Windows 10: No "Screenshots" folder in the "Pictures" folder. How do I fix this?

Discus and support No "Screenshots" folder in the "Pictures" folder. How do I fix this? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello and hope this finds anyone who is reading this well. I tried to take screenshots via the WinKey+PrtSc and the Fn+WinKey+PrtSc method. As... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KantVersusHume, Jul 30, 2015.

1. No "Screenshots" folder in the "Pictures" folder. How do I fix this?

Hello and hope this finds anyone who is reading this well.

I tried to take screenshots via the WinKey+PrtSc and the Fn+WinKey+PrtSc method. As expected, the screen briefly dimmed and then reestablished normal illumination as you would expect when taking a screenshot with previous Windows OS-es. (No functionality at all apparent via Ctrl+WinKey+PrtSc.)

When I went to locate the screenshots in C:\Users\*****\Pictures, there was no "Screenshots" folder. I tried searching for the folder and for the screenshots to no avail (though my search skills are rather novice, so I may have missed some obvious way to locate the missing folder). Screenshots will save to the clipboard through the two operable methods above and can be pasted to Paint. I tried visually searching numerous folders and hidden folders for the screenshots, to no avail.

So, I looked in the registry and found:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

The ScreenshotIndex DWORD value is "3".

In Win8, from what I have found trying to understand and solve this issue, you would also find an expandable string at this location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShellFolders

It required value data which pointed to the pictures folder (%USERPROFILE%\Pictures\Screenshots).
    There was no such expandable string value present in my User Shell Folders location.

I never had this problem in Windows 8/8.1 and I realize things may be done very differently in Windows 10, so I didn't add the expandable string that the tutorial I was reading referenced in order to to fix this problem in Windows 8.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and solved it, or does anyone have a solution or theory of a solution I might try to implement.

Thank you very much for any help you may be able to provide, and even if you cannot help, thank you for the consideration you have given in reading through this.

:)

KantVersusHume, Jul 30, 2015
  2. 93tid Win User

How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

My favourite is MP3Tag, google it.

93tid, Jul 30, 2015
  3. pichs Win User
    How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

What are third party tag editors?

pichs, Jul 30, 2015
  4. No "Screenshots" folder in the "Pictures" folder. How do I fix this?

You should most definitely have a screen shot folder in that location. Odd...

No "Screenshots" folder in the "Pictures" folder.  How do I fix this? [​IMG]

Sorry, I can't be of more help...

fracking4oil, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Thanks for confirming the norm. My Screenshots folder must have ninja ancestry.

No "Screenshots" folder in the "Pictures" folder.  How do I fix this? [​IMG]

I tried to find others with this problem (I'm sure I cannot be the only one.), but it appears this didn't occur, or occur very often with the beta testers.

Anyone else have an idea? Step right up and help me track down my Screenshots folder trained in the the exquisite art of non-detection.

KantVersusHume, Jul 30, 2015
  6. PLANTROON Win User
    Same problem here.
    I changed the security settings of the Screenshots folder.
    No registry changes helped. I believe this is a problem with the upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10. It was on filesystem level, the screenshot could not be written. I sent Feedback already.

Screenshot - 74f4f22808b0cbd576cc0302d2abc4b0 - Gyazo

PLANTROON, Aug 1, 2015
  7. PLANTROON Win User
    I am the only user of this PC so I could change it as shown in the screenshot.
    But if you have multiple users, such thing may not be right.
    Microsoft should give a tool or release an update to fix this asap.

EDIT
    List of possible causes (my opinion, I'm just rly good with OSes and stuff but I give no guarantee since this is a hobby research, nothing more)
    1. Onedrive integration in Windows 8.1 that is not a thing anymore with Win 10
    2. NTFS permissions were broken during upgrade
    3. Only affects users who changed the location in the past (?) or modified the folder in other ways - permissions were broken back then but WIndows 8.1 was ok with it...

PLANTROON, Aug 1, 2015
  8. No "Screenshots" folder in the "Pictures" folder. How do I fix this?

Yep. I stumble-bummed to the solution yesterday afternoon. I tried to paste a screenshot into Paint and then save it in a Screenshots folder I added to Pictures. I received a prompt that informed me I didn't have permission to do so. Then I started trying to do anything besides creating a folder in the Pictures folder and received the same prompt.

I can't believe for so long I had never tried to do anything in the Pictures folder but the one thing I could do, create a folder. Then I remembered that Windows doesn't create the Screenshots folder until one screenshot via various PrtScr methods needs a default location to which to save. So, it hit me. There is no Screenshots folder because I have no rights to save the first screenshot anywhere in the Pictures folder.

As far as your explanations as to why it permissions were broken, choosing one of your theories as best is a bit above my understanding. I mean, I understand what you are suggesting, but I don't readily, easy follow how those things would happen.

That said, I did migrate the Music, Video, Documents, and Pictures folders from the original boot drive of my copy of Windows 7 Pro before I upgraded it through 8, 8.1, and finally 10. I moved them back upon upgrading to 8, but that may have been a rather clunky reversal, as I am pretty novice in my understanding. I'm the type that sees that I have a problem and can often figure how to properly research the issue, but it doesn't necessarily translate from those experiences to a greater, comprehensive understanding.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to respond. I think you may have explained my issue, and it was still bugging me that I really didn't have any idea what caused it. The other moved folders had no problem, but I bet you are right that it occurred as you described in your third suggestion.

