Windows 10: No sound from speakers/headphones

Discus and support No sound from speakers/headphones in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have the Dell XPS 8300 with the onboard Realtek HD Audio. I can't get any sound from speakers/headphones using any of the ports at the back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by kamalaggi, Oct 6, 2016.

1. kamalaggi Win User

No sound from speakers/headphones

Hi,

I have the Dell XPS 8300 with the onboard Realtek HD Audio.

I can't get any sound from speakers/headphones using any of the ports at the back and the front audio jack.

The speakers are fine as I have tested them on my mobile.

I have the latest drivers installed. Sound is working fine though HDMI on my TV but i'm guessing that's using my graphics card.

I have headphones/speaker selected in sound manager. Also realtek sound manager is detecting that my speakers are connected to the audio jacks at the back and front but still no sound.

In sound manager I can see the green bar moving up/down for Speakers/Headphones.

Could the sound chip on motherboard be fried?

Thanks for you help.

:)

kamalaggi, Oct 6, 2016

2. Sound problems with windows 10

I updated my laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 yesterday and I am having an issue with my sound. The sound was not coming from the speakers on my laptop but it would come through on my headphones, when i changed the sound default to my speakers, the speakers
    worked but when i plugged my headphones in the sound continues to play from my speaker. when headphones are default then sound doesn't play through the speakers when the headphones are unplugged.

setting the headphones as the default communication device does not solve this issue.

before this update sound would play through my speakers then when headphones where plugging in it would play through the headphone then back to the speakers when the headphones were unplugged. That's how its supposed to be.

How do i fix this issue? Help.

BeckyThayer13, Oct 6, 2016
  3. Problem with the sound in Windows 10

I updated my laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 yesterday and I am having an issue with my sound. The sound was not coming from the speakers on my laptop but it would come through on my headphones, when i changed the sound default to my speakers, the speakers
    worked but when i plugged my headphones in the sound continues to play from my speaker. when headphones are default then sound doesn't play through the speakers when the headphones are unplugged.

setting the headphones as the default communication device does not solve this issue.

before this update sound would play through my speakers then when headphones where plugging in it would play through the headphone then back to the speakers when the headphones were unplugged. That's how its supposed to be.

How do i fix this issue? Help.

NIKOLETA VARSANOVA, Oct 6, 2016
  4. fireberd Win User

If you are using HDMI (or have an HDMI cable connected to the PC) Windows automatically sets that as the Default Audio Playback Device. In that case you must manually change the Default Audio Playback Device to "Speakers" (Realtek).

RIGHT click on the Start "windows" icon in the lower Left and then select Control Panel. In the Control Panel, click on Hardware and Sound and finally the Sound Panel. You can set the default playback device in the Sound Panel/Playback section.

fireberd, Oct 6, 2016
  5. kamalaggi Win User
    Hi thanks for your reply.

If you read my post carefully I did say that I already have the headphones/speaker selected in sound manager

kamalaggi, Oct 6, 2016
  6. fireberd Win User
    It still sounds like the wrong device is selected. I've also seen this if "Realtek Digital" is set as default.
    Go to the Device Manager, uninstall Realtek, but DO NOT uninstall the drivers. Restart the PC and when Windows starts it will detect and reinstall the sound. Many problems are corrected by this, however, if you have HDMI connected you will have to manually select "Speakers" as default playback device.

fireberd, Oct 7, 2016
  7. kamalaggi Win User
    No sound from speakers/headphones [​IMG]

Hi,

Please see attached image. I have speakers/headphones selected but still no sound. I've removed realtek from device manager and rebooted to let windows reinstall but still no sound.

kamalaggi, Oct 7, 2016
  8. fireberd Win User

Plug the headset into the rear GREEN (speaker) jack and see if you get audio.

fireberd, Oct 7, 2016
  9. kamalaggi Win User
    I tried that. Still no audio.

kamalaggi, Oct 7, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    Dark green bars show it's working so there could be something wrong with connector. Is it 3 or 4 ring connector ?

CountMike, Oct 7, 2016
  11. kamalaggi Win User
    I've tried both.

