Windows 10: No windows Search after Anniversary Upgrade

Discus and support No windows Search after Anniversary Upgrade in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After the Anniversary Upgrade (AU), I had no Windows search on my PC. This means that File Explorer could not show anything under OS (C:\),... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Lake Grandpaw, Sep 25, 2016.

1. No windows Search after Anniversary Upgrade

After the Anniversary Upgrade (AU), I had no Windows search on my PC. This means that File Explorer could not show anything under OS (C:\), FreeCommander wouldn't even start, I could not download to any file other than a Quick Access file, some desktop icons would not work, etc. After many hours on Google, I found out how to fix it; I submit this input to help others.

First, it seems that AU did not activate Windows Search because one or more permissions were incorrect. Comment - thanks Microsoft - you had the complete ability to change permissions but you left me with a non-working system.

There was absolutely no message left on my PC after AU ran - at least one that a normal user would know about. Since my browser worked fine, I went to a bunch of internet sites before I found the problem - I was sure I had picked up a virus during that time but my antimalware program was one of the desktop icons that did not work. I could not use File Explorer to get to the disk to start the program manually. I couldn't even do a "dir" on the Command Prompt display.

After a complete virus scan and two malware scans convinced me that it was the AU, I went back to Google. Finally got to the solution - simply run Control Panel, then System Troubleshooter. Sure. Control panel doesn't work either after MS leaves you with no Search function. Comment - Microsoft, why put the Search troubleshooter under a display that doesn't work if you have a Search problem?

What you do is to go to Command Prompt (admin) and run
    msdt.exe /id SearchDiagnostic

That gets you to the diagnostic that you would have found going through the Control Panel. From there, there is only one more trick. The diagnostic found two errors - the blocking permissions and the fact that Search was not turned on. It offered to fix the problems but came back with a display that said that it was only able to set the permissions, it was not able to start the Search service. It is up to you to know that you simply run the diagnostic again and it will start the Search. Comment - Microsoft, why require two runs without any hint to the user?

To other users - hope this helps. To Microsoft - this whole scenario is crazy.

:)

Lake Grandpaw, Sep 25, 2016

2. how to get windows 10 anniversary upgrade

how to get windows 10 anniversary upgrade. i'm searching the microsoft web site but having hard time locating the upgrade

AndrewXimines, Sep 25, 2016
  3. Jigs20 Win User
    Microsoft Edge Disapared

After upgrading to anniversary issue of Windows 10, Microsoft edge Icon is disappear from my pc not showing in task bar, desktop or in apps. I am also unable to locate it through search option. Kindly help to solve this issue.

Jigs20, Sep 25, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

No windows Search after Anniversary Upgrade

Cortona is the new Windows Search. It is stated during the install process and on microsoft.com.

bro67, Sep 25, 2016
Thema:

No windows Search after Anniversary Upgrade

1. No windows Search after Anniversary Upgrade - Similar Threads - Search Anniversary Upgrade

2. WINDOWS Anniversary upgrade problem

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    WINDOWS Anniversary upgrade problem: After having installed the upgrade, I was asked for Pin code or Microsoft account password. None of my formerly used pin code or password is accepted. I tried changing Microsoft account password on my laptop. Did not help. What can I do to start my computer? 59029
  3. OneDrive Problem After Anniversary Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive Problem After Anniversary Upgrade: I just upgraded to the AU and all is fine apart from a problem with OneDrive which was working fine. I log in using a Microsoft account. OneDrive seems to have lost the account linkage it had. When I try to add my account, I get this message: [img] When I click on...
  4. BSOD after recent Anniversary upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after recent Anniversary upgrade: Hi, I'm having issues with my windows machine crashing and rebooting (mostly after being put to sleep). Any help will be very appreciated! 59652
  5. Fixing Autoplay after the Anniversary Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Fixing Autoplay after the Anniversary Upgrade: Hi, frustratingly, the upgrade sets all default settings (there are many) to default, and autoplay off. These steps are necessary (in my experience). 1. Follow this old fix: Fixes for AutoPlay Dialog Box Not Appearing When Plugging in a Removable Device • Raymond.CC...
  6. Win10 Anniversary "Search" not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Anniversary "Search" not working: I just noticed that my "Search" function does not work anymore. I press the Start button or the search icon in the taskbar and try to type, but nothing more happens. Any ideas why this might've happened? 66077
  7. Cortana Missing and Search Windows not working after Anniversary Updat

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana Missing and Search Windows not working after Anniversary Updat: Hello, Title says it all. I can't use the search functionality and Cortana is missing. Is there a way to reinstall it? 66038
  8. Windows Search no longer working after Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search no longer working after Anniversary Update: As the title says, my Windows Search has stopped functioning properly after the Anniversary Update. I can click on the bar, and it will bring up an empty window, but as soon as I type in anything, it closes itself. I've read up on some possible methods of fixing it,...
  9. Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade: Hi. The Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade is not available for me yet. What could be the reason for that ? Thanks in advance for any input. 61967
  10. Windows Anniversary. Is it an Update or an Upgrade ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Anniversary. Is it an Update or an Upgrade ?: I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this. Many are calling this an 'update', whereas a few are mentioning 'upgrade'. My understanding is that as an 'Update', we have no choice but to install it when released. i.e its just a normal Windows update. If it...