Windows 10: Non Admin acct questions

Discus and support Non Admin acct questions in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Setting up new machine. I first created an Admin acct on my wife's new machine when it started the OOBE questions etc. I got that acct all setup and... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by RBT, Mar 7, 2018.

1. RBT
    RBT Win User

Non Admin acct questions

Setting up new machine. I first created an Admin acct on my wife's new machine when it started the OOBE questions etc.
    I got that acct all setup and then updated (long time downloads) and installed a few apps. Everything working fine there.

Ok now I've set up a Non Admin user acct for general use to surf web etc. Everything ok except this,

When I right click on the windows flag (lower left screen) instead of seeing what I see in the main admin acct (like System, Network, Cmd Console etc) I only see the new Start Menu.

In fact I see the Start Menu whether I left or right click, both the same.

And what is worse when I right click on an item in the Apps List, I don't get the usual Unpin from Start etc. Instead the app starts. Everything operates the same with a left or right click ???

Also I can't sign out of this acct and then log in to the Admin acct (like I can from the Admin). Rather I have to restart.

This doesn't make any sense. I realize it's a non admin privilege acct but it's acting crippled for normal functions.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to what's going on?

:)

2. Windows 10 Store Not Opening

I have same issue here. My admin acct won't open store but daughters non-admin acct will. Any fixes provided to date? This is crazy!

DelfinoFlores, Mar 7, 2018
  3. RB22531 Win User
    Local User Acct Not showing on Login

Bought my wife a new Laptop, came with Win10 Home. So I setup the 1st OOBE acct which was admin privileged. Got it signed into my routers secured SSID. Then got security software installed and configured. Did all the long time updates suffering my ISP
    (or it's leased modem) bumping me off several times. Finally got the machine all ready to go.

So today I went to setup a local limited user acct so my wife won't have to surf the web in an admin acct. After all this is Windows 10 a modern OS surely creating a 2nd Non Admin User acct can't be such an exercise to complete, right ?

Ok the actual creation goes ok in the Control Panel->Users. I sign out of my admin acct expecting to see the new non admin user login option come up on the login screen. Nope, just the Admin acct showing (the one I just signed out of).

So I do a total restart, same thing, no sign of new user acct on login at all. Only the OOBE acct shows.

So I login to the admin acct. I look and no files have been created for the new user, but I think that usually happens the first time the user logs in (?) so that's not a biggy yet.

I open an admin cmd console and run Net User and the new user is showing up in the net user display and it's active and it's local group membership is "users".

So I'm at a loss. Did I get a windows 10 that refuses to let me have a functional 2nd user acct ? Just can't imagine such being this difficult right out of the box.

Appreciate any info as I've searched several places and found nothing to help me

RB22531, Mar 7, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Non Admin acct questions

Welcome to tenforum @RBT

First - you can log out of this account without using a right-click. Click on Start (that's the name for the 'windows flag') then click on the user icon (near the left edge) - that's Option One in this tutorial. Options Three and Four would also work.

*Arrow Sign out of Windows 10

The right-click should work the same in a standard user account as it does in an administrator one, there's something very wrong here.

You may find that this was a 'one-off' and that if you create another standard user the right-click works correctly. If so, you can just use that instead and delete the 'bad' user.

Is this the Acer in your computer spec? If so, can you add the model number. If not, there's a page for the specs of a 2nd system in the specs.

Bree, Mar 7, 2018
  5. RBT
    RBT Win User
    Thanks I have deleted that User.
    Windows 10 is so convoluted that I'm not doing anything else till I go buy some extra USB sticks to make an EaseUs Bootdisk so I can at least restore the image as I have it now.

I've been using every version of windows since 3.1 and DOS before that. Every new version makes it difficult to find or do key things but Windows 8 and 10 takes the cake. The best versions were XP (though some insecurities) and Win7. I've tried to give Windows 10 the benefit of the doubt cause there are some things about it that show improvement in a few areas.