The only idea I could surmise was that it had occurred with the original owner of the laptop. My laptop is a certified refurb. I figured maybe the original owner started experimenting or got infected, couldn't or wouldn't take the time to determine how to fix it and sent it back while he still had the rights to do so with Acer. I thought this is the type of problem that might just have gone unnoticed, being that it would be a strange thing to double-check for broken functionality. Other than this and some Twitter credentials I found in my Credential Manager, everything has been pristine.

Now that you have given me what seems a reasonable possibility of how I may have caused the issue a long time ago, I would think this laptop had never been used, if not for the Twitter credentials.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to comment.

KantVersusHume, Aug 2, 2015
  9. I have the same problem today, Jan. 1, 2018. I have been doing screen shots by pressing the Start Key + prt sc and then finding the screen shot in a folder call Screenshots located in Pictures where I could drag and drop my screen shot to anywhere. Worked great. But now, there is no Screenshot folder in Pictures. I think it is just a Windows program bug and I think it has something to do with the size being too big.

Ken Lichtsinn, Dec 31, 2017
  10. Tony K Win User
    Has anyone looked in their Recycle Bin?

Tony K, Dec 31, 2017
  11. Edwin New Member
    There's a tutorial somewhere about resetting the Screenshot sequential numbering.

This could very well have something to do with the flip over to 2018!

If you take another Screenshot, does the folder re-appear?

Edwin, Dec 31, 2017
  12. Tony K Win User
    Has your save-to changed to your OneDrive?

Tony K, Dec 31, 2017
  13. Tony K Win User

No "Screenshots" folder in the "Pictures" folder. How do I fix this?

Tony K, Dec 31, 2017
  14. REMF3 Win User
    Is it possible to do this without OneDrive? I had to get a new hard drive for my HP Envy and I am currently not logging in through Microsoft. (I think my computer guy disapproves and thinks it causes problems, ultimately. He's not put it back on before when I had to have my computer re built. Ditto a completely different IT company I've used.) So no OneDrive. (which frankly I found irritating and didn't use anyway.)

REMF3, Jan 21, 2018
  15. REMF3 Win User
    Ok I found the answer elsewhere. Windows key plus print screen key in case anyone is interested.

REMF3, Jan 24, 2018
Thema:

No "Screenshots" folder in the "Pictures" folder. How do I fix this?

1. No "Screenshots" folder in the "Pictures" folder. How do I fix this? - Similar Threads - Screenshots folder Pictures

2. Screenshots are not showing up in the "Screenshot" folder in the picture folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screenshots are not showing up in the "Screenshot" folder in the picture folder: I had onedrive installed on my laptop previously, but it wasn't signed in or set up, I also disabled the auto start on startup for onedrive since I don't use it and won't like to get my files backed up, but I noticed one thing, for some reason, my "Documents", "Pictures" and...
  3. Screenshots are not showing up in the "Screenshot" folder in the picture folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screenshots are not showing up in the "Screenshot" folder in the picture folder: I had onedrive installed on my laptop previously, but it wasn't signed in or set up, I also disabled the auto start on startup for onedrive since I don't use it and won't like to get my files backed up, but I noticed one thing, for some reason, my "Documents", "Pictures" and...
  4. How to take screenshots that automatically save to saved pictures folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to take screenshots that automatically save to saved pictures folder?: Hi everyone, the screenshots are helpful but when we need it to the right folder, its so difficult. so related to that, how to take screenshots that automatically save to saved pictures folder?Please answer it soon....
  5. How to take screenshots that automatically save to saved pictures folder?

How to take screenshots that automatically save to saved pictures folder?: Hi everyone, the screenshots are helpful but when we need it to the right folder, its so difficult. so related to that, how to take screenshots that automatically save to saved pictures folder?Please answer it soon....
  6. How do I recover a deleted screenshot NOT the folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I recover a deleted screenshot NOT the folder?: I accidentally deleted a screenshot. How do I recover it? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-recover-a-deleted-screenshot-not-the/9b8e240d-2a78-42d7-88a5-01e6faf816ff
  7. How do I recover a deleted screenshot NOT the folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I recover a deleted screenshot NOT the folder?: I accidentally deleted a screenshot. How do I recover it? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-recover-a-deleted-screenshot-not-the/9b8e240d-2a78-42d7-88a5-01e6faf816ff
  8. How do I recover a deleted screenshot NOT the folder?

9. Screenshots and screenshot folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Screenshots and screenshot folder: HI I want to take a screenshot using the windows key and print screen but it doesn't seem to be working and I can't find a screenshot folder in pictures... any advice would be appreciated?...
  10. No screenshot folder in picture folder.

in Windows 10 Customization
    No screenshot folder in picture folder.: All my screenshots are going to onedrive. I have stopped the auto upload but there is no screenshot folder in C drive/ Pictures. How do I fix this. Grateful for so help. I have spent all morning with no luck. Even tried the registry fix. Cheers...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pictures to screenshots folder