Windows 10: non-destructive downgrade to windows 8.1 from disk

Discus and support non-destructive downgrade to windows 8.1 from disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 is completely broken now. It won't even start. It started with Cortana and my start menu not working, then I couldn't access store, or make... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tank95634, Apr 15, 2016.

1. tank95634 Win User

non-destructive downgrade to windows 8.1 from disk

Windows 10 is completely broken now. It won't even start. It started with Cortana and my start menu not working, then I couldn't access store, or make a new account. I tried checking the disk but no problems. I downloaded classic shell to get a working start menu, but I couldn't make any changes involving windows. Reset failed, safe mode didn't help. uninstalling programs didn't seem to help either. I tried all the tutorials and nothing worked. now, it wont even start. So I am trying to downgrade back to windows 8.1 but there are no options to do the downgrade in a non-destructive way. Is there any way to do the downgrade without deleting all the files? Is there some kind of rescue disk I'm not aware of? Thank you for your time.

:)

tank95634, Apr 15, 2016

2. Restart to repair drive errors

Check The HDD Health & Performance Issues with Hard Disk Sentinel Software.

<link removed>

Try to Run Non Destructive Read Test. Safety analysis for data

Make backup from the non system partition HDD for example Partition (D) and Run
    Write Test Destructive all data will be removed

The Error repair functions only available on registered version of the Hard Disk Sentinel Software.

Other Solution: replace the bad HDD drive for new one.

Regards.

IT Guy Viki, Apr 15, 2016
  3. JoeCorto Win User
    JoeCorto, Apr 15, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you should be able to Restore to Previous Version (Win 8.1 here) if you boot from Win 10 bootable medium, navigate via Repair, Advanced Options... provided it's < 30 days since you upgraded.

Do you have any system images (created using Windows Backup and Restore) or disk images created by 3rd party programs (free options available)?

These are really really necessary and save a huge amount of difficulty, pain and stress; do look into these eg Macrium Reflect (free) is highly recommended here, when you've got your system running again.

If you can't succeed in achieving a bootable system, and you have no backups, then you will need to see what you can rescue from your disk.

Otherwise, if you can boot to normal mode in Win 10, you can do an in-place upgrade repair install. Please post back if you'd like to do that.

Good luck!

dalchina, Apr 15, 2016
  5. tank95634 Win User
    Thanks! No repair options work, its been more than 30 days, and no disk images. Cant boot windows 10, it barely made it past he splash screen before hard crashing no bsod even. I just need to install 8.1 so I can recover my files. but it only has destructive option. it says if I want non destructive to launch it from within windows...

tank95634, Apr 15, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    So.. the option you're left with is either
    a. Connecting your disk to another PC and copying files off it
    or
    b. booting from a live boot disk, and copying the files to a network, uploading them or to a local disk.

Then reinstall Windows.

I doubt given all the things you've attempted that System Restore points (if any) would help, or even a technical approach to copy back a backup copy of the registry.

dalchina, Apr 15, 2016
  7. tank95634 Win User
    dam windows 10. thing is, I loved the OS until all this started..... I don't have a live boot disk where can I get one of those?

tank95634, Apr 15, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, plug "live boot disk" or "live boot CD" into a search engine.
    Many are free. Most now are a bit dated, but they work ok... one day unless people start updating them they won't have appropriate drivers I guess. Windows PE based to Knoppix- take your pick..

So long as you know how to configure your PC to boot from one...

Once you get back and running, remember to start using disk imaging.. not only does it let you restore your broken Windows, replace or upgrade the disk, provide a backup, but with Laplink software it lets you automatically install your programs on a new PC.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. non-destructive downgrade to windows 8.1 from disk - Similar Threads - non destructive downgrade

2. how to downgrade from windows 10 to windows 8?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to downgrade from windows 10 to windows 8?: how to downgrade from windows 10 to windows 8? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-downgrade-from-windows-10-to-windows-8/509d677e-b88a-408c-813b-13ccd4530b59
  3. How to downgrade from windows 10 to 8?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to downgrade from windows 10 to 8?: I have Toshiba laptop windows 7 core i3.So like years ago I upgraded it to windows 8 and it was ok, after that months ago i also updated to windows 10 and now its really slow and not responding as actual.So I downloaded the source of windows 8.1 from the website and tried to...
  4. How to downgrade from windows 10 to 8?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to downgrade from windows 10 to 8?: I have Toshiba laptop windows 7 core i3.So like years ago I upgraded it to windows 8 and it was ok, after that months ago i also updated to windows 10 and now its really slow and not responding as actual.So I downloaded the source of windows 8.1 from the website and tried to...
  5. How to downgrade from windows 10 to 8?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Downgrading to windows 8

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Downgrading to windows 8: I'm considering downgrading to win 8 because I had enough of win 10 updates. I'm sick and tired of it messing up my work. I'm a structural engineering student who has lots of projects, online lectures etc. I tried disabling updates guides and nothing works. I literally set...
  7. downgrading to Windows 8

downgrading to Windows 8: I want to downgrade my PC from Windows 10 to Windows 8 which was installed on my PC before. But I upgraded to Windows 10 about a year ago and cannot roll back easily. I found out that I have to restore the computer to the original state. I pressed Troubleshoot and then Reset...
  8. downgrading to windows 8

downgrading to windows 8: I want to downgrade to windows 8 from windows 10. Ive never had windows 8. I recently bought windows 10 for 180 dollars. and windows 10 is such a pain with the automatic screen resolution changes. I bought a new gaming monitor. whenever I restart my computer or come out of...
  9. Increase space on NAS drives (non destructive)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Increase space on NAS drives (non destructive): Hi folks I know a load of people on these forums use some sort of LINUX on NAS systems whether dedicated or "home built" for file sharing / media serving. A very common file system used these days is on those systems EXT4. Typically this reserves between 5% and 10% for...
  10. downgraded from windows 8 to 7(pirated)

downgraded from windows 8 to 7(pirated): i bought my laptop 2 years ago, and it was running windows 8, i had a lot of trouble with it and decided to downgrade it to windows 7, i pirated a windows 7 ultimate edition and my computer worked ever since, now i want to upgrade to windows 10, i have the icon, i reserved my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. non-destructive reinstall of windows 8.1 on windows 8 and through my windows 10