Windows 10: No Sound Even though PC says all my sound related hardware is working

Discus and support No Sound Even though PC says all my sound related hardware is working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I left my computer on while on the pause screen of Fallout 4 and it eventually fell asleep, when I came back a moved the mouse to wake up the computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BigDickPlaya, Apr 20, 2016.

1. No Sound Even though PC says all my sound related hardware is working

I left my computer on while on the pause screen of Fallout 4 and it eventually fell asleep, when I came back a moved the mouse to wake up the computer but nothing happened, the monitor said there was no signal even though no wires were moved. I unplugged the DVI cable and I also had to unplug the wire that sends sound from the PC to the monitor. If I remember correctly I put the sound in last.

The monitor turned on no problem but Fallout 4 lagged heavily for a bit and I noticed there was no sound. The lagging was something I expected, I'm not sure if this piece of information helps, but I did get a message a couple days ago saying my PC had overused memory or something (I think it was related to my RAM) after I woke up the computer when I had Fallout 4 paused and when I saved the game when I had that issue the file was corrupted and I couldn't load that save.

I have tried the typical stuff like restarting, shutting down and checking to update drivers. All the cables are plugged in correctly and none are loose. My PC claims that my stereo and headphones are working perfectly and that isn't true because no sound can be heard whether I am using headphones or I am using the monitor's speakers. I hope I provided enough information for anyone who is willing to help, I won't be able to do anything until the morning because it is rather late here on the East Coast but thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

:)

BigDickPlaya, Apr 20, 2016

2. After upgrading to Windows 10 my sound has stopped working on my computer.

I installed Windows 10 a week ago and the sound was working on the PC. All of a sudden, it has stopped working even though

the device manager says the latest sound driver devices have been installed. When you hit the sound volume button, a box appears in the upper left hand screen that shows the % of sound volume, however, there is no sound coming from the PC. Also, my Windows
    Media Player will not offer sound when you select to "play" an album. What's going on?

GloriaLogan, Apr 20, 2016
  3. Headphones not detecting in Windows 10

I've recently purchased some headphones to use on a Windows 10 (64-bits) laptop, but I am experiencing technical problems. When I plug my headphones into the PC, the PC wont detect the new hardware (headphones) plugged in nor installed. I've tried many ways
    to troubleshoot the problem such as going to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Sound -> Playback tab. Not even that worked, because in the Playback tab, there is no 'Headphones' option displayed, it only shows Speakers when most troubleshooting
    sites I've come across say to select Headphones from the list (even though it isn't even shown on my PC).

Any solution to resolve and troubleshoot this?

(Note: This doesn't appear to be the headphones not working. The headphones work if I were to connect it to other devices (e.g. phone) to see if the sound works, yet it doesn't work if I connect it to PC. PC wont detect the new hardware and install it)

Vijay Chowdhury, Apr 20, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

No Sound Even though PC says all my sound related hardware is working

Hi, as you mention file corruption, best do this first (nothing to do with sound per se):
    Press Windows key + X, click on Command Prompt (admin)
    Type
    chkdsk C: /F

Your computer will restart - be patient, check the result.
    If it's clear or fixed, ok.

If so, boot normally, rt click on the volume icon, click Troubleshoot....
    and post back.

dalchina, Apr 20, 2016
  5. fireberd Win User
    Check the Sound Playback device. It should be set to "Speakers" (your PC sound card). If its set to something else there will not be any sound from the speakers or headset.

fireberd, Apr 20, 2016
  6. Just to clarify the file being corrupt was 3 days ago, the sound issue was just yesterday. I have set my default sound for my speakers and when I clicked test, the green bars light up indicating that the speaker is playing sound even though nothing it coming out of the speakers. I also doubt that the speakers are blown because the monitor is one 1-2 years old and I've never blared sound through the speakers. I have an ASUS VH238H (I think) if that helps. I also have an hdmi cable plugged in from my PC to my TV and when I make the TV as my default speaker it doesn't play sound either.

Update: I unplugged the wire that plays sound. If the wire is only unplugged from the monitor than it stills says sound is being played. If it is unplugged from both the monitor and the PC than it isn't registered on the PC as being connected, also if the wire is just plugged into the monitor than it also is not registered as being connected.

7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, have you tried the troubleshooter as I suggested?