But the more I have to setup or do anything with it (other than google or Facebook) I'm becoming more disillusioned with it as a complete exercise in futility.

Especially if you have an OEM home version. All of our laptops have at least 6 gig of ram and new processors. But the phrase "Please Wait" is an understatement for win 10. And that's if you're lucky, sometimes it's just a blank screen while you walk away and come back later to the "Please Wait" with the 5 little circles following each other around the circle of dysfunction. It's no wonder many retired folks have given up computers completely.

Thank you for your input though, that's exactly what I did. I will now take my place in the circle rotating around until I can find a decent OS that runs my apps.

6. Bree New Member
    Yes, I've been using Windows since 3.1 too, worked in IT support and network admin since Win'95/NT4 and am retired now.

I'm sorry to hear your experience of Win10 has been a bad one, mine has been quite the opposite. I found the upgrade to 10 gave my OEM Win7 Home machines a new lease of life, faster and more stable than Win7 on the same hardware. I still use Win7 on and XP on a couple of old machines (and, though I hardly use it now, still have a working '95 machine). Of them all I prefer 10.

Bree, Mar 7, 2018
  7. RBT
    RBT Win User
    Ok I bought some USB sticks, did an EaseUs system image backup and created an EaseUs WinPE Bootdisk.

So today I try again after all this is Windows 10 a modern OS surely creating a 2nd Non Admin User acct can't be such an exercise to complete, right ?

BTW I'm running Win10 Home came on OEM new Laptop purchase.

Ok so the actual creation happens without incident in the Control Panel->Users. I sign out of my admin acct expecting to see the new non admin user login option come up on the login screen. Nope, just the Admin acct showing (the one I just signed out of).

So I do a total restart, same thing, no sign of new user acct on login at all.

So I login to the admin acct. I look and no files have been created for the new user, but I think that usually happens the first time the user logs in (?) so that's not a biggy yet.

I open an admin cmd console and run Net User and the new user is showing up in the net user display and it's active and it's local group membership is "users".

So I'm at a loss. Did I get a windows 10 that refuses to let me have a functional 2nd user acct ?

Appreciate any info as I've searched several places and found nothing to help me

If I don't get anything the works I guess at some future date I'll do full restore on it and start all over again.

8. Bree New Member

Non Admin acct questions

I think you may just be looking in the wrong place. When you sign out the sign in screen and password box will be for the account that has just signed out. It's the same for a restart, the sign in screen will be for the last user that had signed in.

Sign out, then look for a list of names in the lower left corner of the sign in screen. All available accounts should be listed there, click on the one you want to change the sign in screen to be for that user. See the screenshot at step 2 in this tutorial.

Sign in to Windows 10

Correct, the user folder is not created until the first sign in.

Bree, Mar 9, 2018
  9. RBT
    RBT Win User
    Oh geez I'm must sound pretty stupid for you to think that. But I realize you're just trying to cover all the bases and I appreciate that. But no I fully realize where the users would be because they've been somewhere like that on all versions of windows. Not to mention they were there in my last attempt at creating a user when the right click did not work. Remember I deleted that one.

No they are not showing and I've tried several so called fixes that I found on the net. This same problem has been showing up in one flavor or another since 2016 on Windows 10 and some of the posts are on Microsoft's own acct questions.

Anyhow nothing worked, I'm turning the machine over to my wife tomorrow as I now have all her email and stuff moved from her old machine. She will just have to use the Out of the Box Admin acct. It will be a more vulnerable method of exposure but she does have Norton running that has protected me better than others I've tried over the years.

At some date in the future when I don't have other issues pending I will come back to this and do a complete recovery just to get a second user. Something is mucked probably in the first attempt to create a user when the right click did not work. I can't imagine what since it was done in the control panel same as the second.

BTW I am creating LOCAL user accts. I have no desire get into the email etc stuff of the MS accts. I've read other stories about that as well. But I just don't need it anyhow. But probably because MS is pushing that type of account creation it might not be as robust on local acct creation.

Thank for your help in any case.

