Windows 10: No sound, USB ports not working after latest updates

Discus and support No sound, USB ports not working after latest updates in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello there, people of teh internetz, I'm looking for some help getting my laptop to work normally, after the latest windows updates. Problems -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TheDeerDude, Feb 18, 2018.

1. No sound, USB ports not working after latest updates

Hello there, people of teh internetz,

I'm looking for some help getting my laptop to work normally, after the latest windows updates.

Problems
    - There is no sound. The troubleshooter can't fix the problem. I can hear quiet, random crackling sounds with headphones plugged in.
    - None of the two USB 3.0 ports are working, neither is the single USB 2.0 port. They appear in the device manager as "Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)

Things I tried
    I tried installing the audio drivers but that didn't help.
    I tried to look for the usb 3.0 drivers but can't find them on the HP website.
    I wanted to use a restore point to fix this mess, but they all somehow disappeared.

Information
    Here is some information about my system:
    Windows 10 Home, Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.125)
    HP Pavilion 15-AU077SA
    Specs: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product...ment/c05182192
    Drivers:https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers...model/12079291

I really am feeling very miserable right now, I am a tech-savy person but this bullshit is beyond me. Just imagine your freakin' parents or some elderly people having to put up with this "mandatory bullshit".

:)

TheDeerDude, Feb 18, 2018
  2. Blackdood Win User

USB Peripheral Issue After KB4022405

After windows automatically installed this latest update, my USB Peripherals have started misbehaving. Tried multiple USB headphones to no avail. (Tried all the usual tricks of restarting sound services, uninstalling and reinstalling USB Audio Drivers etc)
    and nothing worked.

I also noticed that my HOTAS Warthog throttle is not working either.

Multiple USB ports tried. Devices are detected but met only with the "Failed to play test tone

Blackdood, Feb 18, 2018
  3. Windows 10 usb port problem

So if you cant use the mouse or keyboard on the device to get to anything in order to go through these steps, then what is my option. Both my keyboard and mouse are USB port devices and the USB ports don't work after the latest update.

none of the above_974, Feb 18, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

No sound, USB ports not working after latest updates

You might want to try Fernando's "modded" USB 3 drivers from Win-RAID: Forum - USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers (original and modded). But perhaps some of the HP-and/or-USB-savvy members should also weigh in on their success in using those drivers first: @spapakons, @lx07, @DeaconFrost, @Wynona, @Kari, @AddRAM, @Edwin, @badrobot. I haven't owned an HP laptop for at least 4-5 years now... though I did love my Dragon!!!

Thanks,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 18, 2018
  5. I also noticed your card reader isn't installed correctly. Under Drivers-Storage in the link you provided is the driver. Just in case it is contributing to this issue I would install it.

Does your laptop have a removal battery?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 18, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, it seems you are in the US.
    I found drivers for your system here:
    HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support
    - ie-en maybe Irish? but haven't looked for a US site- it took several tries to find those.

I did find one site where it seemed the site was down.
    The sites you list were GB- British.

No sound, USB ports not working after latest updates [​IMG]

If you've had an upgrade (rather than an update) to build 1709, that might explain your situation somewhat:
    a. System Restore points are ALWAYS deleted on a build upgrade - and must be.
    After an upgrade previous restore points are totally irrelevant and useless.

b. All drivers are replaced.
    If for some reason there was a problem retrieving your drivers, that might perhaps explain what you're seeing- although I've not seen this before.

What happens if you do this?

No sound, USB ports not working after latest updates [​IMG]

dalchina, Feb 18, 2018
  7. Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for all your suggestions, I really appreciate them. Unfortunately I've spent most of the day trying to figure things out on my own, and seeing as this is my main machine I've been away from the forums.

I did try to install more drivers such as the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver" which didn't change anything, as well as the "Intel Inter-Integrated Circuit (I2C) Driver" that refused to install. I did manage to get the card reader to appear working, however.

@dalchina:
    Unfortunately the information on my profile was wrong about that, I fixed it now. Apologies for the confusion. The sites I listed are indeed right for my region, and my laptop.

Thank you for answering my question, it does make sense that the previous restore points would be deleted.

