Windows 10: No standby in Windows 10?

Discus and support No standby in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ever since my first laptop, I've been in the habit of putting it into standby when a leave the computer for more than, say, 20 minutes with the AC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jfniss, Mar 16, 2016.

1. jfniss Win User

No standby in Windows 10?

Ever since my first laptop, I've been in the habit of putting it into standby when a leave the computer for more than, say, 20 minutes with the AC adaptor connected. Now that I've installed Window 10 on the laptop that had standby in XP and Win 7, I see that the only options for the power button are shut down, hibernation, and turn off the display. Unlike standby, the last option leaves power on the processor and hard drive, which I can see working intermittently when the display is powered down. Is there truly no more standby in Windows 10? If so, why?

:)

jfniss, Mar 16, 2016

2. E71-1 - No inbox/notification in active standby

I've been experiencing the same issue where that active standby plugin wouldnt show a notification. But I *THINK* I have it figured out from the clues in this discussion. This post is to benefit any other people googling for the solution. To my knowledge,
    this method will enable you to have the single line email notication on your Active Standby aka homescreen (where your calendar and meetings show up) in the format of Gmail (6). I believe the catch is you need to have less than 999 emails in your inbox. As
    a workaround you need to archive all extra emails in your Gmail inbox. A disclaimer: I am not 100% on this, so I will give you as much detail to replicate my scenario where it works, so adjust it for your own situation

I went through various deletes of my Gmail account in the Email settings area of the NATIVE messaging app (where text messages are).

If you look at Messaging --> Options --> Settings --> Other

There is a setting called "Number of saved msgs." I figured out the maximum of this to be 999. In my opinion this setting is talked about saved SENT messages (the setting above it is called "Save sent messages" Yes/No). Set this number to 999.

I assumed this 999 number of messages to be the limit for all emails out of a hunch. I went into my Gmail account on the web and pretty much archived a lot of emails except the recent ones. Archiving your emails does not delete them, but rather stores them
    outside of the inbox and are still searchable within Gmail. I made sure the number of emails in my inbox were under 900.

Next, I followed the steps we all know to put in a Gmail account via IMAP via the setup email wizard and some minor tweaking in the settings dialogs (Messaging --> Options --> Settings --> Email --> Gmail --> Connections Settings --> Both Incoming e-mail
    and Outgoing e-mail sections) using the guide: Symbian S60 - Gmail Help

It might also be worth it to set your "Access point in use" for both incoming and outgoing servers.

Under

Messaging --> Options --> Settings --> Email --> Gmail --> User Settings --> New e-mail alerts should be
    ON

Under

Messaging --> Options --> Settings --> Email --> Gmail --> Retrieval Settings --> there are no necessary changes (the next section will override settings related to retrieval amount and cause ALL emails to be retrieved.). Note that putting folder subscriptions
    may put you over the 999 limit. I don't know if the 999 limit applies to each folder or to ALL emails as a whole. If you do put folder subscriptions, the next section setting will automatically also override the # of emails from folders retrieved to be ALL
    as well. Experiment at your own risk.

Under

Messaging --> Options --> Settings --> Email --> Gmail --> Automatic Retrieval:

Email notifications -- Disabled (you can only have one or the other and email retrieval is more important than this unknown and ill defined setting)

Email retrieval -- Enabled or "only in home network" (more options will appear now regarding scheduling. Pick your frequency according to how long you want your battery to last and how important your emails are). If you choose "only in home network" I am
    inclined to believe that it will only use the access point you described earlier in "Connection Settings"

Out of this menu,

Under

Messaging --> Options --> Settings --> Email

Make sure your default mailbox is Gmail

If you go into Modes (Modes--> Home screen apps --> Enabled apps) at this point and try to put the "Email 1 notification" as active, and go into "Email 1 notification's " settings, and try to set your mailbox to Gmail, it will tell you to connect first.
    So lets do that and hope it works

So go to Messaging --> Gmail --> Options --> Connect and watch it retrieve headers of your emails from Gmail. Make sure that theres 1 or 2 *NEW* emails before downloading for testing out the Active Standby plugin's temperment.

