Windows 10: Non-UAC Windows tries to launch Metro app (sticky notes) on startup

Discus and support Non-UAC Windows tries to launch Metro app (sticky notes) on startup in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi! I have an odd issue. I have disabled UAC (because reasons), which in term forbids to run all Metro apps - this is well-known and I'm fine with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Novgorod, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Novgorod Win User

Non-UAC Windows tries to launch Metro app (sticky notes) on startup

Hi!

I have an odd issue. I have disabled UAC (because reasons), which in term forbids to run all Metro apps - this is well-known and I'm fine with that because nobody needs them. However, on each startup I'm getting the "app can't open" error message, which I would normally get only if I would try to run a Metro app manually:

Non-UAC Windows tries to launch Metro app (sticky notes) on startup [​IMG]

I can't figure out why something tries to run sticky notes on startup. I checked all autorun entries (though I've read that Metro apps can't autorun anyway), so maybe some other process tries to run it (??), but how to find out? The message appears exactly at the moment of signin when virtually no user background processes are running yet. I checked the event log and get these 3 errors consistently on every startup:

Non-UAC Windows tries to launch Metro app (sticky notes) on startup [​IMG]

The first one is from the sticky notes app and the other two are the Cortana. All are attempted to run from my user account. Still, I can't see what's the source for that and for some reason only the sticky notes produces the "can't open" message, while launching Cortana fails silently.

Next, I tried to uninstall the sticky notes app using Remove-AppXPackage according to this tutorial (since uninstalling via "Apps & features" is disabled for sticky notes) and it disappears from the app list, but only until the next restart *really - it just comes back with the error message as if nothing happened...

I never used Metro apps, so I don't know much about how to debug such launch attempts. What should I do next?

The system is Win 10 x64 1607 Education (with latest updates).

:)

Novgorod, Jan 9, 2017

2. How can I disable "Startup" for Sticky Notes, on Windows 10 1607

Hi,

I just wonder how can I disable "Startup" for Sticky Notes?

What I need to say:

My organization has disabled any of Windows 10 metro app (?) such as cacluator, edge browser, and all the others.

Thus I can't start "Sticky Notes."

But once I tried to run Sticky notes, every time when I reboot PC it tries to run as "Start up".

Even I removed Sticky Notes folder at appdata.

C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Sticknote (Something like this directory)

Taskmanager -> Startup does not have Sticky Notes.

%user%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup -> Does not have Sticky Notes.

Where can I control startup for Sticky Note???

Windows 10 Professional, 1607 (14393.693)

Thank you for reading.

**Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.**

Hyunmin Cho, Jan 9, 2017
  3. How do I get Sticky Notes to run on startup after Windows 10 Anniversary Update?

I had to reply and add my question to this. I have the same problem with sticky notes not starting.

1) Started after an Update to the Sticky Notes App. Specific to this App.

2) First couple reboots, it DID take several tries to get it to start and Startup is VERY slow.

(By slow, I mean the app icon appears in the taskbar but the notes don't come up for 10-20 seconds...)

3) Manually added Sticky Notes to Startup. This DOES NOT start Sticky Notes, but Does try.

(To explain, a restart is preformed, the Sticky Notes Icon appears in the taskbar, then disappears.)

4) From this point, a single try to launch Sticky Notes is successful, but still slow loading.

I have not tried a restart from power off yet as there are so many irregularities with Windows 10 startup

and I wanted to just verify this one before entering this. After working with Windows on every version

since 95, I have a fairly good idea of what is important and what I can live with.

Seeing that I have never had this trouble with Sticky Notes until this last update I would make the

rash assumption that the update was the cause. I am speaking of a Sticky Notes App update that

was requested from the app GUI itself, not a Windows update.

Any information would be appreciated as I would like to continue using Sticky Notes and not have to

go back to leaving a text document open all the time just for this purpose. Notes are much cleaner.

IT Setup Guy, Jan 9, 2017
  4. cocus Win User

I have the same issue and I'm trying out some ideas.
    Please try this:
    1 - Enable UAC
    2 - Reboot
    3 - Sticky Notes will appear. Close it
    4 - Disable UAC
    5 - Reboot and see if the error message appears again

cocus, Jan 12, 2017
  5. Novgorod Win User
    Hey, I did exactly that and the problem is gone, thanks!

But what did cause the *!%#& sticky notes to autorun in the first place!? Some windows update or Office installation/update? We'll never know... Once it could run (UAC enabled), I closed it and it didn't reappear on the next restart. Afterwards, I could permanently remove the app with the method linked to in the first post and this time it didn't reappear after a restart - yay! Then I disabled UAC again, restarted, and everything was quiet - no sticky notes, no error messages, great! The event log still shows the Cortana errors, but I don't care for that because they're silent.

Novgorod, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Non-UAC Windows tries to launch Metro app (sticky notes) on startup - Similar Threads - Non UAC tries

2. Sticky Notes App disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sticky Notes App disappeared: My sticky notes app has gone missing entirely. It was working fine across two computers just last week, now it won't load on my laptop.When I try to find it in the roaming folder mentioned above there is no ..\StickyNotes folder. It is also missing from the start menu.When I...
  3. All Sticky Notes Opening on App Launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All Sticky Notes Opening on App Launch: I have a user with about 25 sticky notes. Every time he launches the app, all 25 sticky notes reopen despite having been closed before closing the app. I looked around for any obvious settings, but didn't see anything. We're running version 3.7.71.0, and are unable to update...
  4. How to stop Sticky Notes App from opening a bunch of notes at launch

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to stop Sticky Notes App from opening a bunch of notes at launch: When ever a launch Sticky Notes it opens a whole bunch of notes no matter how many notes I had open at the close of the last session. I think the notes that get opened are the most recently viewed ones. I don't have syncing enabled so I only view the notes from one device....
  5. Sticky Notes pinned to desktop on Startup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sticky Notes pinned to desktop on Startup?: Is it possible to have my notes pinned to my desktop all the time? Instead of having to open it everytime I turn on my laptop I would like it to just be there in my desktop at all times. Kind of like a widget. Is this possible? submitted by /u/JavaRuinedMyLIfe [link]...
  6. Problem with Sticky Notes app

Problem with Sticky Notes app: Hi people. I have a problem. My sticky notes not working. I already reset the app. But, it enters my account, and when it opens it looks like this. All white. I already removed it through powershell and reinstalled and it doesn't work. [ATTACH]...
  7. Sticky Notes won't launch

Sticky Notes won't launch: I'm using Outlook 365. On another computer, quite by accident, I discovered Sticky Notes. I started using them for a few months, they're OK not like older versions you could actually stick to the desktop, but... anyway, I found out that the program is associated with...
  8. sticky notes app

sticky notes app: after windows update, sticky notes app does not load/open. Is there another location I can retrieve my information!?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sticky-notes-app/df26ad92-9656-44c6-a045-ee8fab63c0e6
  9. Sticky notes app

Sticky notes app: I hate the new look (dark gray notes with a post-it-note colored title bar). Give me back my pink, green, and yellow notes! It needs tab stops so I can make columnated lists It needs to be able to change fonts or at least support fixed pitch fonts. (Yes, I know you can...
  10. Sticky Notes App

Sticky Notes App: The recent update of Sticky Notes has been very useful. Since I am a frequent user of this app, I would appreciate if more features could be added to it. 1) Adding colours to the text typed. 2) Increase or decrease of the size of fonts used. 3) Option to select a font...