Windows 10: No Windows Boot Manager on dual boot system (7 & 10)

Discus and support No Windows Boot Manager on dual boot system (7 & 10) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Today I installed Windows 10 on my machine (ASUS N55SF laptop) for the first time on a separate hard drive. Now I have Windows 7 on my main hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by adj592, Oct 8, 2015.

1. adj592 Win User

No Windows Boot Manager on dual boot system (7 & 10)

Today I installed Windows 10 on my machine (ASUS N55SF laptop) for the first time on a separate hard drive. Now I have Windows 7 on my main hard drive and Windows 10 on my new drive (the latter being an SSD one). After installing Windows 10, I got a new boot option in my BIOS called "Windows Boot Manager" which is set as default, but it runs Windows 10 directly, I can't see any boot manager (I can assure "Windows Boot Manager" behaves this way because my BIOS lets me override the boot option, so that I can directly run any boot option, and this is probably the only way I can run Windows 7 currently).

If I go to Start → Advanced system settings → Startup and Recovery → Settings, I only see Windows 10 in the "Default operating system" drop-down menu, while I only see Windows 7 if I do this while on Windows 7. It's like the two OSs are not completely aware of each other.

Sorry if this was asked already, but couldn't find any similar thread.

:)

adj592, Oct 8, 2015

2. Dual boot system consisting of Windows 7 & Windows 10

Is it possible / permissible to alter an existing dual boot system of 2 windows 7 O.S. to upgrade one of the windows 7 to Windows 10 and leave the other Windows 7 as is? The result would be a dual boot system of Windows 7 & 10.

Billy Boy81, Oct 8, 2015
  3. How do I restore dual boot capability after Windows 10 clean install removed it

My computer was dual-boot with Windows 7 boot partitions on two separate drives. After upgrading to Windows 10, the dual boot provision worked fine. However after a clean install of Windows 10, dual-boot capability is no longer available. The boot partition
    for the remaining Windows 7 syBistem is intact. Only the dual boot option is gone.

I tried the changing the default operating system under System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery, but the only choice is Windows 10. Windows 7 isn't a option. I'm guessing that the clean Windows 10 install wiped out access to the dual-boot menu.

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Oct 8, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You probably installed Windows 10 to the unallocated space on the SSD and let it create it's own partitions? When you do that, Windows 10 also creates it's own completely separate boot partition and boot files. You will just have to add the entry for Windows 7 to the new BCD store created on the SSD when you did the clean install of Windows 10.

If you had created an empty, NTFS formatted partition on the SSD first - and point Windows 10 to the already created partition, then it would have picked up on the Windows 7 boot files and just added the Windows 10 entry to those instead of creating new boot files.

There is a bcdedit command (I think) that will add the Windows 7 entry to the new BCD store, but will have to wait until at home to figure out what it is.

You can also use EasyBCD to do it, or Macrium Reflect Free (at least with the rescue disc version).

NavyLCDR, Oct 8, 2015
  5. adj592 Win User
    First of all, thanks for your quick reply.

Yes exactly, I let Windows 10 create its own partitions. I will give EasyBCD a shot and let you know, thanks.

Edit:

EasyBCD give me this:
    Code: There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader. Default: Windows 10 Timeout: 30 seconds EasyBCD Boot Device: D:\ Entry #1 Name: Hard Drive BCD ID: {f78b49c5-6eeb-11e5-bdd3-ddc1c70d3e42} Device: Unknown Bootloader Path: Entry #2 Name: Windows 10 BCD ID: {current} Drive: C:\ Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.efi[/quote] Could this "Hard Drive" entry be my Windows 7 install?

Should I assign it a letter?

No Windows Boot Manager on dual boot system (7 & 10) [​IMG]

adj592, Oct 8, 2015
  6. genet Win User
    How to use the BCDboot command in Windows 8/10. -> link

genet, Oct 8, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Could this "Hard Drive" entry by me Windows 7 install?

Should I assign it a letter?

No Windows Boot Manager on dual boot system (7 & 10) [​IMG]
    [/quote] I would first use the Add New Entry option, then the upper half section of the add new entry screen to add the Windows 7 drive letter to the boot menu. See if all that works. I'm not exactly sure what the first entry is for.