Go into Modes while it is retrieving the headers of your emails

Modes --> Home screen apps --> Enabled Apps --> and select "Email 1 notification"

Go back into

Modes --> Home screen apps --> Go into the new "Email 1 Notification" setting there

Mailbox: Gmail

Preview: You have a choice of three

Header only -- shows your mailbox's name and # of unread mails on homescreen -- eg: Gmail (3)

Header and popup -- show the header described above in 1 line, plus when you hover over it, a preview of your emails in a bubble that includes Sender, Subject, and Date. To me, this is the most useful

Header and unread -- Shows the header described above in 1 line, and in a 2nd line shows the most recent unread email's Sender, subject, and date

Assuming you've put a audio tone for email alerts in Profiles --> Whichever profile --> Customize --> Email alert tone

Then once you head back to your home screen and once the email retrieval finishes, you should hear a audio sound, and see Gmail (3).

Good luck

stereoisomeric, Mar 16, 2016
  3. No WLAN in standby (N95)

That bleep word is meant to be P, I, M, P.

I don't know why they are hating on us

P

I

M

P

S

Just F.Y.I.

mission_man, Mar 16, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

........... I see that the only options for the power button are shut down, hibernation, and turn off the display

Which power button is that ?
    Would you please post a screenshot of that ?

Power button is supposed to offer : Sleep, Hibernate, Shut down, Restart.
    There is no Standby option in Windows 10 as far as I know.

No standby in Windows 10? [​IMG]

davidhk, Mar 16, 2016
  5. meebers Win User
    I have no hibernate on mine! Is that an option somewhere?

meebers, Mar 16, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Go to Control Panel > Power Options > left side, Require a password on wake up > Change settings that are currently unavailable > scroll down to Shut-down settings > check Hibernate > Save changes.

davidhk, Mar 16, 2016
  7. meebers Win User
    Ok Tx!!

meebers, Mar 16, 2016
  8. Edwin New Member

The closest you're going to get to 'Standby' in Windows 10:

Edwin, Mar 16, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    You are welcome.

davidhk, Mar 16, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    Hibernate can be removed by going into Command and entering powercfg /hibernate off. Sleep may be missing if Windows 10 did not install the proper drivers to handle ACPI. Look in Device manager and see what drivers are installed. Also you can troubleshoot with Powercfg by using the following in your My Documents directory to save the .html file. Sleep States: powercfg /a ; Energy report: powercfg /energy ; Battery report: powercfg /batteryreport ; Sleep study: powercfg /sleepstudy

This explains the Sleep States. Investigate Windows sleep states with the PowerCfg command - TechRepublic

bro67, Mar 16, 2016
  11. jfniss Win User
    When I click on "Change settings that are currently available," I get an error message "These settings can't be changed." I'm attaching three screen shots. (Please excuse the fact that they're not cropped--I can't find on the "Ribbon" the commands I use in XP Paint to edit images--clear, attributes, skew, etc.) Some background: I've been a happy user of XP since it came out and wish I didn't have to change now. I'm also a fan of Dell Latitude D520 laptops. Besides my main D520 running XP, I bought two used D520s on eBay, both running Windows 7 Ultimate (64b). It looks as if what was called "Standby" in XP was renamed "Sleep" starting with Win 7--it powers down the display, HDD and processor but maintains the RAM. My Win 7 laptop shows Sleep in the Start Menu and it works the same as Standby in XP. Recently, I downloaded the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and used it to upgrade on of the Win 7 D520s to Windows 10. The upgrade was mostly successful (I'm writing this now in Windows 10), but Sleep disappeared as a power option. Can you help me get it back?

jfniss, Mar 18, 2016
  12. davidhk Win User
    I am sorry. I can't help.

davidhk, Mar 18, 2016
  13. davidhk Win User

My last bag of tricks ................
    Assuming you have all the updates installed.

