Windows 10: No Word document preview in file explorer

Discus and support No Word document preview in file explorer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; ​Since updating to win 10 anniversary edition I cannot get a preview of Word documents in File Explorer - all other files show a preview. This is on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Gerry Atric, Aug 13, 2016.

1. No Word document preview in file explorer

Since updating to win 10 anniversary edition I cannot get a preview of Word documents in File Explorer - all other files show a preview. This is on a Sony Vaio all in one PC with Office 2010. The mystery is that I also have a Vaio laptop running the identical operating system and apps and this does have doc previews. I have tried repairing the Word app and have compared all the settings on each computer but nothing brings back doc previews on the all in one - get the message "this file cannot be previewed". I would like to uninstall / reinstall Office but I do not have a disk and cannot find an official download of the 2010 version for which I have the key. Microsoft support were polite but stumped.

Any suggestions welcome

:)

Gerry Atric, Aug 13, 2016

2. Cannot preview Word Files

When I turn on the Preview Pane in Windows Explorer and try to preview a Word Document, I receive the error:

"Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable."

and sometimes the error:

"Access denied. Contact your administrator."

PDF preview works. Are you supposed to be able to preview Excel documents? If so, I also cannot preview those, but I receive no error message; the preview pane is just blank.

a2915eaf-07e2-4058-9909-8799619b2998, Aug 13, 2016
  3. windows 10 explorer preview pane disfunctional

I am having the same problem, although slightly different.

With MS Word 365 (up to date in all respects) OPEN, I open File Explorer, locate the document I need to edit, click it once, and the Preview Pane displays...nothing, just white. I then double-click the document and rather than the instance of MS Word that
    is currently OPEN and in the background, Win10 opens a second instance of MS Word before opening the document for editing. And when I say it opens a new instance, it opens a completely separate MS Word, it starts with the blue box in the middle of the screen,
    the Word logo appears, it starts running all the add-in items, and then displays the document for editing.

What doesn't make sense is that up until a few days ago, the Preview Pane worked WITHOUT my having MS Word open, which is how it's supposed to work and has always worked for over 10 years now. It was only after my new HP Laptop had a hard drive issue a
    few days ago (new, have had it for less than 2 months, hard drive screws up)... Anyway, I had to restore Win10 and it dumped Office 365 along with all my other secondary apps. When I reloaded Office 365, the File Explorer Preview Pane no longer displayed
    Word document previews (or previews for any of the other MS Office apps). Also, side note - I've never been able to get Adobe to display previews of PDF files in Win10 File Explorer either, even though PDF previews always worked PRIOR to Win10.

So, with regard to the previous posting, this is NOT a normal issue...

"Essentially, there is no proper fix to the problem. The workaround requires that you open the program for which you want to see previews in File Explorer. For example, as long as you have Word open, you should be
    able to see previews in File Explorer. "

I have a suspicion that it's a known Win10 bug and Microsoft just hasn't gotten around to fixing it yet, so until then they are telling everyone "... What? Preview worked before but not now? That's crazy talk... It's always been this way."

Michael Steerman, Aug 13, 2016
  4. No Word document preview in file explorer

SOLVED - uninstalled Office - reinstalled - now get previews in File Explorer

Gerry Atric, Aug 14, 2016
Thema:

No Word document preview in file explorer

1. No Word document preview in file explorer - Similar Threads - Word document preview

2. Preview Pane in File Explorer not displaying word document file previews

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Preview Pane in File Explorer not displaying word document file previews: I have the same issue as the one described in this locked thread.Win10 File Explorer Preview for Word Docs not working - Microsoft CommunityI have tried all the suggestions in the OP.I ran Office Quick repair.I ran Office On-Line repair.I have uninstalled and then installed...
  3. Preview Pane in File Explorer not displaying word document file previews

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preview Pane in File Explorer not displaying word document file previews: I have the same issue as the one described in this locked thread.Win10 File Explorer Preview for Word Docs not working - Microsoft CommunityI have tried all the suggestions in the OP.I ran Office Quick repair.I ran Office On-Line repair.I have uninstalled and then installed...
  4. Preview Pane in File Explorer not displaying word document file previews

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. in preview pane of windows explorer word documents comments are not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
    in preview pane of windows explorer word documents comments are not showing: in preview pane word documents comments are not showing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-preview-pane-of-windows-explorer-word-documents/7ce7fa88-e163-43e8-8dcd-94bdcee5fc9b
  6. in preview pane of windows explorer word documents comments are not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    in preview pane of windows explorer word documents comments are not showing: in preview pane word documents comments are not showing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-preview-pane-of-windows-explorer-word-documents/7ce7fa88-e163-43e8-8dcd-94bdcee5fc9b
  7. in preview pane of windows explorer word documents comments are not showing

8. File Explorer will not preview Excel documents.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer will not preview Excel documents.: I am running Windows 11 with all updates and Office 365. File explorer will preview all documents word, pdf, etc EXCEPT Excel files. Set up a Temporary User account and Excel previewer works! How do I determine the difference between the Temporary User account and my Lip505...
  9. File Explorer will not preview Excel documents.

File Explorer will not preview Excel documents.: I am running Windows 11 with all updates and Office 365. File explorer will preview all documents word, pdf, etc EXCEPT Excel files. Set up a Temporary User account and Excel previewer works! How do I determine the difference between the Temporary User account and my Lip505...
  10. File Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder if Preview is on and Word document is selected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder if Preview is on and Word document is selected: File Explorer hangs when selecting Word doc in OneDrive folder if Preview is on. It doesn't hang with any other file type that I've tried, including Excel or PDF. I've disconnected and re-connected several times and disabled Quick access. Using Windows 10 Pro....