Windows 10: Non-Functioning Start Menu / Missing taskbar Icons

Discus and support Non-Functioning Start Menu / Missing taskbar Icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I seem to remember running across a post here regarding the problem with a non-functioning Start Menu button and missing or non-functioning taskbar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by johnpd, Dec 5, 2016.

1. johnpd Win User

Non-Functioning Start Menu / Missing taskbar Icons

I seem to remember running across a post here regarding the problem with a non-functioning Start Menu button and missing or non-functioning taskbar icons that indicated this issue had been fixed in the Anniversary Update. Well I don't think so. I was playing with a brand new laptop on which I had set up three users and have the latest Windows 10 build installed. I was switching between users ("Signing-off" one and logging into another) trying to verify what settings were enabled and changing them if needed. I was on one user for maybe five minutes and had changed some settings. I logged off that user and then logged on to another. The desktop took a little longer than normal to start up (bad sign!). When it came up, the Start Menu button did not work if I left-clicked it (right-click did work) and no icons appeared on the taskbar. I restarted the system and logged in again. This time the desktop came up correctly. So this issue still exists. Whether it is still doing things in the background when I sign out and gets messed up somehow, I don't know but it has been an issue since day 1.

JohnD

:)

johnpd, Dec 5, 2016

2. after windows 10 build 10586 update, start menu does not work

Neither the right-click or the left-click worked on the start menu icon for me. The windows menu key did nothing.

In fact, none of the "system" taskbar items (search, desktop, store, edge) worked. I could access the my installed Apps that I pinned to the taskbar.

I had 3 of 6 updates work well. Two had full lockups after the update with keyboard and mouse non-functional (Both were Lenovo thinkpad T410s), but I did a hard reset and then they were fine on reboot. The Acer D250 laptop described above had the non-funcitonal
    start menu and system functions.

RogerBarth, Dec 5, 2016
  3. PrGwar Win User
    Latest windows 10 update

There was an update to windows 10 (with verbal cues). I lost functionality of desktop icons, the taskbar, and several (non functional) icons got the Edge icon instead. How do I return functionality?

PrGwar, Dec 5, 2016
  4. Non-Functioning Start Menu / Missing taskbar Icons

I have just googled this same issue, it appears to have something to do with explorer.exe, if you restart it it seems to resolve this issue for now however I have yet to find a more permanent solution.

craigchaos, Dec 5, 2016
  5. johnpd Win User
    In looking at the Reliability Monitor, there may have been some app updates happening around that time. Possibly this may have caused the problem. The Event Logs has several 30000 millisecond timeouts waiting for a response from the BrokerInfrastructure service at that time. I have had this happen on several systems. I was able to recover by various methods all related to shutting down or restarting. Restarting into Safe Mode and then restarting back into normal mode has worked a few times.

JohnD

johnpd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Non-Functioning Start Menu / Missing taskbar Icons

1. Non-Functioning Start Menu / Missing taskbar Icons - Similar Threads - Non Functioning Start

2. Start menu and taskbar not functioning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu and taskbar not functioning: The start menu today is not working even taskbar does not respond and will make my Windows freeze however the strange thing is the search box is working properly without problem. I can make searches and will provide result on the other hand start menu failed to launch every...
  3. Start menu and taskbar not functioning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu and taskbar not functioning: The start menu today is not working even taskbar does not respond and will make my Windows freeze however the strange thing is the search box is working properly without problem. I can make searches and will provide result on the other hand start menu failed to launch every...
  4. Start menu and taskbar not functioning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Start menu, search, and other icons in taskbar no longer function

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu, search, and other icons in taskbar no longer function: I recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Today, the first four icons in the task bar stopped responding to the mouse including the start menu and search function see image of affected icons. The start menu still opens when I push the appropriate key on my keyboard....
  6. Start menu, search, and other icons in taskbar no longer function

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu, search, and other icons in taskbar no longer function: I recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Today, the first four icons in the task bar stopped responding to the mouse including the start menu and search function see image of affected icons. The start menu still opens when I push the appropriate key on my keyboard....
  7. 2020! Edge icon missing, Start menu not functioning.

in Windows 10 Customization
    2020! Edge icon missing, Start menu not functioning.: Click START = Search bar disappears for a moment I have tried all the "fixes" listed for the since 2015 no luck. powershell Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...
  8. non functioning start menu / windows icon after glitchy update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    non functioning start menu / windows icon after glitchy update: I assume Windows 10 downloaded an update yesterday because today I cannot open Windows explorer, or Cortana or Task View on the taskbar. Windows key not working but I never use it anyway. Cannot get to 'settings' due to non functioning start menu button on desktop. Would...
  9. start menu and taskbar is not functioning

start menu and taskbar is not functioning: what should I do to fix the start menu and taskbar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-and-taskbar-is-not-functioning/83811cce-2f9b-43de-9a33-7036cdec4a22
  10. Taskbar icons. start menu, action center not functioning

Taskbar icons. start menu, action center not functioning: Please help, taskbar icons (Windows app icons e.g. edge, win store, calculator, win defender, etc.), that includes windows start menu and action center icosns does not function when you click. how to solve. thank you...