Windows 10: No search box

Discus and support No search box in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Have just clean installed 10 twice now but cannot get the Start button to show me the search box - anu ideas please as I do not want to install yet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ICIT2LOL, May 3, 2016.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

No search box

Have just clean installed 10 twice now but cannot get the Start button to show me the search box - anu ideas please as I do not want to install yet again because the updates took absolutely ages and my only alternative is to run 10 in Classic Shell as per my other laptop which defeats the point of me getting used to the new GIUI.

:)

ICIT2LOL, May 3, 2016

2. No search box on taskbar No search box :(

Hi Kate,

I understand your inconvenience and apologies for the delay in response. We will be glad to assist you with it.

I would suggest you to run SFC Scan and check if it helps.

What is SFC (System File Checker)?

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the steps given in the below article to perform SFC scan:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833?ppud=4&wa=wsignin1.0

Note: Steps applies to Windows 10 as well.

Let us know if the information was helpful to you. For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, May 3, 2016
  3. KeithJB Win User
    No search box on taskbar No search box :(

Thanks for the great replies here, however, it turns out that the solution is far simpler. My problem was because I was using small taskbar buttons on the taskbar! If you right-click on the taskbar and select "Use Small Taskbar Buttons" then the search
    box on the taskbar goes away!! If you revert to regular size buttons then the search box appears! I was using small buttons previously, hence no search box!

Thanks everyone for your help though!

Keith

KeithJB, May 3, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

No search box

Do you have this selected? Right click the taskbar.

No search box [​IMG]

Cliff S, May 3, 2016
  5. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Hmm I don't quite know what that means Cliff mate but I take it means I have to have that Cortana thing running and frankly I would sooner type than talk to the darn thing..

Another thing I have found too that although my Asus ROG was a downgrade to 7 Pro form 8 Pro I only have the Home version of 10 I thought that it was meant to be 10 Pro not that I suppose it makes much difference or does it??

Now not wanting to be a pain but I installed WLM but cannot find it*Huh even in Control Panel.

But hey thanks again for putting me on the right track as I just found the search bar and I think once I get used to this a bit I might keep it on.

ICIT2LOL, May 3, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    You don't need Cortana on, to use Windows Search, it's just called Cortana. I personally like to keep the box out of the way, you just need to open up the Start Menu and start typing and then it'll pop up, without it always using space up on the taskbar.

Cliff S, May 3, 2016
  7. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Ok Cliff thanks again I am keeping it there until I can attach stuff like like Control Panel, CMD and regedit to the Start menu as I tend to use them a fair bit.

ICIT2LOL, May 3, 2016
  8. ICIT2LOL Win User

No search box

Thanks Cliif I have just seen the pic you sent - it didn't show up the first time I viewed your post*Cool

ICIT2LOL, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

No search box

1. No search box - Similar Threads - search box

2. Taskbar apps right click issue. Search box issue.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar apps right click issue. Search box issue.: Right click on taskbar apps do not open context menu. Search box input not clear after search, on search box click it randomly disappears. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-apps-right-click-issue-search-box-issue/9d1d7e79-9246-44b6-b9ca-87bc201d9caf
  3. Taskbar apps right click issue. Search box issue.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar apps right click issue. Search box issue.: Right click on taskbar apps do not open context menu. Search box input not clear after search, on search box click it randomly disappears. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-apps-right-click-issue-search-box-issue/9d1d7e79-9246-44b6-b9ca-87bc201d9caf
  4. Taskbar apps right click issue. Search box issue.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Since the last update, no type of image appears in the search box.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Since the last update, no type of image appears in the search box.: Since the last update, no type of image appears in the search box.Windows 11 23h2 22631.3296.Attachment screenshot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/since-the-last-update-no-type-of-image-appears-in/35692694-9003-414a-bbc5-a30877459bee
  6. Since the last update, no type of image appears in the search box.

Since the last update, no type of image appears in the search box.: Since the last update, no type of image appears in the search box.Windows 11 23h2 22631.3296.Attachment screenshot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/since-the-last-update-no-type-of-image-appears-in/35692694-9003-414a-bbc5-a30877459bee
  7. Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore: Usually I pressed the Win key to open up the windows start menu and I typed any letters there to start searching for my apps and files.For example I usually type 'Win' then 'F' and 'Enter' to open File Explorer.The problem is that now the search box doesn't automatically...
  8. Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore: Usually I pressed the Win key to open up the windows start menu and I typed any letters there to start searching for my apps and files.For example I usually type 'Win' then 'F' and 'Enter' to open File Explorer.The problem is that now the search box doesn't automatically...
  9. Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore

10. Instructions for using File Explorer Search Box

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Instructions for using File Explorer Search Box: I want to find all files named *.vb that contains the string ASD in a folder's tree.Where are the MS instructions that show how to use the file explore search box?...