Windows 10: No sound through headset after sleep mode

Discus and support No sound through headset after sleep mode in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently installed an SSD to my computer, and did a fresh installation of Windows 10. After doing the driver updates for all the various components,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kenakth, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Kenakth Win User

No sound through headset after sleep mode

I recently installed an SSD to my computer, and did a fresh installation of Windows 10. After doing the driver updates for all the various components, I've run into an odd problem with my headphones that has never happened before. When I turn on the computer with the headphones attached, they work perfectly. When I put the computer to sleep, or disconnect/reconnect the headphones, they won't work anymore. As long as the headphones are plugged in, the speakers are silent (as they should be), and when they are unplugged the speakers resume working. Is this a fairly common problem? My brother has something similar with his computer running on Windows 10 as well.

Thanks,

:)

Kenakth, Dec 22, 2016
  2. JakeFord1 Win User

Headset will not function on plugging in when the PC is in normal mode, functions fine in sleep mode after a recent Windows 10 update.

Original Title: Have to put laptop to sleep to change audio output

Hi,

Basically to change the audio output on my laptop I have to put it to sleep and then either; plug the headset in whilst it's asleep if I want to use it, or unplug it whilst it's asleep if I don't want to use it.

Plugging the headset in while the laptop is awake and using the internal speakers makes no difference, the sound will continue playing through the internal speakers, and unplugging the headset whilst the laptop is awake and using the headset just means there
    is no sound whatsoever until the laptop is put to sleep and woken back up or the headset plugged back in.

This problem only started after a windows update a couple days ago, any help would be greatly appreciated.

JakeFord1, Dec 22, 2016
  3. Why Headphones are working only after waking up from sleep ?

Sleep Mode doesn't run any applications on your computer including sounds. If you want to hear sounds on your computer, don't put it on sleep mode.

For more information about Sleep Mode, read this article:
    No Sound After Resuming Computer from Standby or Sleep Mode

Johann Eva, Dec 22, 2016
  4. fireberd Win User

What kind of headphone? USB? 3.5mm plug?

If its USB, it has to do with powering off the USB for sleep.

fireberd, Dec 22, 2016
  5. Kenakth Win User
    Thanks for the response. The headphones are connected through a 3.5mm jack, and the brand is Sennheiser if that makes any difference.

Kenakth, Dec 23, 2016
  6. fireberd Win User
    Do you have the correct sound hardware driver or just the generic, basic function, Windows installed High Definition Audio driver? If you do not have the correct sound driver, that is the first step. May not fix the problem but needs to be done.

fireberd, Dec 23, 2016
  7. Kenakth Win User
    I have installed the Realtek audio driver, but nothing else. How would I figure out what sound driver I need to download for the hardware itself?

Kenakth, Jan 3, 2017
  8. fireberd Win User

There are two drivers listed on the Sager site for this model.
    A sound driver (unidentified) and a SoundBlaster XFI MB which is an enhancement to the hardware sound. Download both and install and see if that fixes it.
    A Trusted Brand for Gaming Laptops | Sager Notebooks

fireberd, Jan 3, 2017
  9. Kenakth Win User
    I downloaded both of the drivers, but the problem is persisting. When I plug in the headphones now, a Realtek HD Audio Manager pop-up occurs showing I plugged in headphones, but there is still no sound.

Kenakth, Jan 5, 2017
  10. fireberd Win User
    With everything that has been done, I would have to say something is wrong with the new Windows installation, since it apparently worked OK before the new install. It appears now (after the last installs) that the Sound is working correctly and its detecting the headset. Just Windows is not routing the sound correctly.

fireberd, Jan 5, 2017
  11. Kenakth Win User
    Alright, thanks for the help. I'll have to try reinstalling Windows, then.

Kenakth, Jan 5, 2017
  12. fireberd Win User
    Not a 100% guarantee, but what I would do (reinstall).

fireberd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. No sound through headset after sleep mode - Similar Threads - sound through headset

2. Microsoft Modern Wireless Headset sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Modern Wireless Headset sleep mode: After a few hours of not being used, the Microsoft Modern Wireless Headset goes to sleep. Thus when I answer a call it is no good, need to power the headset off then back on for it to wake up and re-establish a connection to the Microsoft USB Link dongle that came with it,...
  3. Headset playing sound through microphone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headset playing sound through microphone: Hey, the cable from my headset broke and now I got a new one, problem now is, my audio from my pc is playing through my microphone.Things I have tested: 1. removing the microphone does not fix it, it still plays the audio2. if I change to another microphone in my settings, it...
  4. Headset playing sound through microphone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headset playing sound through microphone: Hey, the cable from my headset broke and now I got a new one, problem now is, my audio from my pc is playing through my microphone.Things I have tested: 1. removing the microphone does not fix it, it still plays the audio2. if I change to another microphone in my settings, it...
  5. No Sound After Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No Sound After Sleep Mode: Hello I have an Acer Nitro 5 laptop that I'd had since December 2019. I am running Win10, Version 1909 OS build 18363.815. Whenever this laptop is wakened from sleep mode, sound no longer plays from the speakers or from headphones. If I go into sound settings, under where...
  6. No sound after waking up from sleep mode when audio is through my monitors.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No sound after waking up from sleep mode when audio is through my monitors.: First - I haven't been able to find a community answer that works for this, if you have one, please direct me. Hi, After waking up from sleep mode, there is no audio which runs through either monitor display port connection. - Audio works correctly after a restart, once...
  7. No sound after resume from sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No sound after resume from sleep mode.: From about two years I have this problem. I have installed every single version of driver, but problem won't go away. Sound only come back when I restart Windows Audio service. Anyone have an idea what causes this? submitted by /u/antek2220 [link] [comments]...
  8. Sound not playing through headphones after sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sound not playing through headphones after sleep: submitted by /u/Phoenixboy222 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fhmksu/sound_not_playing_through_headphones_after_sleep/
  9. Sound issues after Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound issues after Sleep mode: Hi, I'm having a problem with my Sound after my PC awakes from Sleep mode. It doesn't happen every time but rather irregularly. Still annoying tho because I have to reboot each time it happens. After I awake my computer the Sound icon is displayed in my systray with a...
  10. Buzzing sound through brand new headset (and other headsets)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Buzzing sound through brand new headset (and other headsets): So I'm trying to get an external microphone (on a headset) working on my recently bought HP laptop (it's the Star Wars LE here), last night I was testing my headset but there is a really loud buzzing sound even when there's absolutely no interference in the room. I've...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. NO SOUND ON ANDROID PHONE AFTER SLEEP MODE