. Task Scheduler Task Not Triggering

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Scheduler Task Not Triggering: hi, any reason any task i create is not triggered at the time i set under one-time triggers? i've already tried a windows fresh install, new user account, dism, sfc, moving file to C: drive, checking to see if task scheduler service is set to automatic, checking and...
  4. scheduled tasks get disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    scheduled tasks get disabled: scheduled tasks on my system get randomly disabled. don't seem to discern any pattern on when that might happen, but more often than not it's the case when i go to task scheduler. googling this says that avast maybe the culprit, but changing its options makes no difference...
  5. Suspicious task in task scheduler

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Suspicious task in task scheduler: Recently I found a task in task scheduler that I didn't saw earlier, it named PostponeDeviceSetupToast_S-1-5-21-571410128-3262932422-3363705117-1000_0 and author is Microsoft Corporation, actions is Custom Handler. I don't know what it is and what it do and didn't found...
  6. Permissions to delete files with Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Permissions to delete files with Task Scheduler: Hi I have setup Windows Backup to utilise a spare internal hard disk, it works well. I have some large files which change quite regularly which are filling the disk quickly. I have setup a Scheduled task that uses Forfiles to delete old copies of these files, everything...
  7. Task Scheduler - All Tasks History disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Task Scheduler - All Tasks History disabled: Hi, one of my clients has reported that All Tasks History in the task scheduler had been disabled, and that he wanted to know who had done it. I've determined the exact date and time when this occurred, but the logon logs for then have been turned over and I no longer have...
  8. Task Scheduler no permissions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task Scheduler no permissions: As of June this year, I had full control over everything in my task scheduler. I could delete/modify anything, and I had a few tasks that I had created. Now, for whatever reason, I cannot edit, delete, disable, or enable any tasks. I can only make new ones. Those new ones I...
  9. Create task in task scheduler

in Windows 10 Customization
    Create task in task scheduler: Dear all, I need your assistant to run the following two tasks: - Shutdown the PC - Reboot the PC Is there a difference if the PC joined to the domain or not? Thank you in advacne...
  10. Cannot Disable Task Scheduler Tasks

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot Disable Task Scheduler Tasks: I thought I was the administrator? Apparently not. I wish there was a real equivalent to root on Windows, le sigh. How do I fix this? https://i.imgur.com/q1Qq4yf.png 109820

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the user account you are operating under does not have permission to disable this task

2. the user account you are operating under does not have permission to disable this task scheduler w10

3. windows 10 schedule task error the user account operating under does not have permissions disable enable

4. how to remove task scheduler without permission,
  5. windows task scheduler user account does nto have permission to disable,
  6. task scheduler the user account you are operating under does not have permission to disable this task,
  7. no permission to disable reboot,
  8. cannot disable task in task scheduler will not allow me to put in user name and password,
  9. the user account you are operating under does not have permission to disable the task windows 10,
  10. task schedule cannot disable task,
  11. task scheduler the user account does not have permission to modify the task,
  12. windows 10 permission to disable task scheduler,
  13. how to disable task scheduler permission,
  14. how to disable a task in task scheduler when account doesnt have rights,
  15. task scheduler the user account does not have permission to delete this task