I'm afraid I must have been unlucky, the drivers were definitely.. not working or missing, after the update - and re-installing new ones did nothing to fix the problems. Except for the card reader.

I did actually temporarily fix my issue, by going to Settings>Update & Security>Recovery and selecting "Go back to previous build". Thankfully the process didn't take too long, and went smoothly - it's as if nothing happened, everything is working beautifully now, on version 1703 (Build 15063.909).

I am sure there are plenty of maniacs on the forum screaming that Windows 10 behaves like malware and that they don't appreciate it breaking itself, and those mandatory updates. I didn't need this today, it ruined my whole day. I'm not any more vulnerable than those users who update regularly. I wish there was a way to permanently break windows update so that it would not break all my stuff randomly again in the future.

Once again, thank you all so much for help, and apologies for not responding sooner...

TheDeerDude, Feb 18, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

Interesting it's ok on 1703. Something went wrong during the upgrade.

Thing is, you'll be offered the upgrade again. You really have two options.
    1. Create a disk image to robustly secure what you have now (which we recommend to everyone as a matter of routine- many advantages- e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) - so if something really goes wrong you can restore your system from the disk image.

Then attempt the upgrade again

You can do that manually, by downloading the iso, then upgrading at a time of your choosing.

2. You can hide the upgrade to 1709 when it's offered - e.g. using Windows Update Minitool to scan for , find it and hide it; you'll get updates to 1703, and be offered the next upgrade eventually.

Your PC seems to come with '10, so drivers really shouldn't be a problem..

A further possibility is to set updates to Notify. Again, an option with Windows Update Minitool

I don't like nasty surprises- I have Pro, and have updates so set so they occur when I want.

Also, using Windows Active Hours to limit when a restart can occur is useful.

dalchina, Feb 18, 2018
  9. zbook New Member
    zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. No sound, USB ports not working after latest updates - Similar Threads - sound USB ports

2. Usb port stop working after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usb port stop working after update: Usb port stop working after I restarted from update.The update stopped in the middle then i restarted it but it stops again then i reinstalled the windows....
  3. Usb port stop working after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usb port stop working after update: Usb port stop working after I restarted from update.The update stopped in the middle then i restarted it but it stops again then i reinstalled the windows....
  4. usb ports do not work after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    usb ports do not work after update: After updating windows, my usb ports do not work. They send power, but my computer does not recognize them. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-ports-do-not-work-after-update/4dcf7821-97e1-4194-929d-4b022e49641c
  5. USB ports not working after update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB ports not working after update: 2 of my USB ports stopped working with a recent windows update. I noticed they weren’t working when I had a warning screen pop up with every restart stating “USB device not recognized. the last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and windows does not...
  6. Usb ports and bluetooth disappears after latest update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Usb ports and bluetooth disappears after latest update: Everything was running fine, i don't know what and why it came to my mind to update windows 10 version 1903 with KB4497165 After updating windows my USB ports stop working , i find out in Device Manager under USB intelRUSB 3.0 showing code 10, i find alot about it on...
  7. Usb not working after latest update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb not working after latest update: Version10.0.19041 Build 19041.329 I downloaded and installed the latest update and ever since then my usb drives do not work on boot up. I can fix the problem by going to device manager - universal serial bus controllers - uninstall everything in there and reboot. I hate to...
  8. Usb not working after latest update

in Windows 10 Support
    Usb not working after latest update: Version10.0.19041 Build 19041.329 I downloaded and installed the latest update and ever since then my usb drives do not work on boot up. I can fix the problem by going to device manager - universal serial bus controllers - uninstall everything in there and reboot. I hate to...
  9. USB ports not working after Windows update

USB ports not working after Windows update: I had a update last night for windows 10 on my desktop, made me do it as I could not turn off my computer without it starting, I get up in the morning and get on, the usb ports work for 5 minutes at most before they stop working, all of them worked fine until this update, I...
  10. USB ports not working after updates

USB ports not working after updates: Hi there I have an Asus all in one Pc with windows. Since a set of updates, neither of my 2 USB ports seem to be functioning. Any devices phone. tablet, camera etc. when plugged in do not register and I cannnot transfer files or images from one to the other....