NavyLCDR, Oct 8, 2015
  8. adj592 Win User

Thanks guys, I got it working.

First I tried the "Add New Entry" option that gave me this:

Entry #4
    Name: Microsoft Windows 7
    BCD ID: {f78b49cb-6eeb-11e5-bdd3-ddc1c70d3e42}
    Drive: F:\
    Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

This made the Windows 10 Boot Manager GUI show up, but the "Microsoft Windows 7" option didn't work (also it had a generic icon, not the one with number 7). What it did was basically restarting my system completely twice and then got back to the boot manager screen.

After that I ran bcdboot F:\windows (where F is my Windows 7 drive letter as seen from Windows 10) on Windows 10 and this created a working boot option for Windows 7 that looks like this from EasyBCD:

Entry #2
    Name: Windows 7
    BCD ID: {default}
    Drive: F:\
    Bootloader Path: \windows\system32\winload.efi

By the way I still haven't managed to get my audio working on Windows 10 (my audio device is missing from Device Manager), but now I have a weird problem as I also have no audio on Windows 7 when I boot through the Windows Boot Manager (I tried both the Windows 10 GUI and the classical Windows 7 boot manager using bcdboot %windir% to switch between them), while my audio works fine when I override the boot to my main disk where I have Windows 7, thus skipping the boot manager. I will post here if I find a solution, otherwise I'll open a new thread.

adj592, Oct 9, 2015
  9. adj592 Win User
    OK, after hours of internet search and testing a found a working solution to my audio problem. I decided to do a clean Windows 10 install trying to install the system on an already formatted partition, but it just wouldn't let me, so I ended up doing the same install again (I let Windows 10 install its own partitions) and got back to status quo.

This time, though, I decided to run bcdboot X:\windows from Windows 7. Again, the Windows Boot Loader option in my BIOS (which was default after the install of Windows 10) directly ran Windows 10, without any boot manager showing up. This is because the bcdboot command (which I ran on Windows 7) only affected my main disk (where I have Windows 7 installed), in fact choosing my main disk as boot option in my BIOS brought me to the Windows Boot Manager where I could choose between Windows 10 and 7.

Here's what fixed the audio problem (step by step guide below):
    Starting Windows 10 from the "Windows Boot Loader" option in your BIOS will always give you no audio because somehow this is Windows-10-controlled, but starting it from your main disk boot option (i.e. where you have Windows 7), so that you can choose Windows 10 from the boot manager, instantly gives you the audio (or at least you start seeing the "working" icon on the system tray and from there it's just a matter of drivers, which is a piece of cake compared to all the rest) because this boot option is somehow Windows-7-controlled.

I don't know if this could be related to the fact that I had to install Windows 10 on a GPT partition (MBR wouldn't let me) as was suggested here.

Hope this could save some frustration to somebody.

adj592, Oct 10, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Turning off fast startup in Windows 10 solves a lot of problems that people have when dual booting with Windows 7.

NavyLCDR, Oct 10, 2015
  11. adj592 Win User
    I just tried that out (out of curiosity), but still no go when I boot Windows 10 from the Windows-10-disk-controlled boot manager option in my BIOS ("Windows Boot Manager"), not to be confused with the Windows 10 GUI boot manager, which works just fine.

adj592, Oct 10, 2015
  12. adj592 Win User
    I thought I'd just post a little guide.

This is the only thing that worked on my ASUS N55SF dual boot system: Win7 on HDD (MBR) and Win10 on SSD (GPT).

Step 1
    Assuming that you have already Win7 installed on your primary disk, install Win10 on your secondary disk.

Step 2
    When install is done, enter your BIOS and go to the Boot section. There you should see "Windows Boot Manager" as your default boot option. Change it so that your primary disk (where you have Win7 installed) becomes your default boot option (it should be something like "P0:" followed by your disk model number, mine is "P0: ST9750423AS"). Save and restart.

Step 3
    Now Win7 should start automatically (no boot manager showing up). Enter Win7, open an elevated command prompt and run
    bcdboot X:\windows
    where X is the Win10 system partition as seen from Win7, typically E, F, G or H.