My speakers have a detachable connector.

kamalaggi, Oct 7, 2016
  12. fireberd Win User
    Disconnect the front panel headphone/mic jacks from the motherboard and then see if the rear panel GREEN speaker jack works (either with speakers or headset). This is in case the front panel jack is causing no audio out. Power off the PC before opening and disconnecting the front panel audio.

The connector for the front panel audio is listed as #21 on the motherboard drawing (below).

No sound from speakers/headphones [​IMG]

fireberd, Oct 7, 2016
  13. kamalaggi Win User

I just tried that but no luck.

kamalaggi, Oct 7, 2016
  14. fireberd Win User
    Rats.
    Go to the sound panel, click on the Speakers entry to highlight it and then Click "Configure" on the lower left. Select "Stereo" and then plug the headset into the rear Green speaker jack. Then Click "Test" and see if you hear the tone in each ear.

fireberd, Oct 8, 2016
  15. fireberd Win User
    One final item. What is listed in the Device Manager/Sound section?
    Please post a screenshot.

Do you remember when it stopped working? Was it the Anniversary Update?

fireberd, Oct 8, 2016
Thema:

1. No sound from speakers/headphones - Similar Threads - sound speakers headphones

2. headphones plugged in but sound coming from speakers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    headphones plugged in but sound coming from speakers: Hi,My daughter's new laptop HP Windows 11, purchased 8 months ago is having an issue with the headphones. In the last couple of days, whenever she plugs them in, the sound still comes from the speakers, not the headphones. These are simple wired in-ear headphones that work...
  3. headphones plugged in but sound coming from speakers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    headphones plugged in but sound coming from speakers: Hi,My daughter's new laptop HP Windows 11, purchased 8 months ago is having an issue with the headphones. In the last couple of days, whenever she plugs them in, the sound still comes from the speakers, not the headphones. These are simple wired in-ear headphones that work...
  4. No sound coming from headphones and speakers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No sound coming from headphones and speakers: So I was playing some games with my friends on discord when I got up to eat dinner, and during that time my computer went to sleep. When I got back there was a message that popped up saying that a new input was detected and asked me to switch. I decided not to but then I...
  5. Sound Headphones - Speaker

Sound Headphones - Speaker: So i have speaker and headphones. When i plugg in just one of them, in sounds at playback it appears like "speaker", if i plugg in both of devices, the same appears in sounds at playback. I don't know how to make 2 "things" in sound settings. 1 for speaker and 1 for...
  6. There is sound from both my speaker and headphones

There is sound from both my speaker and headphones: I have a MSI laptop, this problem started recently. I connect my headphones and there is sound comming from both my laptop speaker and headphones. i tried uninstalling the driver and restarting.. didnt work. so i tried rolling back my driver.. it did work but i encountered...
  7. No sound through headphones/speakers from Line-In

No sound through headphones/speakers from Line-In: Hello, I have a VIA HD on board sound card, with a Behringer Xenyx 1202fx mixer. Main out with RCA cables with a 3.5mm y-adapter plugged into the line-in on the sound card. I have Samson C01 Studio condenser Mic connected to the mixer. Since upgrading to Windows 10, I can...
  8. No Sound From HeadPhones But Speaker Works

No Sound From HeadPhones But Speaker Works: I Have a HP Pavilion g7-1355dx Notebook PC And I Just Upgraded From Windows 7 To Windows 10 And I Cant Hear Anything From My Headphones But Only From My Internal Speaker. The HeadPhones Work Fine On My DeskTop And They Dont Require A Drive. have tried updating the...
  9. No sound from headphones but speakers work.

No sound from headphones but speakers work.: Hello, I have a laptop - Asus GL551JW-DS71. My speakers work fine but when I plug in my headphones, I can't hear any sound from the headphones. The headphones do work as I use them for my desktop. I have tried updating the sound drivers from the device manager. I...
  10. Sound coming from both speakers + headphones

Sound coming from both speakers + headphones: Hello, I'm having an issue with my sound, when I have my headphones plugged in both my speakers and the headphones generate sound but I only want the headphones to generate sound. It is simple plug and play headphones. Would anyone know how I can block the sound...