Right click at Start > Device manager.................

- expand Display Adaptors
    - Right-click on Intel(R) HD Graphics Family and select Update Driver Software...
    - Choose the option to Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software
    - Your computer should find and automatically install the updated driver
    - After the installation is complete, restart your computer

See if that brings back Sleep option.

davidhk, Mar 18, 2016
  14. jfniss Win User
    Thanks for trying again. I don't think I do have the latest Windows 10 updates. Windows seems to stall when checking for updates--to go into an endless loop. I looked for an answer to this problem once before--people on the Web said to stop certain services, delete the Distribution Files in the Windows folder, and then Restart. Do I need to do that?

jfniss, Mar 19, 2016
  15. davidhk Win User
    I have never done it myself, and for method like that, I would not make comment unless I have first hand experience.
    Therefore, I refrain from advising on this question.

davidhk, Mar 19, 2016
Thema:

1. No standby in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - standby

2. How to find what program is using SetThreadExecutionState to cause exit from Modern Standby?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find what program is using SetThreadExecutionState to cause exit from Modern Standby?: My laptop has been exiting Modern Standby for unclear reasons. Network connectivity during standby is disabled and ability to wake from sleep is disabled for all devices in Device Manager.Just had a situation where laptop was supposedly on sleep for 4 days, but it turns out...
  3. How to find what program is using SetThreadExecutionState to cause exit from Modern Standby?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to find what program is using SetThreadExecutionState to cause exit from Modern Standby?: My laptop has been exiting Modern Standby for unclear reasons. Network connectivity during standby is disabled and ability to wake from sleep is disabled for all devices in Device Manager.Just had a situation where laptop was supposedly on sleep for 4 days, but it turns out...
  4. UHD 770 Not Coming out of Monitor Standby

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UHD 770 Not Coming out of Monitor Standby: Win11 with all updates, motherboard is an MSI Z790-A which has an Intel UHD 770. Dual 4k Dell Monitors hooked up 1 via HDMI and 1 via DP. Everything worked find with monitors going into and out of standby mode until a couple months ago. I've tried installing the latest...
  5. UHD 770 Not Coming out of Monitor Standby

UHD 770 Not Coming out of Monitor Standby: Win11 with all updates, motherboard is an MSI Z790-A which has an Intel UHD 770. Dual 4k Dell Monitors hooked up 1 via HDMI and 1 via DP. Everything worked find with monitors going into and out of standby mode until a couple months ago. I've tried installing the latest...
  6. Laptop enters Modern Standby when screen turns off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop enters Modern Standby when screen turns off: I recently received my new Windows 11 laptop. I set the system to never go to sleep in the settings and in the power plan. However, when the screen turns off after screen time-out it also goes into Modern Standby. This causes my laptop fans to stop running causing the system...
  7. Laptop enters Modern Standby when screen turns off

Laptop enters Modern Standby when screen turns off: I recently received my new Windows 11 laptop. I set the system to never go to sleep in the settings and in the power plan. However, when the screen turns off after screen time-out it also goes into Modern Standby. This causes my laptop fans to stop running causing the system...
  8. how do i enable modern standby

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i enable modern standby: Dear Microsoft Support,I am writing to inquire about enabling Modern Standby on my Windows device. I understand that Modern Standby offers benefits like faster wake times and background connectivity, but I am unsure how to activate it on my system.I have searched online for...
  9. how do i enable modern standby

how do i enable modern standby: Dear Microsoft Support,I am writing to inquire about enabling Modern Standby on my Windows device. I understand that Modern Standby offers benefits like faster wake times and background connectivity, but I am unsure how to activate it on my system.I have searched online for...
  10. Laptop is crashing during Standby.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop is crashing during Standby.: Hi, my Laptop is crashing or shutting down during Standby. The Event Log can be found here. It did that a while ago. I uninstalled Windows back then and reinstalled it with a boot stick and it worked for a while. But now I'm at the same problem again. It shows other similar...