Also check (but I'm pretty sure you have already)
    a. rt click volume icon, Open Volume Mixer - levels and no mute
    b. rt click volume icon, Playback Devices, check your speakers are default, double click that and check levels.

dalchina, Apr 20, 2016
  8. No Sound Even though PC says all my sound related hardware is working

I tried what you suggested now and I typed in after chkdskC:/ F after the thing that says system32>. Maybe I didn't type the command you wrote correctly but it still doesn't work.

Update: I did type it in incorrectly is says Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be check the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) when I clicked yes and restarted Windows said it was repairing the drive and the sound still doesn't work. I even updated my AMD High Definition Audio Device Driver.

9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I only suggested chkdsk C: /F 'cos you mentioned a corrupted file.. I think I did say it had nothing to do with the sound- only the file system.

What was the outcome of running the troubleshooter?
    Which is your sound driver? Eg Conexant, Realtek...

You could try this setting:

No Sound Even though PC says all my sound related hardware is working [​IMG]

and check this is your setting:

No Sound Even though PC says all my sound related hardware is working [​IMG]

If you have a Realtek driver, try disabling sound enhancements.

dalchina, Apr 20, 2016
  10. It seems like I have a Realtek driver because I searched it on the PC and it came up. I have the exact settings that your pictures suggest and it still isn't working. Interestingly when I went to Ease of Access Center>Use text or visual alternatives for sounds and I clicked on Audio Devices and Sound Themes it stated that my AMD High Definition Audio Device is not plugged in. So that could be the problem and I am currently trying to find out how to fix that.

11. fireberd Win User
    The AMD High Definition Audio Device is for HDMI audio, only.

fireberd, Apr 20, 2016
  12. I switched the green cable and DVI to and HDMI cable and when I click test it works and it says it is plugged in, however audio from the internet and iTunes is still muted. There is probably some setting that go messed up.

Update: I set the HDMI connection as the default device. I still don't get how the green wire that transfer audio still doesn't work even though it showed up as connected.

Thanks for all your help!

13. dalchina New Member

"If you have a Realtek driver, try disabling sound enhancements." - fixed it for some - apparently

- and any outcome from running the troubleshooter?

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. No Sound Even though PC says all my sound related hardware is working - Similar Threads - Sound though says

2. My laptop speaker has no sound even though it says it's working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop speaker has no sound even though it says it's working: My laptop is a asus zenbook 14. When I went to Youtube and play a video there'd be a spaeker icon on the chrome's tab, and when I test the audio in settings it shows that it's making sound, but there's just no sound coming out. I tried most of the common solution online but...
  3. My laptop speaker has no sound even though it says it's working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop speaker has no sound even though it says it's working: My laptop is a asus zenbook 14. When I went to Youtube and play a video there'd be a spaeker icon on the chrome's tab, and when I test the audio in settings it shows that it's making sound, but there's just no sound coming out. I tried most of the common solution online but...
  4. Sound is not working even though Windows said it should

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound is not working even though Windows said it should: So after I have downloaded Bootcamp to run Windows on my iMac the Digital Audio Sound and any headphones that use a jack wont give any Sound. It only works if the Audio Device is using an USB or if it is able to connect with Bluetooth. I have already searched for solutions...
  5. Sound is not working even though Windows said it should

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound is not working even though Windows said it should: So after I have downloaded Bootcamp to run Windows on my iMac the Digital Audio Sound and any headphones that use a jack wont give any Sound. It only works if the Audio Device is using an USB or if it is able to connect with Bluetooth. I have already searched for solutions...
  6. Sound is not working even though Windows said it should

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. PC has no sound even though it detects the headphones

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC has no sound even though it detects the headphones: My pc detects my headphones and tries to play audio to them I can see in the mixer but no sound is played nothing is muted and my headphones are the default device I have tried multiple headphones that work with other devices there is also a loud static noise when I plug...
  8. Sound not working at all

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sound not working at all: I recently installed windows 10 pro on my imac and everything went well until i noticed that the sound wasnt working at all i have tried everything on microsoft community and nothing has worked can someone please help me get my sound to work. thanks...
  9. Sound not working at all

Sound not working at all: [ATTACH]i can't get sound to work and it isn't showing any audio devices. When i go to device manager it says the audio devices in the computer are working fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-not-working-at-all/d46be84e-ae08-4469-8adc-92be6ba9e124
  10. sceptre monitor no sound though configuration says working properly

sceptre monitor no sound though configuration says working properly: configuration says working properly and proper driver installed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/sceptre-monitor-no-sound-though-configuration-says/85ab1ec0-c8d6-4116-b387-604729ac7611

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 1903 will not send the sound to my speakers even though the sound indicators responds to sound.