Step 4
    Restart. You should now see the Windows Boot Manager (probably the Windows 10 GUI boot manager). Select Windows 10, install your audio drivers (if you already have, I suggest you uninstall them and restart before doing this), restart and you're done.

adj592, Oct 10, 2015
  13. No Windows Boot Manager on dual boot system (7 & 10)

Not to revive an old thread, but it sounds similar enough to my situation that someone can probably direct me easily from here. I have an old PC that my son wants to take the HDD out for his new build. It has Windows 7 on it. I installed a new HDD into the old system that I want to get working. I set up the new drive while using the old OS. Once formatted, I installed Windows 10 on it. I assumed I could then remove the old HDD and it would just boot to the new HDD. However, it doesn't seem to boot from it. In the bios, there is no boot manager which I do see with the other drive in. So can I use the EasyBCD program to set up something on the new drive OS so it will actually boot from it? As is, without the old drive in, I just get a screen that says "Enter bootable device and press any key" or something like that.

frostbyte3964, Feb 26, 2017
  14. AddRAM Win User
    You are very confusing. What do you mean you setup the new drive with the old OS, you should let the Windows 10 installer do that, you should be installing to unallocated space anyway, so there`s no need to set it up.

You should have removed the old drive before installing Windows 10, try again.

May I ask, why did you pull an old drive to put in a new system ?

Why didn`t your son get a solid state drive for his new build ?

AddRAM, Feb 26, 2017
  15. I tried just plugging in the new drive as it arrived in the box new and it wasn't even recognized. It just went to the screen to connect a bootable drive and hit any key.

So as it is, do I need to use the disk management screen to somehow get it back to unallocated?

frostbyte3964, Feb 26, 2017
Thema:

1. No Windows Boot Manager on dual boot system (7 & 10) - Similar Threads - Boot Manager dual

2. Dual booting Windows 7 and 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting Windows 7 and 10: I have a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium, boot mode is 'Legacy BIOS in UEFI secure boot not supported', motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87X-D3H with a 100 Mhz bus, 16GB memory and 'UEFI: American Megatrends F5 05/16/2013' with a 250GB SSD. I want to dual boot with W7 and W10....
  3. Windows 7/10 dual boot?

Windows 7/10 dual boot?: About time I changed to Windows 10 (Pro) I guess. However, I would perhaps (still mulling pros and cons) like to have a dual boot with my current Windows 7 (Home) - the PC is 99% used for gaming (X-Plane 11) and some of the older hardware I use, and want to keep, such as a...
  4. Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10: I have Windows 7 on my C: drive, I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft onto a USB connected SATA drive on my laptop. (drive F:) When I go to install Windows 10 it does not ask me what drive I want to install it to. Will it automatically install to the F: drive since that is...
  5. Dual booting Windows 10 and 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Windows 10 and 7: I have a machine with the following specs: i5 3570K 8GB DDR3 1600 Z77 Pro4-M HD7950 1x1TB WD Blue (D:\ and F:\ Windows 7 x64) 1x250GB Seagate Surveillance HDD (C:\) (Windows 10 x64) Windows 7 is installed on the 1TB drive, and Windows 10 is installed on the 250GB drive. At...
  6. Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot

Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot: Below is a listing of my rig's internals. This was my umty-8th build 6years ago, with the Crucial M4 SSD and the Program drive and the Backup drive. The 1TB game drive was added about two years ago. Note: This rig has been nothing but fast and trouble free. Also, I build...
  7. Dual booting windows 7 and 10

Dual booting windows 7 and 10: I have just upgraded windows 7 to windows 10... I've bought a new ssd to install windows 10, but it was installed over my windows 7(in the old ssd) in the process.... Articles in this forum say that you cannot dual boot windows 7 and windows 10, since once you proceed to...
  8. Dual boot windows 10 & 7

Dual boot windows 10 & 7: Hello I have a computer with windows 7 home premium 64 bit with a genuine licence. I have two identicle SSDs (with different serial numbers obviously) I want to run windows 7 on one. I want to put the image of the original on the second and have a dual boot. Software...
  9. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...
  10. Dual boot with Windows 10 and 7

Dual boot with Windows 10 and 7: When I ordered my new Windows 10 laptop it was ordered with a 1TB SSD, I expected it to be a single 1TB SSD, but it arrived with 2 SSDs, both of which are 500 GB and have different drive letters. The first SSD is the Windows 10 op sys drive with installed apps. The second one...