Windows 10: No window pops up when I plug in my USB portable hard or flash drive.

Discus and support No window pops up when I plug in my USB portable hard or flash drive. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I plug in my USB flash drive or portable hard drive I don't get a window that pops up. Both drives will make a sound and show up in ThisPC so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TrustMe, Jun 25, 2016.

1. TrustMe Win User

No window pops up when I plug in my USB portable hard or flash drive.

When I plug in my USB flash drive or portable hard drive I don't get a window that pops up. Both drives will make a sound and show up in ThisPC so I have to go there to use them. Is there any way to fix this?

:)

TrustMe, Jun 25, 2016

2. USB Ports not recognizing Phone or Hard Drive

Hello Windows people!

I have a Lenovo H50-05 running Windows 10. I can plug in a standard USB cord, and it will charge the device it is connected to.

However:

- When i plug in a flash drive, it will light up, but AutoPlay won't come up, and I have to go into my computer to see it listed.

- When I plug in my iphone, AutoPlay won't come up, although if I go into itunes or my computer it is there.

-When I plug in my portable hard drive (OWC Express), it won't show up in my computer at all.

I tried updating every single driver in device manager, and everything said it was up to date.

Auto play is turned on under settings and set to Ask Me Every Time

Really frustrated that my hard drive and iphone aren't syncing properly. I tried plugging them into other computers and autoplay pops up!

Thank you to anyone that can help!

Alyssa

alohagirl612, Jun 25, 2016
  3. Can a USB flash drive be formatted as a hard drive disk so its contents will be backed up with windows back up?

Thank you for responding. I am not using the flash drive for backup. I am using Windows 10 backup and want to include the files I have on my micro USB drive. I set up my libraries to save pictures and documents to save them to my USB flash drive which
    windows named D: USB drive. I back up to a portable USB hard drive. I set up backup to include the D: drive but when backup completes it says it did not back up D: because it is an invalid drive. Thank you.

roadside9105, Jun 25, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

I've seen that happen once in awhile when I plug a drive into the same port it was in before and it gets the same drive letter. I haven't had a problem with it as I nearly always have File Explorer open anyway intending to work with it. But I don't know of any fix for it, actually just haven't come across for a fix in my 'net travels.

Berton, Jun 25, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    You can turn off the Balloons in Properties with right click on task bar.

bro67, Jun 25, 2016
  6. TrustMe Win User
    Breton and bro67, thank you both for your replys. I found the answer to my problems. The setting is called Autoplay. For anyone else who comes across this, type Autoplay into the search box, and then just turn it on.

TrustMe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. No window pops up when I plug in my USB portable hard or flash drive. - Similar Threads - window pops plug

2. USB Ports not working: The Portable Hard Drive lights up when its plugged in, however my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Ports not working: The Portable Hard Drive lights up when its plugged in, however my...: Extra Info: This is the same for all ports. The same problem occurs to any portable device, not just the hard drive.I recently changed my power port because my laptop was not charging, only after i changed it did i notice the problem.I am using the DELL Inspiron 15 3000...
  3. USB Ports not working: The Portable Hard Drive lights up when its plugged in, however my...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Ports not working: The Portable Hard Drive lights up when its plugged in, however my...: Extra Info: This is the same for all ports. The same problem occurs to any portable device, not just the hard drive.I recently changed my power port because my laptop was not charging, only after i changed it did i notice the problem.I am using the DELL Inspiron 15 3000...
  4. When I plug in flash drive it comes up as mouse

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    When I plug in flash drive it comes up as mouse: My flash drive is recognised a a mouse https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-plug-in-flash-drive-it-comes-up-as-mouse/e8bc4748-e50e-4669-9b2d-4f564935c4ed
  5. When I plug in my flash drive it does not pop up anymore.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    When I plug in my flash drive it does not pop up anymore.: Hi.I am using a surface pro 7. My computer was able to recognize the drive perfectly until today. When I restarted it I plugged my flash drive in nothing popped up.At first, I thought that my USB connector was broken or damaged. I plugged an external mouse and an external...
  6. portable hard drive to USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    portable hard drive to USB: I have a portable hard drive and I am using a USB sync and charge cable. It lights up and flashes but doesn't show in File Explorer. It shows in Devices and printers but can't access it. Tried each USB port and on 2 laptops. Any advice please...
  7. External usb portable Hard Drives 500 Gb, Not recognised on plug in.

External usb portable Hard Drives 500 Gb, Not recognised on plug in.: Has not been used for 6 years. Buffalo mini-station and Western Digital. Windows says all drivers are the most recent. Being aged there are some terms bandied around online regarding this type of issue which exceed my level of competence updating chipsets, migrating, stuff...
  8. problem with USB portable drive when it gets plugged in

problem with USB portable drive when it gets plugged in: When I plug in my 2TB WD "My Passport" USB portable drive, a pop-up is always shown saying "Problem with USB Drive....." When I click on the bubble to scan the drive, no errors are found. The next time I plug that drive into the same USB port, the pop-up is shown again and...
  9. USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive

USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive: my computer tells me it is connected but It will not pull up the contents of the hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/usb-30-portable-hard-drive/6d81eff8-30de-4c8c-af1b-a320eff49697
  10. USB Flash Drive vs Portable External Hard drive for everyday use?

USB Flash Drive vs Portable External Hard drive for everyday use?: Hello everyone! Good day to you! For my laptop, I am stuck on deciding whether I should use a 128gb or 256gb flash drive or a 1tb portable external drive for my every day use like storing my software, documents etc. and use it for when I am out and about as well. What do you...