Windows 10: No room on C:

Discus and support No room on C: in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just noticed my C: drive is full. Is there anything in Win10 (or recommended other software) to give a breakdown of what is using what? By folder... to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by James1093, Oct 10, 2016.

1. James1093 Win User

No room on C:

Just noticed my C: drive is full. Is there anything in Win10 (or recommended other software) to give a breakdown of what is using what? By folder... to get an idea what can be deleted ?

Thanks.

:)

James1093, Oct 10, 2016

2. No room on C:\ drive - How do I open Windows 10 upgrade on my external D;\ drive?

It's a
    highly technical term
    so unfamilar to most, I'd imagine.

In the interest of clarity, how's this?

"If confident your hardware is modern enough to meet the Windows 10 Specifications
    and are aware of any unsupported
    OS features, then you can bypass Get Windows 10 app in the System Tray to
    Create Windows 10 Installation Media
    to run the Upgrade. These steps are working to overcome almost all issues with GWX app in the System Tray, and/or Upgrade choking on corruption or bloated factory installs:..."

Thank you!

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Oct 10, 2016
  3. r.moretti Win User
    No room on C:\ drive - How do I open Windows 10 upgrade on my external D;\ drive?

I want to see my c drive

r.moretti, Oct 10, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

No room on C:

No, but you can usually use the Disk Cleanup wizard to get back a little space (as much as a few GB's in many cases). Then you can download a tool like WinDirStat that will give you that breakdown.

Mystere, Oct 10, 2016
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    There are utils for displaying space usage like space sniffer.

eLPuSHeR, Oct 10, 2016
  6. James1093 Win User
    Thanks for the advice/info

Cheers *Smile

James1093, Oct 10, 2016
  7. swarfega Win User
    What size is your drive? Perhaps its time to consider a larger one if you're managing to fill it up.

swarfega, Oct 10, 2016
  8. James1093 Win User

No room on C:

128GB SSD. I had intended it just for Windows, but it's amazing how it gets used up...
    You're right I should get a bigger one, and they're a bit cheaper now.

James1093, Oct 10, 2016
  9. swarfega Win User
    I would aim for the next size up, 240gb or maybe 500gb if you can afford it.

swarfega, Oct 10, 2016
  10. topgundcp Win User
    128GB is more than enough just for Windows and most third party apps unless you install some games that require lots of space. Mine is 120GB with lots of apps installed and only occupied ~ 33GB.

Download: WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics or TreeSize Portable Free
    run and post a screen shot then we can suggest what can be deleted.

topgundcp, Oct 10, 2016
  11. spunk Win User
    Make sure you have moved your User Files (ie) Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos etc to an external drive.
    Then run SpaceSniffer to see what is using all the space.

spunk, Oct 10, 2016
  12. James1093 Win User
    Maybe I should relate the whole saga... a week or so back there was a Windows update (one that added "Store" to the task manager if that helps identify it). After that I couldn't share files over the LAN anymore, it wanted a Use/pass that didn't exist.
    I manged to fix that by going back to previous build, but then noticed no space left on C: and a new windows.old folder.

Then the first of two big mistakes. I contacted the Microsoft char Help desk... specifically to ask if I could remove C:\Users\Win7. My thinking was I'd upgraded to Win10 perhaps this Win7 was redundant. They said Yes, so I did and permanent delete thinking a normal Delete into the recycle bin would not free any space.

However that was my current User account. MS Chat set me up with another but it's been a mess since and I'm now User "Test". I wouldn't mind removing all 'users" except one. Me and as Administrator. (Perhaps after I learn a bit more).

I'd started playing around with video and had some large files on the Desktop... I think this was most of the trouble. After shifting them to D: I have 46GB free on C:.

A couple of you advised programs to try. I've installed Spacesniffer and see a very complex looking window so need to figure it out. Perhaps I should also try the other(s)?

Anyway, over to you chaps for any more suggestions, and thanks for all the help.

