Windows 10: No Sounds, still have sounds.

Discus and support No Sounds, still have sounds. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I am new here. Hello. I upgraded to W10 from W764 and have always been able to choose No Sounds in Settings and have "no sounds". However, not I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jbow, Oct 5, 2015.

1. jbow Win User

No Sounds, still have sounds.

Hi, I am new here. Hello.
    I upgraded to W10 from W764 and have always been able to choose No Sounds in Settings and have "no sounds". However, not I choose No Sounds and I either get "no sounds (modified) or I can change that to No Sounds but I STILL have sounds.
    I do audio recording and do not want some unexpected sound popping up. For instance, I have a mouse pad on this laptop. If I double click the upper left it turns the mouse pad off. I cannot get rid of the sound Windows 10 makes when I turn it off or back on and I sometimes do this accidentally.
    It there a way to at least temporarily turn off all system sounds and still have the sound card working? I use a couple of external USB soundcards.
    This has not been a problem for me, I have a DAW, a desktop set up for recording but I also have my DAW software on my laptop. This is one of the things that is making me hesitate to move my DAW from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.
    Thanks and sorry if I put this in the wrong forum.

Julien

:)

jbow, Oct 5, 2015

2. Settings: No Sounds, I still have sounds. Need them to go away.

You can try going to Settings | System | Notifications and Actions and turn off notifications and particularly turn on the option to "Hide notifications when presenting" .

You can also disable the speakers. Go to Control Panel | Sound and click on the speakers and Properties and there at the bottom is a drop down box to use that device or not and you can disable it there.

See if that helps.

steve

Steve Cochran, Oct 5, 2015
  3. Settings: No Sounds, I still have sounds. Need them to go away.

I do some audio recording. This is an HP laptop. I upgraded from Windows 7 64bit. I have always been able to go to Settings and select "no sounds" and get just that... no sounds. Now I get No Sounds (modified). I can then disable the sounds that are still
    active, but then I STILL have sounds. For example I get a little tune if I accidentally double tap the corner of my touchpad and turn it off or on. This is a main reason I have not upgraded my desktop computer to Windows 10, it is my main DAW and I use it
    only for audio recording. If I cannot turn off all system sounds and notification sounds, I will not be happy.

I have not been able to find out how to do this. Turning my audio off obviously is not the answer because I am recording and doing playback.

So, HOW do I get "NO SOUNDS"? I realize that there is an option for No Sounds in settings under Sounds but, as I said, it does not disable all sounds, Do I need to do something in Notifications? If so, what?

Thank you!

Julien

JulienBowles, Oct 5, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, might help if you posted a screenshot as to how exactly you tried to disable sounds.
    I assume via the control panel, sound dialogue.

Have you tried rt clicking on the speaker icon in the tray, open volume mixer, then look for System Sounds; click the loud speaker below that to disable it?

dalchina, Oct 5, 2015
  5. jbow Win User
    No.. I can turn all my sound OFF, but I need sound just not notification or system sounds. I can easily just turn my speakers or headphones off. I just don't want some sound coming up while I am working with audio.
    I've used control panel settings sound sounds None and None (modified). I've used regedit to go to current user and entered the value as no in both fields related to sounds... I STILL get a little tune when I turn my touchpad (mousepad on laptop) off/on. Sometimes I double click the area of the pad that does this by mistake.
    I never had a problem until Windows 10, on W7, when I selected "none" under sounds, when I opened the sound heading by double clicking the volume icon. Now, like I said, I have none and none (modified) which to me makes no sense.. shouldn't none be none.. but neither is none.
    I hope this helps... I am not trying to turn my sound off, I am trying to turn all "sounds" off but still have access to recording and playback via whatever soundcard I choose to use.
    It may turn out to not be a problem but I think what bothers me is that it is like a symptom of an unknown problem and since I do audio production, that troubles me.

Thanks for the reply.

Julien

jbow, Oct 6, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi jbow, maybe you misunderstood- what I was suggesting should ONLY disable system sounds. That is, mute ONLY the speaker icon associated with system sounds.

Please confirm you have tried that with a screenshot to be sure. Thanks.

dalchina, Oct 6, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    Right-click on the volume icon and select Sounds. Have a careful look at Program Events list and find the ones associated with the mouse. Modify them so that no sound is played for these events.

spapakons, Oct 7, 2015
  8. jbow Win User

I'll look, thanks.

J

jbow, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. No Sounds, still have sounds. - Similar Threads - Sounds still sounds

2. I have no sound

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have no sound: in short, my computer has no sound, i tried looking in the device manager, and the "sound, video, and game controllers" folder is completely gone, i have been trying to fix this for at least a month now, i also tried rolling back my device, but since it was so long ago, there...
  3. I have no sound

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have no sound: in short, my computer has no sound, i tried looking in the device manager, and the "sound, video, and game controllers" folder is completely gone, i have been trying to fix this for at least a month now, i also tried rolling back my device, but since it was so long ago, there...
  4. Notifications have no sound

Notifications have no sound: Some context here: I want to upgrade to Windows 11, but my computer doesn't support it. So, to compensate, I changed all my Windows 10 sounds into 11 ones downloaded it off the net. Windows error and user account control notification sounds work fine, but those issued by...
  5. Notifications have no sound

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Notifications have no sound: Some context here: I want to upgrade to Windows 11, but my computer doesn't support it. So, to compensate, I changed all my Windows 10 sounds into 11 ones downloaded it off the net. Windows error and user account control notification sounds work fine, but those issued by...
  6. Random ding sound, audio is muted but still plays sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Random ding sound, audio is muted but still plays sound: A couple weeks ago my computer's audio started acting weird. There would be a random dinging sound and the audio was louder than normal to the point where even with all audio sources muted it still plays sound. After this happened my computer also no longer picks up my...
  7. I have no sound.

I have no sound.: My sound went out, and I can't update my drives. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-no-sound/b0215d41-57f4-449b-9fa8-845022ffd6f7
  8. Disappearing sound - still a problem

Disappearing sound - still a problem: One of the most exciting problems is disappearing sound when playing a video. My beloved bug. The only solution I know is restart. Does anyone know anything better that would not require a degree in IT since I do not have one?...
  9. I have no sound....

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I have no sound....: After playing a game on steam my game started to stutter, the sound and my control went out, then my pc crashed. When i turnt it back on i had no sound. I check the windows audio in services and i re-enabled it. However my sound did not come back. I tried everything. I tried...
  10. Having sound issues

Having sound issues: For months I was able to transfer my Astro A50's from my Xbox to my computer and just go into my playback and recording devices and set as default and I would be good to go...until today. I was unable to set either as default, I was able to test them and get sound through the...