Windows 10: No Signal--Can't get to desktop

Discus and support No Signal--Can't get to desktop in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Full Story: I have an older computer on which I installed Windows 10 and was using a 43" TV as a monitor. Worked fine. We moved and computer sat for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Jambe, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Jambe Win User

No Signal--Can't get to desktop

Full Story:
    I have an older computer on which I installed Windows 10 and was using a 43" TV as a monitor. Worked fine.
    We moved and computer sat for three months. I fired it up with a Gateway 23" monitor. The monitor did not come alive and after twenty minutes of the HDD flashing repeatedly, sometimes on solid for 10+ seconds, I hit power off and started troubleshooting.

I swapped out mouse and keyboard. No change.

I was connected with DVI, switched to HDMI. No difference.

Booting now would get to the four-pane blue window with circle of balls and then No Signal. (RGB)

Checked BIOS and didn't find anything that seemed wrong. Video worked fine when checking BIOS. (Graphic adapter has three choices – Internal, PCI and PCI-E. Since there is no separate graphics card I assume it is on the MSI motherboard. Does that mean I should set to Internal? It was/is at PCI-E.)

Somehow I managed to get to screens that let me chose what to do about fixing problem. Tried all of them but reply was it wasn't able to fix the problem. One allowed me to boot in Safe Mode. Windows loaded and allowed me to connect to internet. Device Manager shows an exclamation mark in triangle by Monitor | Gateway ###. Can't fix anything when in safe mode.

Now I am desperate. I open up a new SSD and load my Windows 10 (Media Creation Tool) disk. I install Windows 10 Home and everything works fine so I am able to connect to internet. When filling out Region, etc. I get to entering email, phone or Skype I put in email and password. As soon as I enter password-No Signal. I reboot and I don't even get the four-pane blue window-No Signal. And the HDD/SSD light flashed repeatedly and continually after No Signal. Why?

I go back to the HDD and try it again. At least it gives me the blue window before saying No Signal.

So, the video works when installing Windows but not after. It works in Safe Mode. The BIOS video works.

Since I can't get to the desktop how do I install a video driver IF that is the problem?

What else can I try?

P.S. When installing Windows (giving info) for 1 second something flashes up showing something about which monitor (shows two) but doesn't allow me to choose.

:)

Jambe, Jan 12, 2018

2. Did one on get use desk mode to use from the tablet code.

Thanks so much.

can't get no satisfaction, Jan 12, 2018
  3. Did one on get use desk mode to use from the tablet code.

Thanks for so much.

can't get no satisfaction, Jan 12, 2018
  4. Geosammy Win User

I would try setting it to internal.

Geosammy, Jan 12, 2018
  5. Jambe Win User
    Setting the graphics adapter to Internal had no effect.

Jambe, Jan 13, 2018
  6. Geosammy Win User
    Do you have another monitor, or any way of obtaining one to try out?

Geosammy, Jan 13, 2018
  7. Jambe Win User
    I tried the Gateway monitor. I tried the TV monitor. I hooked up an Acer monitor. No difference.

Jambe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. No Signal--Can't get to desktop - Similar Threads - Signal Can't desktop

2. Can't get to desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't get to desktop: Have an hp laptop. I cannot get passed "other user" screen to get to my user name and sign on, it diesnt show any place to switch user or change password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-get-to-desktop/fd12692b-1c32-4ff7-9295-36bf799a4914
  3. Can't get to desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't get to desktop: Have an hp laptop. I cannot get passed "other user" screen to get to my user name and sign on, it diesnt show any place to switch user or change password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-get-to-desktop/fd12692b-1c32-4ff7-9295-36bf799a4914
  4. Can't get Signal through Windows Firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't get Signal through Windows Firewall: When I install Signal for Desktop, it throws me an error that it can't connect to its servers. I found an Audit Failure event in Event Viewer for this app: "The Windows Filtering Platform has blocked a connection.". So then I went and allowed the application through Windows...
  5. VGA Monitor not getting signal

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    VGA Monitor not getting signal: Hello, I'm strictly in need of 2 monitors setup. But there's one problem that stops me from it. I have an old VGA Asus 1400x900 monitor which I would like to use. When I plug it in to my windows 10 laptop, there's no signal going. I tried with an older laptop which is a...
  6. Monitor not getting signal

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor not getting signal: I'm having issues getting my HDMI monitor to show a signal. I've tried a lot of options already that have been listed on the internet but I'm not having luck. Basically, I have a TV I was using last night with the HDMI cable (Display Port - HDMI) to my pc with no problem. I...
  7. Can't get back to desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't get back to desktop: Hi, I can't seem to get back to my desktop, it's showing the start button screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-get-back-to-desktop/3d9beb1c-fe9a-492f-97e9-2782d275e0ec
  8. Can't get to desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't get to desktop: This is really weird I've tried this for an hour maybe? And now it's stuck in the Recovery screen it says: "Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors. File:...
  9. Can't get to desktop today

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't get to desktop today: My computer does not make it to the desktop this morning, is anyone else having this problem? I turned it on from the off state, and once on my desktop no application would start, it gave an error starting with 0x and ending in 0000005. I restarted and it said it was getting...
  10. Can't get to desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't get to desktop: Just got an up date version 1607 KB4023057 and now I can't get to my desktop on tablet. EDIT: It changed to tablet mode setting and I didn't realize it required a reboot for desktop mode, but now everything is OK 102866