James1093, Oct 11, 2016
  13. Bree New Member

No room on C:

Disk Clean-up can release a significant amount of space, particularly if you click the 'Clean up system files' button. Doing so adds a 'More options' tab where you can delete all but the latest restore point (these can eat up a lot of space).

The list of things that can be cleaned with the system clean up include 'previous windows versions' (your windows.old) and 'Windows Update Clean-up', both of which can be quite significant sizes.

14. James1093 Win User
    It's a bit of a minefield Googling for such things.. you never know what's full of spam/trojans or even if the DOWNLOAD
    button downloads the app, or same adware!

James1093, Oct 11, 2016
  15. Bree New Member
    Don't get carried and and try everything you see. Such 'make your PC faster/better/cleaner' promises can sometimes be a 'honey trap' laid by the malware merchants to catch those who are desperate for a solution.

Your first port of call should be to make full use of the built-in Microsoft tools. If you must try a 3rd-party tool, ONLY download directly from the authors, and only download one that has a good reputation. CCleaner seems to be one such tool, its use is mentioned in the tutorials...
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html
    (see option four)

...and is discussed here.
    Latest CCleaner Version Released

Thema:

No room on C:

1. No room on C: - Similar Threads - room

2. Wi-Fi goes from 900mb/s to 2mb/s when I moved to a different room in my house.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi goes from 900mb/s to 2mb/s when I moved to a different room in my house.: HelloI have been searching the internet for a solution for awhile now and none of the solutions I have found seem to work. I recently moved my PC from my basement where i was getting 900mb/s to a spare room where I get an average of 2mb/s. Whereas I get 600-800mb/s on my...
  3. Wi-Fi goes from 900mb/s to 2mb/s when I moved to a different room in my house.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-Fi goes from 900mb/s to 2mb/s when I moved to a different room in my house.: HelloI have been searching the internet for a solution for awhile now and none of the solutions I have found seem to work. I recently moved my PC from my basement where i was getting 900mb/s to a spare room where I get an average of 2mb/s. Whereas I get 600-800mb/s on my...
  4. Wi-Fi goes from 900mb/s to 2mb/s when I moved to a different room in my house.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. MBR2GPT - Cannot find room for the EFI system partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR2GPT - Cannot find room for the EFI system partition: Hi Folks, I am wanting to upgrade my system to Windows 11, and I went and enabled TPM 2.0, and Secure Boot, after doing this whenever I went to load up my pc, it would throw me back into the BIOS settings, so I changed them back to Legacy and all is good, after some research...
  6. MBR2GPT - Cannot find room for the EFI system partition

MBR2GPT - Cannot find room for the EFI system partition: Hi Folks, I am wanting to upgrade my system to Windows 11, and I went and enabled TPM 2.0, and Secure Boot, after doing this whenever I went to load up my pc, it would throw me back into the BIOS settings, so I changed them back to Legacy and all is good, after some research...
  7. MBR2GPT - Cannot find room for the EFI system partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Cannot find room for the EFI system partition.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot find room for the EFI system partition.: C:\WINDOWS\system32>MBR2GPT.EXE /convert /allowfullos MBR2GPT will now attempt to convert the default book disk. If conversion is successful the disk can only be booted in GPT mode. These changes cannot be undone! MBR2GPT: Attempting to convert disk 1 MBR2GPT: Retrieving...
  9. Calibration with Room Alive Kit not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Calibration with Room Alive Kit not working properly: Hello, the procam calibration of the roomalive toolkit is not working properly. if I start projectserver.exe doesn't start properly. screenshot belowAlso I cant really debug.It just opens the window frame and not showing any data values but when I open CalibrateEnsemble.exe...
  10. Calibration with Room Alive Kit not working properly

Calibration with Room Alive Kit not working properly: Hello, the procam calibration of the roomalive toolkit is not working properly. if I start projectserver.exe doesn't start properly. screenshot belowAlso I cant really debug.It just opens the window frame and not showing any data values but when I open CalibrateEnsemble.exe...