10. Bree New Member
    Until we've seen a few posts it's difficult to judge how experienced a new poster is, so yes, like you say covering all the bases - sorry.

There is one more 'base' to check though - try switching users. Click on Start, then on your 'User' icon. There should be a list of other users there too. Click on one and you can sign in that way.
    Switch User in Windows 10

Another possibility is that for some odd reason new accounts are created as disabled. That would explain not seeing it at the sign in screen, only active accounts will be shown.

You can check if that's the case in a command prompt with the command net user username and if it isn't active, in an elevated prompt you can make it so. See the tutorial: Enable or Disable Account in Windows 10

And we still haven't addressed the nagging question of there apparently being two left-click buttons and no right-click one *Sad

It's beginning to feel like a clean install is needed, or at a minimum an in-place repair install (that is, if you've already installed lots of apps and want to avoid the hassle of reinstalling them).

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

You didn't say if you built this new system for your wife and installed windows yourself, or bought an OEM machine. If it's OEM, a factory reset is another possibility.

Not as vulnerable as you might think. In 10 even an admin account is running at standard user privilege most of the time. That's why you'll see the UAC prompt, or have to click a OK on a box that says 'you need to use administrator rights to do this'. As long as you are careful not to blindly click OK each time you should be as safe as a standard user.

Thema:

Non Admin acct questions

1. Non Admin acct questions - Similar Threads - Non Admin acct

2. bypass user acct admin password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bypass user acct admin password: i bought a laptop 2nd hand an the user account installed is password protected as an admin account, i cant even use anything in control panel without password it wont let me add my printer, i dont mind doing a complete wipe ...but i have no windows operating system to...
  3. bypass user acct admin password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bypass user acct admin password: i bought a laptop 2nd hand an the user account installed is password protected as an admin account, i cant even use anything in control panel without password it wont let me add my printer, i dont mind doing a complete wipe ...but i have no windows operating system to...
  4. Run as Admin for Non Admin user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Run as Admin for Non Admin user: We have an app called 2020 on local machines and there are catalogs that need to be updated monthly. The catalogs are in the Azure cloud server. I was hoping to use this option runas /user:ComputerName\Username /savecred "C:\path\to\app.exe but the app is app to do the...
  5. Run as Admin for Non Admin user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Run as Admin for Non Admin user: We have an app called 2020 on local machines and there are catalogs that need to be updated monthly. The catalogs are in the Azure cloud server. I was hoping to use this option runas /user:ComputerName\Username /savecred "C:\path\to\app.exe but the app is app to do the...
  6. Another only admin acct hidden

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Another only admin acct hidden: (Thanks to W10 Tweaker for the redirect.) Ref: Hidden Administrator account, no backup admin W10H 1909 (18363.815), ASUS laptop i5-8250, x64, 8GB, 250SSD. So I did the same thing. Working on my son's computer, annoyed that everybody's login shows up on the front screen. He...
  7. Admin password reset (non-admin)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Admin password reset (non-admin): pleas solv my problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/admin-password-reset-non-admin/01f6113b-936f-422a-a5d1-2ffa3d1455d6
  8. Admin acct

in Windows 10 Customization
    Admin acct: I am admin. I read that I should also have a standard user acct for everyday work. How do I set that up? Then how will I know which acct I'm in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/admin-acct/3fceec95-1516-406c-bade-b6610f105070
  9. Can't access Admin acct., admin files are still there

Can't access Admin acct., admin files are still there: I just transferred from Windows 7, and everything worked except for the fact that the admin account on the computer (also the superuser account) cannot be accessed. The account shows up in the Users file under the Local Disk, but I can't access it by signing out and signing...
  10. Make Exact Duplicate of Admin. Acct and Transfer It to Standard Acct

Make Exact Duplicate of Admin. Acct and Transfer It to Standard Acct: My new laptop (Lenovo P51) is about 3 weeks old and maybe the first or second day along with my login administrator account which I have been booting into I created a standard acct as well as a second administrator account. The reason for the standard acct is probably obvious...